Pigeon with back of skull exposed

Thunderbird

OK, we had dead pigeon which had probably been lying in the crop for an hour and a half or so, upon retrieval the back of its head was completely free of skin and feathers and the skull exposed. You could knock your knuckle against the dome.

Opinion was it might be a beetle that tries to dig into the head but it did a hell of a good job in a short time.

Anyone else seen this?

Edited by Thunderbird

would it be rats or stoats ?,we had a barn conversion a few years back and the rabbits would burrow in the sand over the weekends and have young ,we also had a load of old tin sheets next to it where we had rats,we would dig out the rabbits as we didn't want them in the mixer and a lot of the young had the back of there heads missing ,and we lifted up the tin sheets and in amongts the rats nest were young dead rabbits with heads chewed ?

OK, we had dead pigeon which had probably been lying in the crop for an hour and a half or so, upon retrieval the back of its head was completely free of skin and feathers and the skull exposed. You could knock your knuckle against the dome.

Opinion was it might be a beetle that tries to dig into the head but it did a hell of a good job in a short time.

Anyone else seen this?

had exactly the same thing yesterday,the bird was picked within 10 min so can only assume it was in this state before i shot it..

Had a similar thing about a few weeks ago shooting over a rape field. Shot the pigeon and then set it up as a decoy, after 2 hours shooting I packed up and on picking up the pigeon noticed that its skull was exposed. It seemed too precise for any shot or a result of it falling out of the sky, really puzzled me. Having read this thread there are a lot of stoats in that area but I'm pretty sure I would have noticed movement within the decoys.

I've had another theory about this.

Stallions bite their mares on the neck and some species of cock birds hold onto the neck feathers of the females when they are mounting them.

Could this be the reason for the bare patches? Of course the affected birds would all have to be female or my theory is blown away unless we are seeing the first instances of gay wood pigeon behaviour.

I've had another theory about this.

Stallions bite their mares on the neck and some species of cock birds hold onto the neck feathers of the females when they are mounting them.

Could this be the reason for the bare patches? Of course the affected birds would all have to be female or my theory is blown away unless we are seeing the first instances of gay wood pigeon behaviour.

Lol at the last bit!!

Its like the X Files! interesting reading. Do birds suffer with baldness? I have seen wild and caged birds flying with hardly any body feathers but never the head

Saw the same thing when out over wheat last year.

I set the pigeon aside and within seconds it had two wasps over it and biting into it.

I've been in the garden before trimming meat for the Bar-B and have seen wasps cut off and fly away with tiny bits of meat. I've also seen a wasp eating a huge bluebottle fly that was still alive and buzzing.

Wasps are evidently carniverous and I think on hot days they go for anything.