Should legal limit Airguns be licensed?

Axe

Airgun Licensing  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Should legal limit Airguns be licensed?

• Yes
    • No

NO it wont stop junkeys/neds geting hold of air guns and takeing pot shots but it will stop legitimate shooters from enjoying there sport, and put most people off taking up shooting at all. i got my first air gun for christmas age 9 (a crossman 2100) and if it wasnt for that i probably wouldnt have really got in to shooting. if they ban or put air guns on ticket in scotland, like foxhunting down south will follow.

putting air guns on ticket will not reduce the ammount of old tatty guns just how many b2's is there lying around? I was one of the unfortunate people to buy one :yes: (got rid of it sharpish) :yes: think it's ben lying under my mate's bed untouched for 7 years.

I dont think he'd bother putting it on ticket and I dont think he'd hand it in either. probably just sell it for a fiver. and its guns like this that are used in crime.licensing sub 12 ft lb guns will only harm our sport.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no i think. this would mean that no one would have sub 12 ftib air rifles anymore (apart from for delicate situaitions like barns and caravan parks) because as soon as you get an fac they would crank up there airguns power to 30ftib and sub 12ftib airguns would fall out the market. also, say the licencing system would treat a .17 hmr the same as an air rifle, this would mean that with a an air rifle you would not be aloud to shoot a woody/squizzer out of a tree because in the eyes of the law an air rifle would be seen as a firearm. it would be stupid to shoot a .17 hmr with no soild backstop because those bullets will travel for miles. with enough land behind, shooting something out of a tree with sub 12ftib air rifle is perfectly fine.

you can shoot a 22rimfire in to trees using caps or cb shorts.it is not illegal to shoot an air rifle or should that be firearm into trees when it is of fac power.so it is perfectly fine to do so,ask your feo and he will tell you so and common sense used.

12ftlb rifles are classed as firearms,even though we think them as not so because of the distinction between fac or not having fac..wierd really.

if you get caught in a field with your sub 12ftlb rifle without permission to be there or the gun uncovered in a public place,you will be charged with carrying a firearm(armed trespass in field),if you see what i mean,so they are a firearm at sub 12ftlb.

not a dig but,just something to clear up.

as for the license..i say no because all it effects is the law abiding shooters and nobody else.

al

Edited by albob

I voted no as I believe there are alternatives. Why not have a system where potential buyers get vetted by the police (Retailer supplies information about potential customer and police say yay or nay) or another system where the airgun gets sent for ballistic testing so the police can collect data on the make, model, calibre, power output, serial number and rifling pattern? I.E a central database pretty much the same as what is used for real firearms to collect personal identifying information about the particular gun.

Or you could combine the two. Those who wish to persue any type of hunting/target shooting discipline should be happy enough with this. Those who just want an airgun to 'shoot the next door neighbours cat' would be put off by the idea. If licencing was to be brought in, think of the waiting times. It could be years before you get your airgun licenced given the vast quantities in circulation.

So in short-

Customer wants to buy airgun

Retailer asks customer for personal details and supplies them to the police

Police say YES or NO

If YES airgun gets tested and returned to retailer to sell to customer

If NO, a valid reason must be given to the customer by the police.

My 2 cents