.22 hornet 12mnths on

kent

as many of you know i have been mighty impressed with the .22 hornet of late. Initially and for much more than a decade i was talked out of getting one with all the usual diatribe by those who had never actually owned one. Very low case life, hard to get ammo, .222 better at everything, low accuraccy. however i was slowly away meeting more users and questioning them and getting very contradictory tales.

having a number of issues with my HMR on Crows (windages and unpredictable terminals through changing ranges and impact speeds). i found myself considering it yet again so i though hang it all i will actually try it and i must say i am glad i did, it certainly has exceeded my expectations.

round count is approx 600 presently and i have tried 46 grn TMS RWS factory, 35 grn v-max Hornady factory, 40grn speer homeloads and my current favourite 45 grn Seirra homeloads. The only round i havent tried on quarry is the v-max as the accuraccy just couldn't cut it (although it was exceptionaly good at short range 50yds or so). added to the worst long range balistics of the bunch i can see why many might be bitterly disapointed in this cartridge if they only tried this particular round, although it is very popular i found it not realy worth aiming at 150yds! Others might find better in thier guns though.

Damage levels on edible quarry were a consern but actually compare favourably with the HMR as it tends to punch through rather than blow up. I have yet to body shoot a Rabbit though as mixi reduced thier numbers last year (the few i have used the Hornet on have all been headshot) Hares i have in numbers and can report that neck shots waste no meat and chest shots compare to a well constructed 100grn 6mm bullet from a .243 on roe ( pass through without undue bloodshot meat and unessasary mangling).

now i realy was expecting to get very little in terms of extended ranges, reading much of the hype you tend to expect 150-170 yds. However i am quite confident on producing 1/2" - 3/4" at 200yds with 45 grn handloads during reasonably predictable conditions @ 2900 fps. Hitting say a midi clay 1st round in all but the worst conditions out at 225yds is what i expect under field conditions and the RWS factory @ 2550fps is very capable also printing not far off that if a little more loopy . At over 200yds energy levels exceed the best from a WMR at the end of the muzzle so its still Fox capable.

sound levels with a small centrefire moderator is certainly lower than the HMR with the usual SAK etc, based on the fact that it cannot be heard in the kitchen with the front door open, the gun being fired 50yds away over open fields yet the moderated HMR could be (a highly scientific test you must agree).

brass life using RWS has not been an issue either as LIL gun powder produces very low case pressures for given velocity and i have yet to scrap one of my origonal cases, Neck sizing with a LE wilson neck bushing die. i think i must be around the fith firing now based on round count and my origonal batch of factory ammo.

The only issue realy is ocasionally i get feed jambs when the rimmed cases cross over in the magazine stack by my sloppy loading. I have know this happen to others using .22 lr but it has never happened to myself previously. anyway the tempation now is the posibility of a custom fully moderated single shot hornet, though the existing CZ527 will certainly stick around a while. perhaps if i could justify the new .17 variant though?

Edited by kent

You sound pleased Kent, what sort of price is 25x factory loads roughly and what sort of accuracy would you expect from a factory load?

Reason i ask is that at some point (probably march at renewal time) im going to put in for a variation for something with a little more grunt for fox but can't decide on what to do. if I'm honest I'm probably too lazy to reload so not sure I'd get the benefits of the hornet although i love the idea of having one gun that can do pretty much everything vermin wise. So then your looking at .222, .22-250 and .223 but if I was going down the larger calibre route would I be better of to just go for a .243 at least then I've got the option of going for paid stalks too and would be covered for anything in these lands.

Atb Gary

You sound pleased Kent, what sort of price is 25x factory loads roughly and what sort of accuracy would you expect from a factory load?

Reason i ask is that at some point (probably march at renewal time) im going to put in for a variation for something with a little more grunt for fox but can't decide on what to do. if I'm honest I'm probably too lazy to reload so not sure I'd get the benefits of the hornet although i love the idea of having one gun that can do pretty much everything vermin wise. So then your looking at .222, .22-250 and .223 but if I was going down the larger calibre route would I be better of to just go for a .243 at least then I've got the option of going for paid stalks too and would be covered for anything in these lands.

Atb Gary

price depends on brand, expect to pay the same as you might for equilent .222 , .223 but get an extra 5 in the box as they are sold in 25's generally not 20's. i have used a .243 win for many years with a .22lr below it and the .243 above the hornet is a good choice. I expect only marginally lower accuraccy from RWS factory than my hand loads as per post- but they are slower as per post so you need to account more for drop. I zero the homeloads at 135yds in practice its pretty much point and shoot out to around 160 1/2" high or 1/2" low. I paid £19 per box of RWS, homeloads can work out slightly cheaper than HMR

That's not bad £19 for 25 and if it's only marginal accuracy wise I wouldn't be too bothered, with them nearly been obsolete I expected factory loads to be a lot dearer!

Cheers for the info mate, I think I'm leaning back toward the hornet now I'd certainly prefere a jack of all trades type gun rather than a dedicated fox rifle.

