Should legal limit Airguns be licensed?

Axe

Airgun Licensing  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Should legal limit Airguns be licensed?

• Yes
    • No

In conjuction with the recent thread now discussing Airgun Licensing, I thought a poll would be rather interesting.

Personally, I think all Airguns should be licensed just as Shotguns and Rimfire/Centrefire Rifles are. Is there a reason that the government havent implememnted such a scheme? Are they right not to introduce licensing?

Continue the debate and have your say.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Axe

I vote yes.

BUT

I think the question is wrong, it should read:

Should Air Guns be added to the existing FAC system. :good:

The question at the moment reads as if we have to start some whole new license system open to large fees & other pains.

CAN THE QUESTION BE REWORDED?

Putting them on the FAC is finding a middle ground instead of us & them. If we dont do something that is when we will loose or sport.

If we are seen to want to do something about the problem we will get more support & it will be excepted a bit more by those that are against the sport.

IMHO

PELTMAN

On one hand I agree that we shouldn't have to do this, its sad really becuase it used to work just fine years ago and now its been spoilt. On the other I can't see anything improving until we do something about it, as TPM has said it might as well go on the FAC.

One hell of a task getting all the weapons off people who won't go through the FAC process, mind.

Pelt Man, the question can be edited but it does raise another question. Should 12ft/lb rifles be given FAC status where every peice of land must be 'deemed suitable' or should they be given a different form of license similar to SGC (shotgun) where there is no limitation on use, so to speak.

I think there should be some form of licence :good: but it should still allow younger people to have airguns. If there was a licence that stopped younger people having airguns it would be too unfair on individuels like me that live on a farm, have plenty of land but are young (im 16)

I think a seperate licensing system should be used for non FAC air weapons.

It would operate exactly like the Shotgun Certificate, ie. without the extreme controls of the FAC.

Age requirements etc., would be the same as the SGC.

Perhaps in the future, it could be incorporated in a general/non FAC gun licence.

Keep in mind the Home Affairs Committee have recommended the following changes which will affect the licensing and control of shotguns.

Applicants for shotgun certificates should provide two referees, as required for firearm certificates, instead of the single countersignature at present.

Applicants for shotgun certificates should show "good reason" for each shotgun required, as presently required for firearm applications.

Unlike firearm certificates issued for "land use" (vermin control, deer stalking, etc.), shotgun certificates, issued on the basis for vermin control ("rough shooting"), should not be limited territorially. This means that no conditions on where the shotguns can be used, should be imposed on the certificate.

Shotgun applicants should declare the maximum number of shotguns they will require, at the time of grant or renewal of the certificate, for the lifetime of that certificate. This number will also be affected by satisfactory good reason and adequate secure storage.

Once those come to pass I think you could safely say "treat air weapons the same as shotguns"

Pelt Man, the question can be edited but it does raise another question. Should 12ft/lb rifles be given FAC status where every peice of land must be 'deemed suitable' or should they be given a different form of license similar to SGC (shotgun) where there is no limitation on use, so to speak.

You have given the reply to your own question.

Yes of course you must include new provisions for Air Rifles, but thats not a problem is it.

Regards

PELTMAN

I see no reason why they shouldn't come under a licence similar to the SGC. I think that the FAC suitable land scenario is a bit much.

As said on a previous thread, if you are law abiding and have a reason for owning an airgun then there is no reason why you shouldn't get a licence.

The police will never enforce it though, they will just put up a few more speed camera's instead. They don't want to have to go out and do any work now do they?

Cheers

Martin

I would imagine that adding conditions to the current FAC licensing might be a long and drawn out process for the government and may well cause complication to current Firearms Certification. But creating a new independent license purely for legal limit airguns may well be better as specific conditions can be applied.

Too many rules restrict our lives already, this will be just another one. Makes our lives more difficult and those who commit crime will ignore the licencing system anyway.

What will it achieve?

How will they buy the guns without a licence ?

Come on mate, how many air rifles do you think are in circulation at this minute? practically everybody I know has at least one air rifle. It will be more red tape, at the expense of the people that don't need regulating, which yobs and chavs will ignore.

What will it achieve?

Or just not selling them to people that are too young to have them legally.

I think licensing them would go a long way to stopping people buying them for other people and acting as a deterrent, but only if people could actually get banged up for being in posession of one (instead of a slap on the wrists).

There are arguments for and against. I own one and would not be averse to getting it licensed, but the cost of doing so would annoy me a lot.

Wookie

A real criminal who is going to murder somebody or hold a bank or post office up will get a gun regardless of whether they are licenced or not.

By licencing airguns it will stop all the chav's from just buying one and taking potshots at anything that moves.

I do not consider filling a form in once every 5 years a burden to continue with a sport that I enjoy. I have an air rifle and if I had to licence it then I would.

Cheers

Martin

Too many rules restrict our lives already, this will be just another one. Makes our lives more difficult and those who commit crime will ignore the licencing system anyway.

What will it achieve?

Come on mate, how many air rifles do you think are in circulation at this minute? practically everybody I know has at least one air rifle. It will be more red tape, at the expense of the people that don't need regulating, which yobs and chavs will ignore.

What will it achieve?

Colin

Do you feel that if/when this is done that all those people you now would hang on to there guns without getting a licence, IF the courts are told to deal with any unlicensed Air Gun holder the same as other unlicensed firearm holder. Air Gun crims will be delt with in the same way.

Because the law is bad so is the attitude towards these weapons. If the law is seen to be serious on this issue so will the attitude.

PELTMAN

What will it achieve?

The same way they do now, gun crime with handguns is not exactly going down.

Personally having had airguns since I was about 5 I think it would be a crying shame if my kids couldn't do the same. What we are talking about is low power guns that can be used ok in peoples gardens.

Having a system like the firearms system will mean you simply won't be able to use airguns while you're young. Ok there is a lot of parental responsibility needed for kids to use them sensibly which is where we are going wrong at the moment as airguns shouldn't be on the streets and kids should be being taught to respect them, as most of us were.

If you look at the stats kids are killing each other with knives far more these days and what are we supposed to do licence them.