223 mod on a 243 will it be ok

swiss.tony

He might well have to re-zero with another moddy even if baffle clearance is sufficient, also is thread and possibly back bushing compatable. Of course i aint going into the legal bit :rolleyes:

thanks will just hide it in pocket if the fuzz turns up its only to zero it up thanks

My A-Tec Maxim, and many other Moderators, have clearance for all lesser calibres up to .243 so with out checking no one can say other than yourself but it is possible that the Mod may be OK to use on his new rifle.

See if a 6mm drill bit will drop through it and if it does easily you will be OK.

the simple answer is if it is marketed as a .22cal mod then really don't do it, whether you can drop a bullet through it or not. If it is larger then fine, I know my .223 is a 22cal mod and I wouldn't put it on my .243 vice versa yes but not that way round. I can't even really believe its started a debate as its one of those things that is just common sense.

To shoot a .243 through it you need about 7.5mm of hole in the baffles. If the hole is that size or bigger you'll be fine.

I just checked 7.5mm and 7.6mm on my two 6mm spec moddies. To be fair it makes one wonder about these Cal. specific baffle mods, I mean how tight are they? both work fine on .224 bullets BTW in terms of noise

A .223 mod will probably be OK - but you MUST check that the baffle holes are large enough to allow a .243 bullet through with clearance. I think a 6.5mm drill bit would be a good gauge.

I think that from about .223 to .270 ish they'll all be about the same, but you must check it first. If you try to put a bullet of .243 diameter through a hole that can only take say .23 then it's not going to end well.

You might have to re-zero if you then put a different mod on, but the difference will be slight - you'll be able to get close and have a play with a different mod.

i all ready no answer just thought id double check before he blue my 260 quid mod up

Tony can I come and video it (from a distance) :lol: if it's a Thideye Spartan the I think you'll be ok as Swillington told me the one I had on my .243 was the smallest they make,oh and if it is a Spartan and you paid £260 for it,sorry to say mate ,but you got yor leg lifted :o

Jase.

I mean how tight are they?

and there is the big point, with no one having a definite idea on clearance required is it really worth the risk? yes if its stamped 25 or 30cal but otherwise I'd not be wanting to find out. You have to figure they are sized for a reason. Some things in life you take a chance on putting a mod stamped .22cf on a 6mm is to me not something I'd do, its verging on a darwin type exercise

and there is the big point, with no one having a definite idea on clearance required is it really worth the risk? yes if its stamped 25 or 30cal but otherwise I'd not be wanting to find out. You have to figure they are sized for a reason. Some things in life you take a chance on putting a mod stamped .22cf on a 6mm is to me not something I'd do, its verging on a darwin type exercise

it only takes a second or two to measure first. I must add i have seen some wacking big holes drilled to cover up a bad threading job in the past

Speak to the manufacturer. I asked ASE if the CQB (which is rated 223) was suitable for 6mm and they sent me a very comprehensive reply stating why it was perfectly safe; as long as the rifle thread is cut accurately.

In fairness it was the best mod Ive had on my BR.

+1 I use a cqb on my .243

Speak to the manufacturer. I asked ASE if the CQB (which is rated 223) was suitable for 6mm and they sent me a very comprehensive reply stating why it was perfectly safe; as long as the rifle thread is cut accurately.

In fairness it was the best mod Ive had on my BR.

Same here, althought mine is on a 6mm ppc, works very well.

Neil. :)

some shocking advice on this thread

I use a ".223" PES mod on my .243

Do not use it on .243 "if it is a 6mm bore" as someone on page one said!! that will end in tears

6.5mm minimum bore. Most .25Cal mods are oversized as are most .30 cal mods, most ".223" mods are rated to .25"

6.5mm with .243 (6mm) gives you 0.25mm clearance on a properly centred threading job.

I spoke to Steve Kershaw about this and the simple answer is fit it. if you can see it (the moderator) down the barrel then dont use it!

This in practice is harder than you think but once you have looked down the barrel a few times and keep looking at the same light source you will see the ring of the muzzle for what it is.

Edited by Bewsher500

You need a hole about 1.5mm bigger than the bullet. Any centrefire grade mod will take the blast if that's adhered to. Think about it - a .22-250 will produce a similar pressure to a .243. Given the right bore of mod it will vent just the same.

I had my P8 proofed when I had my .243 cut and it came back stamped .243 - it was a .30 cal mod so the proof stamp meant nothing!

You need a hole about 1.5mm bigger than the bullet. Any centrefire grade mod will take the blast if that's adhered to. Think about it - a .22-250 will produce a similar pressure to a .243. Given the right bore of mod it will vent just the same.

I had my P8 proofed when I had my .243 cut and it came back stamped .243 - it was a .30 cal mod so the proof stamp meant nothing!

P8's come in two sizes though I wouldn't put mine on a 30 cal simply because its made for a 25cal. But in a bullsh*t baffles brains thread here is a real world example.

1st a 6mm bullet in the opening of a .22cal DM80

6mmbullet22mod.jpg

2nd a 22 cal bullet in the same hole

22bullet22modJPG.jpg

In this case it would very definitely not be a good idea, tip the mod up and the 6mm bullet sticks in the baffles. That at the very least is going to affect accuracy :yes: and most likely trash the mod. So yes if you are using a mod that isn't specifically designed for .22cal tollerances it could well be fine, if you are then its just a bad idea.