.22 LR moderator on .17HMR

finreid

Very exciting, .17HMR enroute, as is a scope, however, I'm patiently waiting for my DM80 moderator to be made, which should take around 3 weeks! So, considering i should have the rifle and scope by next weekend, Im not going to be able to sit and look at the rifle for two weeks!

My question is; As there are lots of .22LR moderators which can be used as a .17HMR moderator, Would my old parker hale moderator on my Brno .22LR be OK to sit on an HMR?

Cheers,

finreid

Ive already ordered the DM80, because it is marginally quieter, and in my eyes, looks better on the rifle. I already have a parker hale mod on my .22. So i don't need to buy another mod if needs be, so the question is, can i use the parker hale mod on the 17 in the mean time. Thats all i want to know!

I could not get away with one mod for two rifles. Had to have one on ticket for each one

I'ts not a matter of getting aay with it, I have always used my moderators on several rifles and my fac is so worded.

Insist your licensing department do what you instruct.

Very exciting, .17HMR enroute, as is a scope, however, I'm patiently waiting for my DM80 moderator to be made, which should take around 3 weeks! So, considering i should have the rifle and scope by next weekend, Im not going to be able to sit and look at the rifle for two weeks!

My question is; As there are lots of .22LR moderators which can be used as a .17HMR moderator, Would my old parker hale moderator on my Brno .22LR be OK to sit on an HMR?

Cheers,

finreid

very little to be gained and more to be lost in tight moderator clearances IMO

I'ts not a matter of getting aay with it, I have always used my moderators on several rifles and my fac is so worded.

Insist your licensing department do what you instruct.

I have one mod for 6 calibres.

there is no specific listing for the mod to be used this way.

you either have a moderator on your ticket or not

The only difference in my region is the differentiation between "full bore" and "small bore"

I had a PES moderator on my FAC listed as a "small bore" moderator but when I explained that I wanted to use it on my .243 they said it was listed incorrectly. technically it is a full bore and they reclassified it. no other wording has changed.

generally the closer the hole diameter to the projectile diameter the quieter it will be (assuming thread to bore alignment is spot on.

you wont get much benefit from super tight tolerances in rimfires as the powder charge is so small.

my PES has a 6.5mm bore and a 6mm barrel. its about as tight as you can get at 0.25mm clearance.

significantly quieter than the range of other mods on .243's at my range