Beverly CTC NOE selection shoot

figgy

Went today after hearing people saying how much they were looking forward to it,hoping for some tasty rangey targets.Our squad and a few others we spoke to were dissapointed. A fantastic ground with most of it not used. Most stands were in the wood round the perimiter,due to the weather parts of it looked like the Somme.Never seen so many close in clays,looked in my choke case for my bayonet but forgot it,that was me done for. Not enough refs for each stand made for delays as the poor **** who were there marking had to trot back and forth between stands.A broken trap on one stand meant a delay trying to fix it,left just one trap throwing a single clay eight times.It was just not there day.Expected better what did others think of it. Some good scores in so the targets agreed with a lot of folk.

Atb figgy

Edit to make less long winded :lol:

Edited by figgy

Skeet in the woods, but 3 decent stands,however i still only hit78 of them.A trifle muddy. They look like they are doing lead reclaimation at the front of the woods., how on earth they will manage that with all the tree roots??? Anyway i have attended better shoots there but i guess they are all prone to trap breakdowns, refs not turning up and adverse weather.What did you get after your high gun of yesterday. from Auntie. :good:

Went today after hearing people saying how much they were looking forward to it,hoping for some tasty targets.

I was disappointed as were all of our squad and quite a few others we spoke to. A fantastic ground with most of it not used. Most stands were in the wood round the perimiter,parts of it looked like the somme.Never seen so many close in clays looked in my choke case for my bayonet but forgot it,that was me done for just became dejected. Not enough refs for each stand made for delays as the poor **** who were there marking had to trot back and forth between stands.A broken trap on one stand meant a delay trying to fix it,left just one trap throwing a single clay eight times.It was just not there day.Expected better what did others think of it.

Atb figgy

Personally I enjoyed the shoot today,pretty good mix of targets although some stands could have done with more distance on them :yes:

Talking to Hamish, who set the targets, he said he'd set them that way as the weather has been bad around here for the last couple of days...things could have been a lot worse :lol:

With regard to it being like the 'Somme' in the woods,that is due to the Lead Extraction going on at the moment, so yes it's a bit of a mess in there but in time it will be right :good:

Trap breakdowns happen but I think the ground and staff should be applauded for their efforts,can't have been easy setting the shoot up in the conditions we've had this week,I will certainly be attending the next one in October as lets face it there's not many sporting shoots in the north to go at :hmm: :hmm:

Azzurri

Have to agree really. There were too many close in birds although the variety of them was okay. Absolutely not enough refs and we also had one ref running between traps. It was really muddy but with all the rain we have had I guess that was to be expected.

It was my first time at Beverley and even with the things mentioned above, I enjoyed it to be honest. A few longer birds and greater use of the open land outside of the woods and it would have been excellent.

If they hold more sporting comps I will go again.

Ocean.

Good score Lynne especially as you said you dont like em close in nor me,I managed a dismal 71 birds only .Just seen my name on score list if had known they would put non comp on also,I would have put the card in. I'm now c class and from lancashire :lol::no: Started off well and thought this looks good,nice targets then got into the woods and the close targets :no: there were a couple of good stands in there,that tricky going away teal was hard and the rising L to R teal type target. I understand that traps break **** law but a standby trap would be good. The open area outside the wood was nice and dry underfoot,with the ongoing groundwork in the woods looked like trenching a cable in to me muddying everything up it might have been better to use it. I can see what the course setter was after close and quick to test, Azzurri someone did say to us another 20to30 yards further out and would be good,but i and some others found it too samey,like Lynne said skeet in the woods with some trap thrown in.Hope the next one they put on has more variation in targets and distance.How did you score Azzurri as I don't know your real name.Paulos would have lapped that layout up.

