blazing sun, wind, rain, thunderstorms,lightning

Topgunners

Sunday

Left at first light, so as to "clock" what had been cut and what hadn't. I drove round for about 2 hours and decided to set up on a stubble field that was covered in blackies. I shot steady for about an hour and half in blazing sunshine for 27 and then they just decided " too much noise for me" (lol) and none flying about at all now.

I picked up and then drove to a farm with 3 fields of rape cut and one field with just 2 strips left to do. The farmer informed me that he got rained off.

I sat watching and there were birds on all 3 fields. decisions, decisions. :hmm: I plumped for the middle one with the 2 uncut strips and set up under a tree, with the wind coming straight over my back. BIG BROLLY set up behind me against the tree.

To try and pull all of the birds onto my field I set out the full monty. 8 x dead birds, 26 x flock deeks, 3 x floaters set at varying distances right up the hill. 2 x magnets and a flapper(set 15 yards out to my left from the tree.)

I started off nice and steady in warm sunshine for about 2 hours and then the big black clouds came overhead and I had it all.

Rain, thunderstorms,lightning.

I was determined not to pack up as the pigeons were "banging in". I finally packed up at 7.15pm for a total of 107 pigeons , 2 jackdaws and a bonus of 2 magpies.

Cracking day and didn't get wet at all. I popped into the farm on the way home and the farmer came out saying he was pleased as punch as he had heard me all day. Said " you gotta be mad in that weather" but knowing that I was a little bit , :innocent: made me smile all the more.

Total Shot

107 x pigeons

29x blackies

2 x magpies.

Dave K

Sounds like you had a cracking day Dave!

No fair weather shooter there then.....

Well done mate.

You've just reminded me, I got to get myself one of those big fishing brollies

Cos

Thanks everybody. and as for your comment cosd above re brolly. That brolly has been a godsend in the rain, gale force winds, blazing sunshine and used as a hide in the middle of a field a fair few times. Just like it did for 26 years as a fisherman.

GET ONE

Dave K

Edited by Topgunners

Thanks everybody. and as for your comment cosd above re brolly. That brolly has been a godsend in the rain, gale force winds, blazing sunshine and used as a hide in the middle of a field a fair few times. Just like it did for 26 years as a fisherman.

GET ONE strong%3Eression.gif

Dave K

What size, type ect?

Guessing one which tilts, and you can tie down when it's windy as well.

What size, type ect?

Guessing one which tilts, and you can tie down when it's windy as well.

I have a 50" and 60" wavelock nubrolli ripstop material type. the best one is the one with a removable centre pole that screws in at an angle in the head so the pole is always behind me , out of the way.

http://www.anglingdi...i-length-50inch

http://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/store/fox-supa-brolly

I hook the two rear hide poles onto the ribs and gale force winds won't budge it. I have also sprayed grey and brown leaves and twigs to breakup the stark green colour. you can drape a bit of netting over the top if desired.

Brilliant as a roof for the spooky blackies. :good:

Dave K

Edited by Topgunners

A brolly must be the answer.

In recent showery weather (and I got wet on five consecutive outings in the last two weeks) I have simply draped over me and the kit and the dogs a large green tarpaulin to sit out the storm but it was not totally effective.

A brolly does however add to the kit list which is fine after harvest but not when all of the equipment has to be traipsed to the chosen position on foot.

I have a 50" and 60" wavelock nubrolli ripstop material type. the best one is the one with a removable centre pole that screws in at an angle in the head so the pole is always behind me , out of the way.

http://www.anglingdi...i-length-50inch

http://www.anglingdi...fox-supa-brolly

I hook the two rear hide poles onto the ribs and gale force winds won't budge it. I have also sprayed grey and brown leaves and twigs to breakup the stark green colour. you can drape a bit of netting over the top if desired.

Brilliant as a roof for the spooky blackies. :good:

Dave K

Cheers Dave

I don't want to hijack your thread any more than I have already. Thanks for the two recommendations already, I think I'll start a dedicated thread to look at what everyone is using, but I like the look of the first one as that's more what I had in mind.

Cos