which break barrel is your favourite and best to fire?

TomSteebs

hw90 is basically HW with Theoben gas ram...best break barrel air rifle in my view if you do not mind bit of weight...I am no expert on air rifles,over the years have had bsa/webley have shot others...not a fan of HW80 although most folk seem to be..I dont use enough to think about change,if forced would look at Air Arms as it looks 'right'.

some great advice guys, from what i've heard around the place so far FOR BREAKBARRELS MAY I ADD! it seems to be hw80, hw98, fenman, and longbow.........

the reason i'm not looking at underlevers is the loading speed.....

what are fenman's like for reliability and tuning etc.....?

Tuning unnecessary

I've had mine for over 15 years with no failures whatsoever cannot fault it... Bomb proof

Right a gas ram is a spring, it is just a gas powered spring, not a metal coil spring. When you cock a gas ram you compress the gas, which, when the trigger is pulled forces the piston inside the ram back, this moves the piston in the gun, that compresses the gas and moves the pellet. The gas ram has recoil in one direction only, whereas a spring will move forwards, backwards and sometimes sideways too as it uncompresses.

This unfairly gives the gas ram a reputation as being a harsh firer, when the recoil is in fact less, but only in one direction, ie straight back, just liek a rimfire.

The best spring powered break barrel is teh HW95, perfection, if Carlsberg made air rifles etc etc...

I have an interesting gas ram though and for people looking to try gas rams could be the way to go. The Hatsan 60S TG GR, the gas rammed Hatsan, basically a gas rammed Webley Stingray mark 2. Fires beautifully, 11.3 foot pound every time using a 14.3 grain pellet. Accurate as hell and a nice gun!

secret- agent- mole...you need to get out of your dark tunnel a bit more.........a Gas Ram is gas compressed which then when released pushes the air forward..there is NOT a spring being compressed but Gas......gas ram are smoother no harsh/spring twang.....not many folk who use gas ram go back to springers they are rough in comparison.

Read what I wrote Dougall and have a sugar cube will you. What compresses the gas in the gas ram? A piston! It is true you know, The piston in the ram compresses the gas. I referred to it as a spring as it is classed as a spring (in fact gas rams are sometimes called gas springs), relying on compression and expansion for it's power!

I also stated that the recoil was different, not harsher, I said it has a reputation for being harsher that was undeserved! Now please try reading before commenting and also understanding the mechanism that is being discussed.

Edited by secretagentmole

I stand corrected.I must have 8 springs in my Land Rover engine then....! ''a gas-ram is a spring'' was your opening line I was simply trying to point out that this is not factually correct.Have had sugar lump,think we are saying same thing.atb.

Jesus hes just like the dougal out of father ted! "I took the liberty of recording what you said there ted"

Sod opinions whats the point of consatntly writing IMO or IMHO becuase historically no one gives a **** about peoples opinions. You've got to be much more forceful :shoot::mellow:

I can't really feel the recoil but I shoot a rimfire which doesnt really have any either and a very light 12g (which would probably send midgets flying)

Recoil is more managable than 'surge' and its quite nice to know your in touch with it with many people describing pcp's as dead on firing.

For me,it's my theoben sirocco h.e. carbine .20. It keeps a clear sight picture on firing, it's crisp and smooth to shoot. I've had it about twenty years now and it's been great. Shot absolutely loads with it. I can hit bottle tops at forty yards consistently. My favourite spring break barrel is the feinwerkbau sport. A lovely rifle they were.