Bathroom ceiling above shower

Ricko

Hi,

The ceiling of my bathroom is a textured 'artex' type ceiling.

Above the shower the steam has been lifting the textured ceiling off.

The shower is under the eaves and has a slope to part of the ceiling.

I have seen plastic sheets (upvc??) used in bathrooms before now.

What is the name of the material

How do I fix it to the ceiling

Where do I get it from??

Cheers

Ricko

There's a thing called moisture board that might help you out.

Alternatively, get an extractor fan.

Another alternative is a dehumidifyer in the room somewhere to stop the moisture hanging around after a shower.

Something like this.

http://www.coopersofstortford.co.uk/src/gbase/coopers-of-stortford-compact-rechargeable-dehumidifier--buy-1-get-1-free-prodst05934i/

Unfortunately an extractor is not an option, I can't get to the roof/wall with a ladder outside as there is a conservatory in the way.

Do the high street DIY stores do the plastic cladding? I want to get it over the counter tomorrow.

I used a plastic cladding on the ceiling in my bathroom. Bought it at Wickes.

It was this stuff if I remember correctly: http://www.wickes.co...k4/invt/162656/

To fit it, I just put up some batons and fixed the cladding using some little metal tongue n groove fixings.

Edited by Penfolio

Unfortunately an extractor is not an option, I can't get to the roof/wall with a ladder outside as there is a conservatory in the way.

Do the high street DIY stores do the plastic cladding? I want to get it over the counter tomorrow.

Get a cieling fan mate then use a flexi house in loft to take it to a outside wall imho you are wasting time and money with the plastic

As said, you need an extractor Fan in the Bathroom to create an airflow. If left, the moisture will start mould growing.

I'd be a bit dubious of sheting off the ceiling as if you dont sealit properly or seal it off with moisture between the ceiling and the cladding you may cause bigger problems.

Even having the window open and the door slightly ajar whilst showering will help A little, but the best option is an extractor fan,

you'll need to measure the cubic area of the room in order to pick the correct fan to install with regard the volume of air in litres to be drawn per hour.

there are 100mm centrifugal inline fans that will push ducted air up to 6mts but they are not cheap. you'll be looking at £100 - £150 for a descent one,

you can also expell the air through a roof mounted panel if you cannot get to an external wall.

Also bear in mind BS7671 regarding zones in bathrooms as dependent on the fan location you will have to choose one with the appropriate voltage and ensure that the circuit has the correct protective devices fitted.

better still, get a qualified, partp registered sparky to install it.

marblex is what it is called or there is hollow board ,i use to fit it ,and to be honest if you ent going to get a vent then don't use it ,what happens is you fit double glazing and then insulate your house it then becomes a fish tank , MOLD CITY ,marblex is ok in a well vented room ,you will get water running down the wall 10x more than you have now ,you need 300mm of insulation in the roof and a vent ,then flatten off old artex with a scraper then 2 coats of PVA glue ,then 2 coats of mult finish plaster ,then 2 coats of waterproof bathroom paint with a gloss finish ,have the vent come on with the light in the bathroom and on a timer ,if you cant get to the roof on the bathroom side then put a universal tile vent on the other side of the roof apex and link upto the vent with a long flexi pipe like you have for a tumble dryer,there is no other way ,you will waste a lot of time and money ,ive done mine and haven't had any mold for 4 years ,take it from a pro 30+ years in the trade ;-)