Crayfishing With Bakerboy II – Cooking

blowin

As I headed home yesterday with 11kg of crayfish, Billy warned me that although I was excited now, I would soon be very bored. I didn't believe him. As a 40 year old man with three small children I figured I had a different idea of what dull and repetitive means. But to be honest, he was right. Catching crayfish is easy and fun but processing them is a bit tedious.

First lesson: when you leave your crayfish overnight to clean them, only put half an inch of water in the bottom of your container and spread them thinly. I got it a bit wrong and ended up with probably 25% casualties. *****r.

Second lesson: Use a deep pan with a lid. Jam pan not good, stock pot good.

Beyond that, it took about two hours to get to this point...

Crays.jpg

Then Mrs Blowin (no sniggering at the back) and I sat for another hour and a half picking the meat out of them. On the plus side, we ended up with an amazing paella...

Paella.jpg

And plenty of leftovers...

Leftovers.jpg

And after a few glasses of wine, the fun did start to emerge...

Whack.jpg

James, welcome to the club :lol: :lol: :lol: , I wonder how Tony got on :hmm: .

The next outing will only last an Hour for all the reasons you have just discovered :lol: .

Terry

ps

have a word with Alan he will show you a quick and easy way of shelling them

Edited by bakerboy

It's quite a mission to process them all, I'm not going to lie. Stock pot is a must.

You should have gone for the grand crayfish photo, like I did.

9441192f.jpg

That picture brings back good memories, Crayfish walking about the garden, fish n chips and a few beers. Over 400 Crayfish if I recall, and then of course the "bath" video clip :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's quite a mission to process them all, I'm not going to lie. Stock pot is a must.

9441192f.jpg

:blink: where do you start with catching these?

are they in any river? I know the trap dimensions have to specific, but where do you start????

bigt

cracking haul but sad to see in another way as it shows the poor state of some of our rivers, these are having a major impact. Maybe the EA should do an advertising drive to the local Polish population in an effort to get it sorted ;)

9441192f.jpg

Not impressed with that unwashed pan in your sink Billy :lol:

What's worrying is that all the haul has come from 100 yards of river.

I'd say in the last year, there's been over 2,000 taken from that 100 yards :/

Not impressed with that unwashed pan in your sink Billy :lol:

Oh go on... Show us the picture from your kitchen when you cooked them up. It was spotless, I remember.

What's worrying is that all the haul has come from 100 yards of river.

I'd say in the last year, there's been over 2,000 taken from that 100 yards :/

Oh go on... Show us the picture from your kitchen when you cooked them up. It was spotless, I remember.

ah is that the bit just down from the sewage works :lol:

cracking haul but sad to see in another way as it shows the poor state of some of our rivers, these are having a major impact. Maybe the EA should do an advertising drive to the local Polish population in an effort to get it sorted ;)

They are already there :lol:

The Gruaniad have got in on the crayfishing movement: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/jul/18/why-should-eat-more-crayfish

Unfortunately the comments are mainly from people who think they shouldn't be trapped so the Guardian is undoing its intention by allowing a free platform.

Netted another 150 yesterday with the nieces and nephews, took just over the hour.

• 4 weeks later...