Old shotgun

I've been told that a family member has an old shotgun, this has been passed down from her grandad many many years ago, I reckon that it's not licenced.

How would I go about getting the gun on my ticket if it was passed to me as the gun is very old and has family ties. Or would it be better to get it destroyed.

I know the law requarding have a gun with no licence and I'm trying to advise them to hand it over to me or the police.

Have a look at it first as it may be pinfire or obsolete caliber and does not need to be on a liscence ie; Vintage (pre 1939) rifles, shotguns and punt guns chambered for the following cartridges expressed in imperial measurements: 32 bore 24 bore, 14 bore, 10 bore (5/8" and 2 7/8" only), 8 bore, 4 bore, 3 bore, 2 bore, 1 1/8 bore, 1 1/4 bore and 1 1/2 bore, and vintage punt guns and shotguns with bores of 10 or greater. .

Edited by Andy H

It goes without saying that if you do get it put on your ticket you may want to get the bores checked out before going crazy with a load of cartridges, also check the proof marks for the max. cartridge length, a lot of old English guns are only 65mm (2 1/2 in).

Few year ago my Aunt died, My Uncle was in a real bad frame of mind and asked my Dad to remove his gun. Dad rang me and told me my Uncle wanted rid of it and I was told it was an old double hammer under lever.

It turned out to be a round action double hammer shotgun with damascus barrels that had deeper pitting than our roads and the under lever wouldn't hold the barrels shut unless you held on to it. I took it in the garden and chopped it up with a grinder.

What a heap of junk. I was just glad he had the sense to ask for someone to take.it away to stop him doing anything stupid.

That was over 6 years ago and He still hasn't got over her death :no:

Your best plan if you don't know what it is is to let an RFD take it. They can then put it on your SGC or sell it for you. If you are sure as to what it is then there isn't anything stopping you putting it on your own SGC and notifying the police that you have it or just keeping it off ticket if its an antique.

J.