Which way up to hang waterfowl?

Thunderbird

i have always hung my birds up by the feet, i think its just the way i was shown as a boy. i have been told the proper way is to hang them by the neck so that the guts isnt laying up against the breasts but i have never noticed any difference when i have tried it. the thing i sometimes think about, especially with say a goose thats been shot coming off water, is the amount of green water that pours out of it when hung up by the feet, that would all stay in if hung by the neck.

I was always taught to hang birds by the neck. But ducks do not need hanging realy and I only do it for a day or so until I have the time to gut the birds.

Aister I would thought that green water you have found is better out of the bird than in. Thats the **** from a burst gut and will turn the meat off. Mind you hit them in the head and no problem. :good: just joking

Edited by anser2

I might be getting a bit slow on this , but surely if you hang a bird by the neck any rotting stuff will drain via the vent area where it will not harm the meat. Hang by the feet and the gunk will have to drain right through the body to exit via the bill.

All by the neck, its a mute point like mentioned theres a hole at both ends. Though i only hand waterbirds long enough for me to get chance to sort them, unlike Rabbits, game and Deer. Little beats a fresh teal breast or two as a late breakfast :good:

All by the neck, its a mute point like mentioned theres a hole at both ends. Though i only hand waterbirds long enough for me to get chance to sort them, unlike Rabbits, game and Deer. Little beats a fresh teal breast or two as a late breakfast :good:

Teal breast with dry cured bacon and green tomatoes all fried off in heavily peppered olive oil, served on thick toasted granary bread. Thats a proper breakfast :good: I think i have got a few teal breasts left in the freezer i will have to dig them out.

Answer to question hang by neck, but only until i get the chance to clean.

I hang all my birds game and fowl by the neck though none of it ever hangs for very long. Even in the coldest depths of winter ( anyone remember them?) I like them done and in the freezer or the oven.

Not a big fan of this trend for spicing everything up either. What's wrong with a quick wipe round the pan with perhaps a few onions and enjoying the flavour of the meat for what it is?

Jesus I must be getting bloody old and miserable!

Teal breast with dry cured bacon and green tomatoes all fried off in heavily peppered olive oil, served on thick toasted granary bread. Thats a proper breakfast :good: I think i have got a few teal breasts left in the freezer i will have to dig them out.

Answer to question hang by neck, but only until i get the chance to clean.

Aww, you didn't have to go that far i am hungry for it now and still just over 2mnths to go