Atb Gary

i bought a cz 527 hornet a week ago and so far i am well impressed. my reason for buying it was to have a gun to grab and go. the .22lr is a great gun/caliber and will always have its place but its good to have a bit more range. the .223 i have is very accurate and is great to set up in one place and "snipe" with, but with the mod and the big scope and usually the bipod, its not a gun to carry around comfortably.

i have tried PPU 45gr SP, hornady 35gr v-max and sellier and bellot 45gr SP through the hornet and so far it likes the ppu and s&b best with s&b having the edge. i tried a few home loads with what i had in the cupboard (waiting on my RFD to get in lil gun) and groups were a bit better. i used PPU brass, win small rifle primer, H4198 powder and speer 45gr spitzer SP and with 11gr of H4198 i was getting just under 3/4" groups at 100. looking forward to getting some lil gun and some pistol primers and some time and weather to have a proper play with it, but so far thumbs up for the hornet :good: :good: :good:

P.S the only trouble i have had so far was with the hornady and S&B brass, the flash hole was to small for the lee case trimmer to fit through and the de-capping pin on the die was tight tight tight :oops::hmm:

i bought a cz 527 hornet a week ago and so far i am well impressed. my reason for buying it was to have a gun to grab and go. the .22lr is a great gun/caliber and will always have its place but its good to have a bit more range. the .223 i have is very accurate and is great to set up in one place and "snipe" with, but with the mod and the big scope and usually the bipod, its not a gun to carry around comfortably.

i have tried PPU 45gr SP, hornady 35gr v-max and sellier and bellot 45gr SP through the hornet and so far it likes the ppu and s&b best with s&b having the edge. i tried a few home loads with what i had in the cupboard (waiting on my RFD to get in lil gun) and groups were a bit better. i used PPU brass, win small rifle primer, H4198 powder and speer 45gr spitzer SP and with 11gr of H4198 i was getting just under 3/4" groups at 100. looking forward to getting some lil gun and some pistol primers and some time and weather to have a proper play with it, but so far thumbs up for the hornet :good: :good: :good:

P.S the only trouble i have had so far was with the hornady and S&B brass, the flash hole was to small for the lee case trimmer to fit through and the de-capping pin on the die was tight tight tight :oops::hmm:

I dont trim unless i have to on any brass. on a case as thin as the hornet you might be doing more harm than good. Just check the length before you go cutting away the ends

That's not bad £19 for 25 and if it's only marginal accuracy wise I wouldn't be too bothered, with them nearly been obsolete I expected factory loads to be a lot dearer!

Cheers for the info mate, I think I'm leaning back toward the hornet now I'd certainly prefere a jack of all trades type gun rather than a dedicated fox rifle.

Atb Gary

No such thing as near obsolite, something is either obsolite or not. I havent found factory at all hard to obtain personally, but you might have to take whats stocked rather than be choosy Hornady,Sellier + B, RWS, PPU etc. At a wild guess i would have a stab at more PW members owning a Hornet than a 30-06 which is actually a very common round worldwide

Nothing is set in stone. After a disaster with Winchester SR primers, I tried CCI 400 which were fine and then small pistol as they're often recommended but I immediately went back to the CCI small rifle as everything was erratic.

CZ527 Hornet is a really nice little rifle.

A

I know this may seem an unusual question but in comparison to a .22lr (mine is a CZ Silhouette 16" barrel) how big are the rifles?

The reason why I ask is the majority of my rifle shooting is out of a car. My .204 Ruger is a Howa 1500 with a Pred 8 mod. It's a lovely gun, amazing knockdown power and nice flat trajectory but it's cumbersome to shoot out of the Landy.

I have an available 17 hmr slot and was thinking of how best to put it to use.

Regards

Jonathan

I know this may seem an unusual question but in comparison to a .22lr (mine is a CZ Silhouette 16" barrel) how big are the rifles?

The reason why I ask is the majority of my rifle shooting is out of a car. My .204 Ruger is a Howa 1500 with a Pred 8 mod. It's a lovely gun, amazing knockdown power and nice flat trajectory but it's cumbersome to shoot out of the Landy.

I have an available 17 hmr slot and was thinking of how best to put it to use.

Regards

Jonathan

The advantage in a CZ 527 in total length is not realy a lot and lies only in action length. That said a Hornet is very easy to moderate and not an ear buster unmoderated. Burning only 10-12grns of powder its easy to moderate well with smaller mods and also performs well enough with shorter barrels (check out .22 Hornet pistol load data) it dont take long for the small charge to burn. Gotta say i am not a big fan of shooting from cars but a shortened single shot hornet with a reasonable relex type moddy would take some beating

No such thing as near obsolite, something is either obsolite or not. I havent found factory at all hard to obtain personally, but you might have to take whats stocked rather than be choosy Hornady,Sellier + B, RWS, PPU etc. At a wild guess i would have a stab at more PW members owning a Hornet than a 30-06 which is actually a very common round worldwide

Sorry Kent that was meant to be sarcastic, there's a certain someone on here who likes telling people it is an obsolete round.