Atb figgy

Edited by figgy

Good on Alison for getting the scores up quickly.After the heavy winds we have had the last few days, i can understand the shelter in the woods made more sense, if i'm honest, we didn't find any stands without a marker, perhaps they had over slept and got in late.I hope they put more on as we desperatly need the grounds up north . from Auntie. :yes:Azzurri slotted in 89 i think.

Edited by 100milesaway

I think they probably used all their traps so it could have been a bit tight for a standby trap in case of breakdowns, that should change when the lead's weighed in ;):good:

I started on stand 1 and shot the stands in order,stand 2 was my and a few others downfall :oops: I dropped 5 there and managed to scrape a 89 by the end of play :lol::lol:

It would be nice to have had the tower in use today but I don't know what sort of condition it's in these days,but back in the day when I spent many hours up there working a manual trap it used to sway a bit in the breeze and the last time I was up there I had a great time shooting down on woodpigeons,but that's another story ;):lol::good:

Azzurri

Haha I looked at the high tower and thought ouch my back hurts just thinking about it. Well done Azzurri good knock. You must have been knackered climbing up and down that tower shooting pigeons like bolting bunnies. I started at 1 also,and dropped two on stand one and three on stand 2 missing second pair and took part of the tree out trying to get the second bird of last pair.They were the stands that made me think I won't get a high score today but I'll enjoy myself. Your right Auntie not enough grounds up north.Spoke to a shooter from Durham who shot from 12 first he had done eight stands by the time he got to us on stand four and had only dropped one clay, my card after eight stands looked like a knitting pattern for a one sleeved jumper :lol:

Figgy

i enjoyed the shoot today, no breakdowns for us or awol refs, the mud was to be expected as it's been heavy rain around here most of the week, target wise most stuff was close in but some good angles to make you think ! finished on 81 so happy with that for a trap shooter :good:

I enjoyed it, there were no silly targets they were all steady and easy to miss if you weren't concentrating

My only comment would be stand 2, which would of been better with the mini\midi ? close in crossers and the full size the longer bird, so basicly the other way around.

The rain started for us on the last stand and the wind really got up blowing the clays around quite a lot, after the recent bad weather they had the right idea to move into the woods for some cover.

There was a ref on every stand for us, and only one short "breakdown" and not to much que'in

I finished on 82 after making a mess of the stand on the raised platform with the simo going away...

After such a long break from putting on registered ESP shoots at Beveraly they did a great job overall, I look forward to shooting it again.

I enjoyed it, there were no silly targets they were all steady and easy to miss if you weren't concentrating

My only comment would be stand 2, which would of been better with the mini\midi ? close in crossers and the full size the longer bird, so basicly the other way around.

The rain started for us on the last stand and the wind really got up blowing the clays around quite a lot, after the recent bad weather they had the right idea to move into the woods for some cover.

There was a ref on every stand for us, and only one short "breakdown" and not to much que'in

I finished on 82 after making a mess of the stand on the raised platform with the simo going away...

After such a long break from putting on registered ESP shoots at Beveraly they did a great job overall, I look forward to shooting it again.

It may have been better to have the targets on stand 2 'On Report' :hmm:

Certainly not a complaint as it was THE stand that sorted the men from the boys today :lol: :lol:

Azzurri

No complaint, just a comment the Simo was good, but I think it would off been better with the mini crossing into the fir's and the large clay dropping, the second one was really getting out there by the time you had chance to shoot it.

Anywho's I got 5 you got 4 nuff said :P

Edited by Ian E

No complaint, just a comment the Simo was good, but I think it would off been better with the mini crossing into the fir's and the large clay dropping, the second one was really getting out there by the time you had chance to shoot it.

Anywho's I got 5 you got 4 nuff said :P

Shame it wasn't a penalty shoot out then :P:D:lol:;)

Azzurri

i believe i got 5 as well ! shot the single midi them opted for the safety first route of shooting the close standard clay first but the midi had lost all its speed and ended up aiming at at a 40 yard midi ! the midi needed shooting first but in reality the standard had disappeared behind the tree !