BBC1 COUNTRYFILE

hutchie the white hunter

Totally unamused about tonight's countryfile program about the reintroduction of RED KITES TO THE UK! This is really unacceptable and should not be allowed ,the red kite population is on the increase year in year out, and for there project to be allowed to release more and more EVERY YEAR is just not right ?, where do they stop!, not only are the buzzard numbers (admittedly as stated in the program) overwhelming, the red kites are taking over as well, the people in question are not being realistic in raptor preservation they are releasing a top of the food chain predator into the wild and it should most certainly not be allowed at this scale i would understand if this avian predator was under threat as it was may years ago but not now? ,remember when you used to drive along the motorway and all you seen were buzzards well now look what you have RED KITES AND BUZZARDS THIS IS IRRESPONSIBLE :exclamation:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the people in question are not being realistic in raptor preservation they are releasing a top of the food chain predator into the wild

Main part of it's diet is carrion, hardly top of the food chain predator, after that rabbits,mice,voles,birds etc.

Quite a few around our way, & nice to see now & then.

well personally i like seeing them,dont see many round my area,just odd one here and there. dont have any interest in pheasants really so that dont bother me either.they are mainly carrion feeders,but same as anything,they need to eat so any easy meal will do.also agree that in some areas they could possibly become pests to some people,everything is a pest to some people i suppose,thats why most things need controlling to some extent,but whos to say what and when?? the goverment im sorry to say.

well personally i like seeing them,dont see many round my area,just odd one here and there. dont have any interest in pheasants really so that dont bother me either.they are mainly carrion feeders,but same as anything,they need to eat so any easy meal will do.also agree that in some areas they could possibly become pests to some people,everything is a pest to some people i suppose,thats why most things need controlling to some extent,but whos to say what and when?? the goverment im sorry to say.

Exactly and i agree everyone is intitled to there own opinion,but the fact of the matter is that there is no way of controlling there numbers and they will just keep saying they "WERE" an endangered species and release more every year so that's the point i am getting at when will they stop? the only way to control numbers is to stop releasing them and i cant see that happening ever :no: ?? + you dont see many now but just wait for a few years and the place will be over run, mark my words!

Edited by hutchie the white hunter

It is a rare day when I don't see at least two or three red kites, they are very common in this area. There are two shoots bordering our land and I don't hear any complaints from the keepers about them, its the foxes they aqre most worried about. They don't bother our chicks either. Perhaps we are just lucky.

It is a rare day when I don't see at least two or three red kites, they are very common in this area. There are two shoots bordering our land and I don't hear any complaints from the keepers about them, its the foxes they aqre most worried about. They don't bother our chicks either. Perhaps we are just lucky.

YET just wait !

RUBBISH !! Why do you think they were near extinction :blink: ,because THEY KILL GAME BIRDS !!!!

Yet to hear a shoot round our way complaining if Kites taking poults....

back in them days near everything was persecuted in the name of gamekeeping...... or an excuse for the lack of it..

Edited by Bazooka Joe

Hutchie why don't keepers put these new surveillance cameras up to monitor their feed rides & release pens ? that should shed some light on a lot of things ! & tell me I some times can see that things need to be controlled but what right did keepers have to drive a some of our bird species to near extinction years ago ? having trained & flown 2 buzzards years ago I know they can take young rabbits because I have caught them with buzzards . If keepers want to make a point about buzzards & red kites taking poults lets see it on film like the film of the buzz taking an Osprey chick ? . Come on get the cameras out chaps & I cant wait to see the footage on here .

Please no comments from internet Trolls when they get home from the pub tonight !

The Red Kite is an impressive bird of prey which thankfully nowadays is a familiar sight to many people living in some areas of the United Kingdom (NOT ME). It is a diurnal raptor and a member of a family of birds called ‘Accipitridae’ which includes the kites, old World vultures, harriers, hawks, eagles, buzzards etc; Both sexes of the Red Kite are similarly coloured but as in many birds of prey the female is slightly larger than the male but this is difficult to discern in the field. The present day name for the kite is derived from the Anglo-Saxon ‘cyta’. In Britain it was known in the past by a number of local names the most widespread being “Glead” or “Gleade” and “Puttock” a name which Shakespeare knew it by. In Wales it is known as “Boda Wennol” (Swallow Buzzard) or “Barcud Coch” (red kite) or even “Boda Chwiw” (whistling kite) which is a reference to its distinctive call. It was once a common sight in the towns and cities of medieval Britain; but then during the 18th and 19th centuries there followed a period of relentless persecution at the hands of man almost to the point of extinction of the species in the British Isles. The Kite fell out of favour due to its predation on young domestic fowl and game birds. The development in the manufacture of firearms made the task of extermination easier for the hunters. Its lack of fear of man made it an easy target.

Hutchie why don't keepers put these new surveillance cameras up to monitor their feed rides & release pens ? that should shed some light on a lot of things ! & tell me I some times can see that things need to be controlled but what right did keepers have to drive a some of our bird species to near extinction years ago ? having trained & flown 2 buzzards years ago I know they can take young rabbits because I have caught them with buzzards . If keepers want to make a point about buzzards & red kites taking poults lets see it on film like the film of the buzz taking an Osprey chick ? . Come on get the cameras out chaps & I cant wait to see the footage on here .

Please no comments from internet Trolls when they get home from the pub tonight !

ARE YOU :ninja: ANTI ,AND NO I DONT THINK IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA VIDEOING ANYTHING AROUND THE PEN ???:hmmm:

Thats a very selective, clip of the original page you C&P from...

http://www.birdsofbr...s/red-kite2.asp

WHAT you want me to C&P the whole thing ?? THAT is what they do and THAT is why i don't agree with mass reintroduction !

....and that is all I need to know about you. Goodnight.

:lol: :lol: sleep tight dont let the bedbugs bite !!