Another Car Insurance Rant

Diceman

Renewal with Admiral - £516 (you don't need to do a thing, we will automatically renew your policy)

Direct quote from Admiral website - £449

Quote from Admiral via GoCompare - £394

The cheapest cover also had a lower excess!

And on the back of the letter "we have set our sights on achieving the perfect service" They must have some good glass because that target is a loooong way away.

Bring back the old school insurance man that came to your house and gave you the best deal he could find and you stuck with him year in and year out because he was commission only and made damn sure he looked after you.

Trust me they are all the same.

With every annual renewal business we have, I have never paid the proposed premium.

Always negotiated them downward substantially, or changed providers.

I aim to pay less for everything than I did last year ( that includes the AA ).

Never, ever, sign up for those automatic renewal set-ups.

Get their annual quote and then beat it.

They can offer large discounts as there must be loads of people that just renew regardless.

Renewal with Admiral - £516 (you don't need to do a thing, we will automatically renew your policy)

Direct quote from Admiral website - £449

Quote from Admiral via GoCompare - £394

The cheapest cover also had a lower excess!

And on the back of the letter "we have set our sights on achieving the perfect service" They must have some good glass because that target is a loooong way away.

Bring back the old school insurance man that came to your house and gave you the best deal he could find and you stuck with him year in and year out because he was commission only and made damn sure he looked after you.

yep the man from the Pearl..

I had the self same thing tonight as mine renews tomorrow - Call them up and tell them and instant rectification will be granted. The auto debit bit cracks me up but unless you shop somewhere dearer you ain't got a lot of choice (aside from telling them to cancel)

I'd rather pay someone else an extra tenner than renew with this shower - they don't deserve the business after that stunt. Though I know they always drop the price if you ring them with a rival quote up your sleeve, £120 difference from the same company is just taking the p.

You usually get an introductory discount which comes off at renewal. Hence the increase and why quoting through the website again will be cheaper than your renewal. The auto renewal bit they will probably have mentioned other over the phone when they set it up or it will be on the docs they sent out if you set it up online. Its probably one of the conditions/assumptions you agree to before they'll quote.

They're just greedy thieves, but doing so legally.

Just over a month ago I got my renewal quote - for 3x what I had originally paid! Plus, when taking out the quote originally, I had to agree to let them automatically take the renewal money from my account. When I got the absurd quote I then had the hassle of ringing them up to stop them taking the money automatically. I then found another quote from a different company (don't wish to use them ever again), for a better deal, for a fraction of the price...

Insurance companies are one of my biggest hates - overcharge, then wriggle out of every claim them can.

Edited by bedwards1966

I must admit that I detest motor insurers more than most things, but they are also one of the least profitable classes out there and generally lose money hand over fist. There are more and more claims for personal injury being pursued and funded by the ambulance chasers that are driving claims up more and more - What used to be 300 quid for repairs is now 300 quid for repairs plus 5 grand for whiplash. They are a business and the money has to come from somewhere.

What annoys me most (along with most other consumers) is the ridiculous nature of the broking haggle - Why not give us the best price first and avoid the resentment fuelling conversation getting the price down. When was the last time you went to Asda and they asked "what's the best price you've been quoted for a loaf?"

Indeed. I don't object to them making a profit and the whiplash scam has got to be stopped. I do object to them taking an extra £120 out of my bank account whilst claiming to be helpful...

"I'm sure you've got a million things to juggle so to make renewing your policy as easy as possible we will automatically renew your policy based on the information you have supplied"

Why, thank you Admiral, would you like me to make you a cup of tea whilst you take me roughly from behind?

On the upside, there is a feedback form in with the renewal letter. Now, where is my green pen?