Red letter day

I first shot pigeons in December 2008 with a guide up in Northampton. I have been very successful gaining permissions and to date have many. I have been through that initial 'novelty excitement' when you just go out all the time. I have bought many gadgets and read many many advice posts. I have had frustrating winters on the OSR and great summers at harvest. I have come close to a ton on several occasions but poor shooting and not lack of targets has always been to blame. Well i decided that yesterday would be 'the day'. I was on freshly cut barley and just knew that it would be busy.

I just laid 6 fud's down and within 20mins they were replaced with 10 real birds. It was action from 1pm to 8pm with an hour break. Truth is a really good shot who had got there at 8am would have banged 300. I have never seen such crazy decoying, 3 and 4 birds at once making which target to go for the biggest challenge. I had my usual spell where i missed everything, but the truth was that a total novice would have got 50 or 60. I wasnt even that well hidden from the action, with just a camo jacket a tatty net and naked face.

The final total was 116 woodpigeons, 10 Ferals and 1 crow. Cartridges used 308.

It's funny because my interest in this sport is starting to wane, i dont know why, i thought it never would but maybe a good break after this harvest will bring back the desire. I thank you all for the advice over the years. I feel i have achieved what i set out to and have thoroughly enjoyed it, i will go again on monday but i am not bothered about another ton or 200 for that matter. Regards. Unapalomablanca.

It's funny because my interest in this sport is starting to wane, i dont know why, i thought it never would but maybe a good break after this harvest will bring back the desire. I thank you all for the advice over the years. I feel i have achieved what i set out to and have thoroughly enjoyed it, i will go again on monday but i am not bothered about another ton or 200 for that matter. Regards. Unapalomablanca.

I feel like that at times, but after a long winter of not really shooting many pigeons it will become exciting again.