few good days on the fallow and sika

docholiday

photos are from my phone so sorry but had a few good days with our cull, Wednesday saw two prickets bite the dust

file-13.jpg

interestingly the top pricket had pulled the bone attachment off of his hamstring, somehow it didnt affect him, he didnt limp and it wasnt till the gralloch that I saw it

file-14.jpg

Back out on friday and had a sika spica

file-10.jpg

file-9.jpg

This on was interesting as the bullet (140 6.5 x 55 ppu ) hit the rib square on and was turned through the body, I found it in the skin over the leg

file-15.jpg

interesting to see the riffling on the bullet

and yesterday two of us had a pricket and an average buck, always good to load up the Landrover.

file-11.jpg

Quiet night in tonight but its been a good couple of days,

Edited by docholiday

nice one Doc some cracking sport, saw my first one out of velvet this week and he was a bit of a big boy, which is very rare on our ground. The big question at the moment is whether to put him in the chiller or not, as they really just cross us they tend to get shot as they move about. If only there were a few more to make that decision easier!

unless he is a master buck I would be tempted to remove him, very difficult to shoot out fallow once they have established an area, but they are grand to watch, you could get a camera and shoot him with that !!!

I spent an afternoon with the big lens up a hide last week will stick some of the shots up tonight if I dont go out stalking, I learnt a hell of a lot watching them, the buck was fighting with the prickets, and the prickets were rubbing on some very tall thistles, there were about 50 fallow in front of me and it was easy to find the prickets, just had to look for the tall thistles being thrashed about.

Edited by docholiday