Raspberry Vodka

Paul T

Had a quick trip to the Co-op for essentials today and they had a load of soft fruit on the last date and dirt cheap. Well, it'd be rude to leave it :lol: so it made it's way home along with a bottle of Glen's finest and some caster sugar :good:. The first and not last of the year :yes:

post-23045-0-62198500-1341167342.jpg

What's the quantities guys?

Tells us some of your secrets.

I used 350g of raspberries, 300g of sugar and 1 litre of vodka (there's another half bottle to go in yet).

Stick the berries in a saucepan with about 3 tablespoons of water and warm gently. When the berries start to go mushy add about a quarter of the sugar. Then leave to cool.

Then just pour the mixture into a jar with the voddy and stir in the rest of the sugar.

Shake daily and after a couple of months filter out the fruit and it's job done :good: .

To be honest you can vary the amount of ingredients to taste quite a lot, but I find adding sugar to just under the amount of fruit works fine for me. I use that as a basis for all the drinks now and add more sugar or alcohol to taste when it's ready for bottling.

It's dead easy and very tasty - have a blast and stick a pic up on here :yes: .

Much as above 4 oz of sugar per bottle as much raspberry as you can get in to a kilner jar so fill jar with fruit sugar on top then add voddy and seal top shake daily and top up until all augee has desolved once its all gone let stand till clear then decant into bottles. Drink wisely dont let 21year old daughter find it

Never found any need to heat anything up, just tip it all together.

Hadn't thought of gooseberry version, what was that like? Was it mixed with raspberries or on its own?

I have spent the entire day packing gooseberries for market, never thought to mix any with vodka, just drinking it neat at the mo. :lol:

Never found any need to heat anything up, just tip it all together.

Hadn't thought of gooseberry version, what was that like? Was it mixed with raspberries or on its own?

I have spent the entire day packing gooseberries for market, never thought to mix any with vodka, just drinking it neat at the mo. :lol:

Never made gooseberry, but I have tried it - and I'll stick to red berries :lol:

I only started heating the berries up at the end of last season. You get a better initial mixture, rather than waiting for natural seepage, so it accelerates the whole process :good: .

nice one,

I have some that has been brewing since 2009, plus sloe gin. I use caster sugar and roll the demi in front of the fire each night for a month - the caster sugar has smaller crystals so dissolves easier / faster.

Plus, I usually freeze the fruit for a week or so before making he vodka - makes em more juicy when you start to make it.

Looks cracking though, enjoy!

Reminds me its time to start this years beverages.

I use 1 litre of spirit to about half a kilo of fruit and 12 oz of caster sugar. Raspberry vodka and brandy, sloe gin, blackberry vodka or brandy, all good and worth making. Sometimes I add a few drops of vanilla essence (best you can get and NOT vanilla flavouring) to the end product.

I always freeze the fruit for a day or two (or till I want to use) then add the ingredients to large Kilner jars, shake / turn / mix every day for at least a month (by which time the sugar should have been dissolved), macerate for around 3 months total - strain into screw top bottles. Drink topped up with Tonic in our house.

Most supermarkets sell spirits in the summer at special offer prices and you can pick up fruit cheaply as well if you keep your eyes open!

Another favourite is summer fruit vodka or brandy (where I DON'T freeze the fruits) using a mix of stoned peaches/nectarines, stoned apricots, stoned plums, raspberries, blackberries (autumnal I know but often around). I halve the larger fruits remove stones (some might leave an odd stone in but I don't) and layer fruits and caster sugar in large Kilner jars until jar full (I don't weigh sugar but probably same weight in total as the fruit) then fill up with the spirit. Rotate / turn jar daily for at least a month and once a week thereafter for a total of around 3 months (start Sept for Xmas). You have an option when matured, strain the liquor into screw top bottles and drink OR serve the fruits with cream / ice cream as a dessert with a shot glass of the liquor to accompany. Either way don't leave too long or the fruit loses colour and goes a tad soggy.

In all of above keep the fruit / spirit mixture in a dark cupboard while maturing, light will effect the colour if you don't.

Edited by SakoQuad

• 2 weeks later...

i made plum vodka /damson gin last year kept me going all winter .this year i am making year sloe gin and damson vodka i have to make 9 bottles just for the shoot days .cost a £100 in vodka alone.but on a cold november day it goes down very well . i use bottle of vodka 1 pint damsons 1/2 pint of sugar .