Slippery Jack

pavman

We have a fair few pine trees round the building at work, there are now quite a few mushrooms, an on line search shows they are prob slippery jacks, would they be any good with pigeon or rabbit? anyone tried them? or shall I just dry them out and smoke them :oops:

pavman

We have a fair few pine trees round the building at work, there are now quite a few mushrooms, an on line search shows they are prob slippery jacks, would they be any good with pigeon or rabbit? anyone tried them? or shall I just dry them out and smoke them :good:

pavman

Please make SURE you are picking the right shrooms Pavman.

Mistakes are expensive :good:

LB

Funny Thing is Trix wont eat any of the mushrooms that I pick unless I go first. :good:

May be that I did a Thesis on the use of poisonous mushrooms, and how to get away with it :good::no::no::no:

NTTF

Ive never found smoking mushrooms gives the same effect........

Bit like bannnana skins.. :no:

Never heard of slippery jacks....but as others have said,,,,,,,,,,,caution is the name of the game...make sure that you have the right shroom...............

Ask Roger..........http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/

I'd love to be able to help but my intentions of swatting up on mushies haven't progressed into any kind of real action. I just have to wander and wonder. :good:

Are there any really easy ones to look out for? That can't be mistaken for anything suspect?

Piebob

I`ve never tried SJ but my trusty book says that it is very spongey and better just used to flavour stews and casseroles etc.

Pie bob - the easiest 2 to learn are the oyster mushie,have a look in most supermarkets and you`ll see it.The reason it`s easy to identify is it is a grey/brown "bracket" fungus found in overlapping groups on dead or dying wood and if you look underneath you will see "gills" instead of the usual pores or spines which "bracket" fungus usually have and these run down the small stem they have.

Second,and a personal fave is the Chantarelle,Apricot in colour and smell and is like an umbrella shaped mushroom that is about to blow inside out(does that make sense ?)and is found under hardwood trees.It can be confused with the false Chantarelle but that is usually found under conifers.The main difference is the C has folds rather than the gills of the FC and the FC doesn`t smell of apricots

found the extract on this website: Mushroom

Slippery Jack

sculpture, acrylic paint

"Wildman"

This mushroom is a member of the Suillus group, boletes with a slimy cap. This one's cap is dark reddish-brown to yellowish-brown, convex to flat, 2 to 4-3/4 inches across. The white flesh becomes yellowish.

The tubes, which attach to the stem, may be whitish, yellowish, or olive-yellow. Yellow pores become flecked with brown. The spore print is dull cinnamon.

The stalk is 1-1/4 to 3-1/4 inches long, 3/8 to 1 inch wide, with a membranous veil that covers the pores when the mushroom is very young and becomes a sleeve-like skirt around the stalk later.

This mushroom grows under pine and spruce trees in Eastern North America from early to late fall, one of the last choice mushrooms you can collect.

The first time I got to gather this mushroom in quantity occurred when some mushroom lovers and I drove to a seashore habitat that had lots of pine trees. We were so happy to bag so many mushrooms, we left one person behind when we left (he was one of those slim, quiet, unobtrusive people who easily escape notice, and the car was quite crowded!)

After we returned and rescued him from complete oblivion, I went home and sautéed the mushrooms. They became a slimy, tasteless mess.

Next I peeled away the slime layer (which gives some people diarrhea) and made a cream soup with more of the mushrooms, pureeing them in blender with the other cooked soup ingredients. They were superb, and that's how I now recommend preparing them.