Hide position

finreid

One of our fields was planted with grass seed at easter time and its starting to look very full, but within the grass seed there was lots of rape seed (no idea why) and its not just around 6 inches tall and the pigeons are loving it. about 300 on it now! will be shooting it tomorrow, but the only issue is that the rape bit is in patches around the middle of the field, and not close enough to the hedges to make it worth while setting up on the verges.

My question is whether i can set up my hide in the middle of field, will this work or will it not work? in my eyes, the bonuses are that i can be in the place where the [pigeons are feeding, and can ensure the wind is on my back...

IMO you would probably need to build the hide and leave it for a week or two before shooting so the birds get used to it and continue to feed.

Otherwise set up against a hedge and bag/ flag the area in the middle to keep them off it, they will still want to be on the field cause thats where theyre used to feeding so you will probably be able to draw them to where you want them with your rotary and flappers.

Edited by carpentermark

(My question is whether i can set up my hide in the middle of field, will this work or will it not work? in my eyes, the bonuses are that i can be in the place where the [pigeons are feeding, and can ensure the wind is on my back.)..yes it will work if they are there get on and get them shot i have parked my very large white van in the middle of a field and shot them out of the side door with a net in front and had a good result

I frequently have to set up in open fields and its surprising how the birds don't seem to care (even rooks).

Mostly I use an green fishing umbrella , set on the tilt, with a camo net thrown over it and round to a pole in the front.

I shoot sitting down and only have a field of fire in front of me, which means you have to place your decoys well.

IMO you would probably need to build the hide and leave it for a week or two before shooting so the birds get used to it and continue to feed.

Otherwise set up against a hedge and bag/ flag the area in the middle to keep them off it, they will still want to be on the field cause thats where theyre used to feeding so you will probably be able to draw them to where you want them with your rotary and flappers.

Just build it after clapping them off and get shooting...dont keep running out to pick up birds unless they keep flaring off....and sit still :D

http://s856.photobucket.com/albums/ab130/TheEssexHunter/essex%20pigeons/?action=view&current=STA60279.jpg

http://s856.photobucket.com/albums/ab130/TheEssexHunter/essex%20pigeons/?action=view&current=STA60280.jpg

TEH

You can still build your hide on the edge of the field, if there is a goodish wind.

Build the hide with the wind blowing into your face, and then put a cpl of bouncers out in the field facing away from you towards the rape.

If the wind is strong enough and the rape is not to far away the birds should come over you, or turn in front to land into the wind.

You can then shoot the birds flying away from you with a little luck.

I did this the other day on a wheat field with a rd a little to close for comfort if I was to shoot towards it, so I set up with the rd behind me and drew the pigeons over the top of the hide into the wind and into my pattern.

If the field is to big for this go with the other post and build in the field.

Edited by Actionpigeons

You can still build your hide on the edge of the field, if there is a goodish wind.

Build the hide with the wind blowing into your face, :no::hmm:

thats far from ideal, get the wind at your back so that the pigeons land into the wind why make it hard for your self :good:

thats far from ideal, get the wind at your back so that the pigeons land into the wind why make it hard for your self :good:

Your right it is far from ideal but pls read the full post,

If the birds are dropping say 80yrds out in the field to feed on the Rape patch and he set up so the wind is behind him they are going to drop short of him. Because as most of us know pigeons like to fly into the wind to land.

So he has two chances, pull the birds over him or build the hide in the middle of the field.

if this is the only way he can get close enough to shoot the birds and it works its got to be worth a try

Edited by Actionpigeons