How old to start

Any age where she won't struggle from the recoil and weight. If she gets a battering that could end things very quickly.

A .410 is probably the place to start (get some light carts), just get some really easy targets as you have to be accurate with them (not forgetting they're normally fully choked, there is no room for error), if she can't hit anything then it might put her off somewhat.

My son is 9 and had his first clay lessons this year (with a .410).

As has been said, the lesson concentrated on simple incomers to build some confidence. We went to Nick Honesberie's place just outside Priors Marston which isn't that far from you.

post-25830-0-42763900-1343890658.jpg

As above;a game fair will have a 'have a go' stand if you don't have a trap,or take her to your local ground and send her some really easy 'hanging in the air' incomers.I introduced mine to shooting her firat clays at a Young Shots day.Loved it.

If you want a 20 bore auto you could do a lot worse than look at the Franchi 620v;my nephew had one from the age of 10;soft recoiler,wider shot pattern(nothing discourages kids faster than missing)and second-hand it wont break the bank.

I think it is more to do with physical size and also childs attitude/desire.......I have 2 sons started both at @ 8/9 with shotguns...eldest was straight away into it took to it,my youngest son was actually put off by starting too early.Both now shoot regularly but are alot older now.I think what is crucial is that the first time is done with an instructor at a good ground,as they do not force it.Dads,including me,unwittingly push their kids too much..youngest syas now it hurt and scared him,of course he never said so at the time!..atb.

What age is the right age to start shooting clays, my daughter is 9 this month , is that too young , recoil wise ?

I would make it a bit of a group activity present take 2 or 3 to a clay ground making a little event from it get the instructor to go through everything while you just watch and smile taking photos etc then take them for a meal somewhere to make it all a positive reinforcement experience.

It depends on the child, it aint all to do with size- the last thing you want is to put them off with recoil or noise. My eldest daughter is 13 and is bigger, taller and stronger than most adults but dont like recoil. she shoots the .22 like a demon though :good: She did start at around eight (at a club)

I didn't start with a shotgun until I was mid - twenties, my father was happy plinking with an air rifle, just the way it went really but I thought I'd share my story as encouragement / a pat on the back for those of you who are (or have) starting them early......

At about 7, my dad got an old break action air rifle out of a cupboard and took me and my brother into the hills to have a go. We didn't have any permission or anywhere to use it but a small disused quarry served nicely. He didn't make a big thing of the safety side of things but got it across somehow. We went several times over a year or so and I was well and truly hooked but for some reason these outings stopped.

At about 13, I bought a black widow catapult from someone at work and dad took me out to shoot with it - I guess my parents decided it was better than me sneaking it out of the house and causing trouble. Somehow these outings resulted in us taking air rifles and plinking wherever we could get away with it. I gradually got quite good at it and could land 5 pellets on a 5p consistently from a sitting position at 35-40yds

I joined a club and started shooting matches. Within about a year I was at an open match where I was approached by a national coach with "would you like to train with the national squad?"

Too bloody right!!

I trained hard, I'd never put any real effort into anything but this was different people didn't "want" me to train, they were pleased I was and I lapped it up - I spent 1-2 hours on the range each day and started to get fit, also something I'd never really worried about before. My scores soared, I shot better in every match I entered (a couple a month) and was starting to hear whisperings of the commonwealth games and possibly the Olympics (one day).

Collage and women came along and something had to give, in hindsight it should have been the women but the shooting went down the pan. I'd shot in four international matches and stood on the podium (silver) while our national anthem was played :)

My dad must have been very proud but in reality it's him I have to thank for all of it! Good on anyone who's willing to give their kids a start in any sport - you never know where it might lead.

Being a new starter myself (but certainly not young :rolleyes:). My 12yo son has started having lessons too.

I am a bit intrigued by the suggestion that youngsters should start with a .410. My understanding is that a .410 has a much tighter pattern and so makes it harder to learn.

Is it simply a case of weight? My lad shoots a 28 bore with reasonable success, but only for a limited time before he starts leaning back.

CR

Is it simply a case of weight? My lad shoots a 28 bore with reasonable success, but only for a limited time before he starts leaning back.

CR

weight and recoil yes a .410 throws alot less shot big loads through tight tubes are worse than the same through big tubes! The weight of the gun soaks the recoil so it's a 3 way balance between lead in the air, mass of gun and recoil...