query about land suitability????

-ben-

i am hopeing to put in for a fac come next year im currently 17 be 18 next year i have a field that i have premmision to shoot a rifle on its about 30 acres no footpaths no roads within 400 yards and obout the same for footpath the land has a railway run down one side it has. its rather flat but everywhere round here is. was thinking bout a 22lr or 17hmr

cheers

I can't see it mate. To me, 30 acres on open ground is just about enough for shotguns. Bearing in mind a .22 can travel a mile or so, I'd guess that it won't be cleared by the police for rimfire. Give your FEO a call and see if they can tell you if the land has been passed for the calibres you want to shoot, then you'll know for sure whether its worth applying.

:)

i am hopeing to put in for a fac come next year im currently 17 be 18 next year i have a field that i have premmision to shoot a rifle on its about 30 acres no footpaths no roads within 400 yards and obout the same for footpath the land has a railway run down one side it has. its rather flat but everywhere round here is. was thinking bout a 22lr or 17hmr

cheers

The .17 Doesn't Ricochet like a .22, why not apply for both then get one and see?

You can always use a high seat if absoulutly necersary to help with a backstop.

WHy not see in you can go out and observe someone who shoots those calibers local to you?

It depends on the feo that inspects the field on the day . We have a farm with borders the motorway and is covered by Staffs police they have cleared it for 243 . On the otherside of the M6 is covered by Cheshire and they will only clear it for 22rf . The farm totals 350 acres but their word is final so I don't think we can offer you the advise you need . Make the call to firearms and ask the question and go get yourself more permission . You'll not take long to clear a 30 acre plot of bunnies with the rimmie so you'll have nothing to shoot in the future

The .17 Doesn't Ricochet like a .22, why not apply for both then get one and see?

You can always use a high seat if absoulutly necersary to help with a backstop.

WHy not see in you can go out and observe someone who shoots those calibers local to you?

Thats a myth .17 and .22 are both capable of ricochet, they tend to do so differently thats all. The .17 doesn't like sedge tussock one bit yet the .22 is genrally fine. Neither like hard or frozen ground. The .17hmr carries twice the energy which outweighs the advantage of a lighter bullet.

cheers its allready has a high seat for the deers there and foxes so the high seat could be an option.

Shooting from an elivated possision effectively makes the whole place a backstop if the angle is correct. flatness is then a non issue.

Listen up closely its the shot thats taken that is safe or otherwise, the ground only has to be considered. NR a motorway if your in view of traffic is a big consideration though on safety grounds of distaction or false call outs. perhaps the trainline might be considered along similar lines of call outs, the driver is unlikely to swerve though :lol:

Edited by kent

I can't see it mate. To me, 30 acres on open ground is just about enough for shotguns. Bearing in mind a .22 can travel a mile or so, I'd guess that it won't be cleared by the police for rimfire.

:)

Nice first post :rolleyes: But welcome to the forum anyway :good:

30 acres is more than plenty if there are sufficient backstops etc. One of my shoots is a 3 acre paddock and I've shot my .243 on that.

It all depends on the lie of the land and the pragmatism of the FEO that inspects it.

As is continually reminded in threads like this, no land is either suitable or unsuitable.

A .22 CAN travel a mile or so, (we've all read the get out of jail warnings on the boxes), but once it ricochets it starts to tumble and slow down very quickly. Unlikely to travel more than another 100 yards at the outside. HMR will break up on contact and any ricochets are likely to be parts of the bullet and not the whole thing.

Edited by DaveK

cheers its i nice bit of land got tons of rabbits down there. it has also got loads of deer down there for the size of the land ive had them feet away from the hide when decoying which i would like to get a bigger rifle under the belt once i get used to the rimfires what sort of price will a 17 hmr setup set me back.

Nice first post :rolleyes: But welcome to the forum anyway :good:

30 acres is more than plenty if there are sufficient backstops etc. One of my shoots is a 3 acre paddock and I've shot my .243 on that.

It all depends on the lie of the land and the pragmatism of the FEO that inspects it.

As is continually reminded in threads like this, no land is either suitable or unsuitable.

A .22 CAN travel a mile or so, (we've all read the get out of jail warnings on the boxes), but once it ricochets it starts to tumble and slow down very quickly. Unlikely to travel more than another 100 yards at the outside. HMR will break up on contact and any ricochets are likely to be parts of the bullet and not the whole thing.

Ooops. I owe an introductory post! I'll get that sorted. I was going off Ben's description of the land being flat, hence no backstops. No footpaths within 400 yards (meaning there ARE footpaths in the vicinity). And I did say to call his FEO to see if it the land had been cleared in my post! You've done some sneaky journo-type editing when you quoted me :sly:

cheers

I asked FEO if my cousins 12 acres of xmas trees would be ok for .243, he hesitated until I told himI would be using High seats, then he was ok.

It has a footpath all the way down the edge, of course I never shoot towards it.

Edited by malantone

cheers

You'll be fine mate I shoot 16acre of paddocks, 6 acre paddock and have had 2acre field passed on the agreement I would shoot it off sticks all these have houses near by a road down one side and dog walkers regularly passing and at one point or another have horses in them and no real natural backstops other than very sandy soil and slight raised lips round the side of the fields.

they are passing if your safe to shoot the land not if the land is safe to shoot all land is dangerous if your an idiot, the high seat sounds perfect but get some sticks and you'll be fine. And see if someone with an open ticket will come down and give you a bit of mentoring on the best ways to attack it then you'll have firsthand experience of shooting it with an fac even if it's not you pulling the trigger. :good:

When I applied for my first FAC I had one six acre plot with horses on it. It has a busy road along one side, and an unadopted lane along another.

I went down the FAC air route as this seemed the best option, and it got passed.

Within four months I had both rimmy options and a .223.

Might be worth going that way if there is any doubt in your mind.

Most often a call to your FLO can be helpful.