time limit

gallant

The limit is when your certificate gets reviewed - i.e renewal time. If you've not filled it by the time you renew your certificate the police will say that you don't have good reason for that firearm (as if you had you'd have bought one), and will therefore remove it from your next certificate.

hi, got my fac last year for .17hmr and .22lr, i have a hmr but not had the funds yet for .22lr, is there a limit for you to fill the slot, cheers

If your getting close to the renewal date and have any worries, then get yourself on old cheap 22lr to fill your slot, chuck a cheap scope on and you have filled your slot, looking around you could get a set up for just about £180 inc scope :good:

The limit is when your certificate gets reviewed - i.e renewal time. If you've not filled it by the time you renew your certificate the police will say that you don't have good reason for that firearm (as if you had you'd have bought one), and will therefore remove it from your next certificate.

Thats not true ive just done my renewal and i had a second .22lr and a .17rem on my ticket id not bought they been there 3 years. all you do is put down for them slots to be kept as tecnically your asking to be granted all your calibers you own too and any you dont own yet.

Thats not true ive just done my renewal and i had a second .22lr and a .17rem on my ticket id not bought they been there 3 years. all you do is put down for them slots to be kept as tecnically your asking to be granted all your calibers you own too and any you dont own yet.

As SPARKIE...There is NO time limit, any region may remove any "slot" over time issues as they see fit. Logically, if you have had a slot for 5 years and not filled it you might struggle to justify need, but just the same, there is no legal time frame.

ATB

hi, got my fac last year for .17hmr and .22lr, i have a hmr but not had the funds yet for .22lr, is there a limit for you to fill the slot, cheers

Yes, at renewal if you aint got it you loose it genrally and its darn hard to get it back on. When it comes up if you aint got enough cash just get an old dog of a .22 from a dealers auction/scrap bin. Thing is if it takes more than 5 yrs to get it you aint got "good reason" in thier eyes and i suspose they are correct. I do loose guns that i no-longer need or use and dont carry open slots for these reasons and you bet i reffer them to this IF i get issues with a grant

As SPARKIE...There is NO time limit, any region may remove any "slot" over time issues as they see fit. Logically, if you have had a slot for 5 years and not filled it you might struggle to justify need, but just the same, there is no legal time frame.

ATB

Ive had a slot for a second .22 for 7 years and not filled it and had no problems.

There may not be any actual time limit or set policies on this, but generally speaking you can't expect to keep a slot open that you've had for some time after taking it through a renewal, as it's suggesting you don't need it. Yes, in some cases (i.e yours) you may have been fine, but that's not to be expected or relied upon.

Edited by bedwards1966

There is no statutory time limit. The determining factor is 'good reason' which you must have to acquire and to continue to possess any Sec.1 firearm. As others have said if you get to renewal in five years time and you still haven't filled the slot it could (most probably would) result in the police questioning you as to why you still want the slot. They could actually re-evaluate the situation during the life of the cert if they wanted as well.

If you still had good reason to have it then they would have to renew the cert with it on. It would probably come down to what is reasonable; I suppose the fact that you hadn't bought a .22lr rifle in 5 years which you asked for becuase of a huge rabbit problem might call into question your reasons for wanting the keep the authority because it would be argued that either the bunny problem doesn't exist or you don't intend to do anything about it anyway. On the other hand It would probably be readily accepted that a collector of best quality English sporting guns may still have good reason to keep a slot to acquire a 400/.350 Nitro Express double rifle to fill a space in his collection as it may well be the case that he has simply been unable to find one yet.

J.

Edited by JonathanL