Crows

Hi all, just got a new farm to shoot on. Lots of crows. I've never shot crows before. Went up to have a first look and check out the area and safe shooting positions. A large murder took to the air (not sure if that's the right term) 250 +, I know it was the wrong to do but I dropped a couple & they nicked off.

I went back a week later with a u caller, it pulled them at first, but as soon as I shot a couple they nicked off again. I was in a good shooting position in a copse on the edge of a field.

I watched them for about 2 hours, a few flew in my direction but as soon as I mount my gun they jinked in a different direction. My gun has a matt finish & I was camed up?

Any tips would be greatly received

Regards James

Best way is to build a cracking hide, try and use foliage as well as a net with a good backdrop, it's best to get ready before light so building the hide the day before is always a good idea this time of year because it gets light so early.

From my experience, once you've been spotted it's game over so its important to camo up to the teeth, face cover, gloves and keep very very still.

Some swear by decoy patterns but I personally try and make them look as natural as possible, a dozen or so should do the trick and if possible get one lofted on a tree or fence post.

Hope this helps, no doubt everyone has different techniques but it certainly works for me.

Good luck :good:

Hedd

have a look at the fieldsports tv channel mate, theres a bit of corvid shooting with tips on there this week. i agree with hedd wynn, once there onto you its game over. corvids are generally clever and remember things. try not to fire at large flocks wait for them to come back in small groups. use a decent cartridge with a bit of clout :good:

i have used a couple of owl decoys this year to bring them within range, a good cart is needed though.

oh, not 100% but i think your u caller is not allowed for birds but a manual ( mouth ) one is :good:

good luck.

correct on the u caller you cant use it to shoot em :no: , as for shooting the crows a very well spread pattern of deeks purely at random does the trick I normally never use more than a dozen, and the first bird down then goes on a flapper :hmm: ,a good hide with a roof and staying still are the keys, never been bothered about the get there in the dark bit, sure you will walk them off but if they ARE wanting to be in that field they will keep coming, I have had good days getting set up at 11am and bad days being there at first light,

they trick is getting to the field when they want to be on it? I.E when the crop has just been sown or the grass has JUST been cut or the crop has a new laid spot.

cheers KW

Best way is to build a cracking hide, try and use foliage as well as a net with a good backdrop, it's best to get ready before light so building the hide the day before is always a good idea this time of year because it gets light so early.

From my experience, once you've been spotted it's game over so its important to camo up to the teeth, face cover, gloves and keep very very still.

Some swear by decoy patterns but I personally try and make them look as natural as possible, a dozen or so should do the trick and if possible get one lofted on a tree or fence post.

Hope this helps, no doubt everyone has different techniques but it certainly works for me.

Good luck :good:

Hedd

Face cover & gloves on order, thanks

have a look at the fieldsports tv channel mate, theres a bit of corvid shooting with tips on there this week. i agree with hedd wynn, once there onto you its game over. corvids are generally clever and remember things. try not to fire at large flocks wait for them to come back in small groups. use a decent cartridge with a bit of clout :good:

Hi Aga Man, I will check out field sports. I'm using 12 bore 32 grams. Thanks

i have used a couple of owl decoys this year to bring them within range, a good cart is needed though.

oh, not 100% but i think your u caller is not allowed for birds but a manual ( mouth ) one is :good:

good luck.

Hi I read a article on using a owl decoy mounted on a pole & using a u caller with a attack call. Why can you not use a caller? I want to do it correctly , need some advice.

Regards James

yes the u caller if catch by the law or someone to inform the law would get you into trouble but this is the bit that winds me right up you can legal buy them and use them but not for shooting so why sell them in the uk if you can use them for shooting its like its legal to sell and by a lock knive but you can carry one or keep one / use one so why on earth they should be for sale 80% of knives for sale for sport or hunting and camping is lock nives

One thing i do simply because it seems to work for me, is only use jackdaws on the bouncers / floaters and flappers and not crows. I think due to their size being smaller they are lighter and float around better and flap better.