Gas or Recoil

FERRETBOY

I prefer Recoil SOLELY for Recoil is dampened AND there is no gas ports to keep cleaning out and no piston to clean.

The Recoil operated only require occasional cleaning of the piston and a wad through the barrel to clean out.

I have 2 franchi AL 48s and love them both.

One is 1/2 choke the other full.

LG

I'd go for recoil. The Franchi is a good gun by all accounts. I have a Benelli that is a wicked gun.

Alot of people say that gas op guns are softer shooting. This is really not the case and felt recoil is a very personal thing that is perceived differently by everyone.

It is true that the heavier gas guns can be softer shooting but this is generally down to the weight. Guns like the Benellis will seem to be stiffer recoiling to some people, but when alot of thier guns weigh around the 7lb mark you would expect them to be a bit stiffer. My Montefeltro is about 7.1lb and shoots far more softly than my beretta o/u.

Recoil op guns are very quick to clean and strip and can generally go for much longer periods before needing cleaning than the average gas gun. However I beleive that the more expensive gas guns will go just as long and be just as reliable.

Personal choice. DONT believe the **** you will hear about harsh recoil with some recoil op guns. Poor fit is the cause of 99% of this.

Leeboy

Ive not had my (recoil) Benelli that long, but Ive put now maybe 1000 carts through it without any misfires at all. And thats everything from no. 9 skeet carts to 50gr BB foxing ones.

You can feel the recoil but theres not much muzzle lift on firing, like a gas gun, and theres considerably less cleaning involved.

• 2 months later...