Fox trap

mark@mbb

Built a fox trap the last couple of days as it was raining and put a slightly different mechanism in i have tried to make it very sensitive with a pedal type of design so when it touches the pedal / flap the door drops down i have put a cage on the end as a bait station for a chicken or something similar i have a few running around at the back of my house so i will try it and post the results

post-24750-0-52725300-1343848519.jpg

Edited by mark@mbb

it looks too small to be honest, cant see a reason for the sectioned off area at end?

the fox could walk in and back out if it seems suspicous, before door shuts

wire looks too thin to take a trapped fox, they dont all sit down thinking "Im trapped" they bounce the cage all over the place

needs a fixed water container to comply with the law

if the mesh is 2", then the fox has only got 20" between its tail and the door, and its foot stamping on the treadle plate,

Edited by stubby

Stubby if you are an expert please enlighten me the cage in question 5' 2" long the little cage at the bottom was for some live bait and i have made a lot of fox traps and caught plenty and some of them are only 3' long i cannot see what the size has to do with it if charlie wants whats in that cage he will open the door himself to get in but if you can post me one of yours just so i can see how a proffesional trapper goes about his business i will hold my hands up

Mark

post-24750-0-92361400-1343926759.jpg ( a smaller version which still catches )

Stubby if you are an expert please enlighten me the cage in question 5' 2" long the little cage at the bottom was for some live bait

post-24750-0-92361400-1343926759.jpg ( a smaller version which still catches )

you honestly write stuff like this on an open forum :no:

I need'nt have bothered saying about a drinker, as your obviously not worried about breaking god knows how many laws

IMAG0246.jpg

you can count the amount of 2" squares between back and front of cage

• 5 weeks later...

Is it possible you could show how the door is triggered and the release mechanism. Thanks

We bought a fox trap from the local gun shop , made by Trapman , they didnt mention the water bowl , So thanks for that info .

BTW the trapman isn't a good trap the door is weak and trigger mechanism very poor

Edited by jerryb

Is it possible you could show how the door is triggered and the release mechanism. Thanks

We bought a fox trap from the local gun shop , made by Trapman , they didnt mention the water bowl , So thanks for that info .

BTW the trapman isn't a good trap the door is weak and trigger mechanism very poor

I would go along with that, the trap mechanism is everything really and some if the commercial ones seem to be motivated by cheapness rather than best practice

you honestly write stuff like this on an open forum :no:

I need'nt have bothered saying about a drinker, as your obviously not worried about breaking god knows how many laws

IMAG0246.jpg

you can count the amount of 2" squares between back and front of cage

Stubby

Theres always someone who knows better. :innocent:

I have trapped foxes in 3'6" traps in the past, mostly youngsters up to near full grown. But prefer the longer versions similar to yours..