Never seen this before...

-Mongrel-

Walking the dogs this afternoon when I noticed large numbers of relatively large birds perched along some power lines. My interest was piqued by the size of them and, it wasn't until one or two did the characteristic wing flap and stretch that they do, that I suddenly started to realise what they were.

This was confirmed by a couple more that came down the river Adur that we were walking along and then diverted across to join them.

Anyone else seen cormorants in these numbers and anyone know why? I've never seen this density before, yes you see maybe half a dozen along the tidal stretches sat on moorings and similar, but also I've never seen them on power lines.

Apologies for the quality, it was on the Blackberry and at distance, I counted 41 birds...

IMG-20120826-00054.jpg

Are they back on the General licence yet, and if so what cart size would you recommend? ;)

Edited by -Mongrel-

approx 32 comerants sat there ,each bird eats about 1lb of fish each per day ,

32 x 1lb = 32lb per day

32 x 365 lb = 11,680lb per year and thats just for that lot

now try and do the maths for the hole lot in the UK ,

I THINK THEY NEED TO GO ON THE GENERAL LICENCE

There were 41 actually, there are more on the pylon itself so that is nearly 15,000lbs a year, EVEN MORE REASON!

Wonder what they taste like?

they are under review at the moment and hopefully common sense will prevail and they will be on the general licence soon .

ive seen dozens of them in one place . 2 winters ago when we had the big freeze the river earn in perthshire was covered in them as everywhere else had froze .

they ate that much fish they couldnt take off and were walking about in the fields at the side if the river .

ive also seen big numbers on loch ken in hard weather whilst pike fishing and most pike caught there had some form of scar from them .

if they do end up on the general licence i will take great pleasure in shooting them .

after the river earn they were refered to as the black death in the fishing column in the sun and a better name i cant think of

if they do go on GL i cant wait ,just think ,you wait till they do under and you then wait till they pop up ,lights out and a big ploom of water lol

Not that easy im afraid, they present a very low profile on the water and do not stay on the surface for long, i tracked one up and down a lake for nearlty 20 mins before he presented a shot and thats only because he popped up and flapped his wings right in my sight picture.

A 55grn HP to the chest from my 22-250 sorted him PDQ.

Ian.

Edited by Vermincinerator