Whats the longest you have had a rifle (that still groups well) for

gixer1

Some cracking guns out there - it kinda begs the question about guns being "shot out" ...:good:

I gave my mate in Wales my old 7.62 target rifle. The barrel was knackered, you could see it was but it still groups on his club 100yds range and he is happy with it.

I have seen other rifle barrels that wouldn't shoot Jack S after a couple of thousand rounds but generally they just get a bit tired as time goes on.

Well to add my part to this an I guess my point - a good friend of mine had a mannlicher classic and it was about 12 years old - it never so much as saw a cleaning rod yet would cloverleaf - my last weatherby was a fair age and would average a 1" group yet was never really cleaned (I never used any bore cleaner on it)

So is it really only hot loads that are causing this "1500" barrel life....???

There are heaps of rifles that disprove the above, this thread kind of proved this.

Regards

Gixer

its not just hot loads though they dont help. number and frequency of rounds fired, cleaning even the individual metelurgy of a barrel. however there are guides to round count expectancy for calibres out there for anyone to find if they are realy interested in the facts

my point though as I said is the guide must be worst case as clearly there are a lot or rifles out there out shooting thier guide life (such as 1500 for a 243)

Regards,

Gixer

Quite, I bought my 'barrel burner' purely on cost benefit, good deal at the time, plenty of factory ammo in the deal, but everywhere I looked they are treated with vitriol...funny thing is...when I Pm'd people (US sites and others) no-one who stated this actually had used one, maybe put a couple of rounds down, but not owned one, the answer was almost exclusively...I've not shot one/owned one, but my Aunties hamsters boyfriend had one and it blew up after 30 shots.

If you think about it a worn barrel still shoots, its only the first inch of the rifling that gets progressively rougher. Even the top flight match shooters who have their rifles rebarreled don't scrap the barrels. They are sold to lesser mortals like me to get a few more seasons out of.

Tilhill is in Scotland numpty. :blush:

were .270 is the minimum requirement for a night licence - all deer! I bought my old 7mm for such a reason. watch who you are calling numpty Tilhill is in England also. There are three different blocks within 40 mins of here, i have also stalked for tilhill

Aww why did you tell him? He was gloating like a prize rooster and he obviously hadn't read the book on the laws in Scotland! :lol:

I already know them .270 minimum for night licence issue all deer, unless something has changed quite recent. Daytime different matter, i shall continue to gloat :rolleyes:

A .22 brno ,proberbly 30 years old (I think the previous model had a bamboo barrel )

proberbly shot 50 million cartridges ,still shooting as accurately as the day I bought it . Will proberbly donate it to the smithsonian when I have finished with it .

Harnser .

Edited by Harnser

Long way from Aberdeen though. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which Tilhill is the right one.

Its just a management company England Scotland and maybee wales - Self same one

conditions on calibres for night licence were and without being told other wise still are as follows, they certainly were in force before all these recent new guides were published. but then again you have been doing this years :rolleyes:

Not less than .270 for Red,Sika,fallow and red x Sika crosses 130 grn soft nose bullet not less than 2450 fps and 2250 ftlb

Not less than .243 and 100 grn soft nose bullet not less than 2450f fps and not less than 1750 ft lb. NOTE THIS IS FOR NIGHT SHOOTING ROE and ROE only! No 22-250 listed strangely :rolleyes:

in circumstances were a high velocity rifle might be deemed unsafe a shotgun "might" be authorised but the type of ammuntion and bore will be stipulated.

there are changes and ommisions in the new guidence (which aint more than a few years old anyway) like dogs are now to be used were previously it was only a recomendation

Now get a tissue!

Edited by kent

I already know them .270 minimum for night licence issue all deer, unless something has changed quite recent. Daytime different matter, i shall continue to gloat :rolleyes:

dont gloat - you were wrong - 270 is not the minimum caliber for roe deer night licence! :rolleyes:

dont gloat - you were wrong - 270 is not the minimum caliber for roe deer night licence! :rolleyes:

No .243 is not 22-250 i see no great issue other than i have never had a night licence for roe only personally. It appears some don't even realise its different at night. seriously doubt the rest of a post from someone who is obviously either acting dishonestly to the commision or just making it up as they go along- sort of sheds doubt on anything they say dont it

P1010100.jpg

not a rifle but its my 46 year old spanish sxs, ive put about a box of cartridges through it but by the looks of it its had a lot more through it previously

still got a very tight action, cant hit a barn if i was inside it with the left barrel because its shooting about a foot to the left lol

right barrel gets the job done, then the left one gets its moment of glory with the the rabbits bolting out of the crops at harvest smile.gif

You may be able to steer that left barrel back to point of aim. Ask if you want to know more.

U.