Should legal limit Airguns be licensed?

Axe

Airgun Licensing  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Should legal limit Airguns be licensed?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted No.

What's the point?

As with other guns, the crimes will be commited by criminals who will ignore any legislation.

Its just an additional burden on the law abiding.

;) i vote no, it will not help you will still get the ***** that will mess it up for us,no matter what we vote the goverment will do it there way.

If you have a 'reasonable excuse' to have a knife then it should be OK although what is reasonable to someone may not be to another. If you get caught with a knife on your person then the police may take you to court for you to prove that you had a 'reasonable excuse'. If you carry a knife that is under 3" long (or 7.6 cm since we now must use metric) then you may not get arrested for possession under one law but you could be arrested under a different law if the police so wished and then you must prove that you had a 'reasonable excuse' so its pretty much upto yourself.

'Reasonable excuse' is the key.

I'm no law expert but thats the way I understand the law to be at this particular moment. Though they are wanting to ban kitchen knifes with a point, and they are banning swords in Scotland. Given that all other types of knives are banned (except pen knifes) then it could be a matter of time under we need a licence to buy a knife? Maybe we can apply to their police force for a possession and acquisition licence like that we propose for airguns so they may skin and gut and rabbit that they might shoot? £10 a year wouldnt be unreasonable and the money gained could be put back into fighting knife crime... This would stop yobs getting their hands on knives and using them in an improper manner but meanwhile letting law abiding folk use and carry them.

If you have a 'reasonable excuse' to have a knife then it should be OK although what is reasonable to someone may not be to another. If you get caught with a knife on your person then the police may take you to court for you to prove that you had a 'reasonable excuse'. If you carry a knife that is under 3" long (or 7.6 cm since we now must use metric) then you may not get arrested for possession under one law but you could be arrested under a different law if the police so wished and then you must prove that you had a 'reasonable excuse' so its pretty much upto yourself.

'Reasonable excuse' is the key.

I'm no law expert but thats the way I understand the law to be at this particular moment. Though they are wanting to ban kitchen knifes with a point, and they are banning swords in Scotland. Given that all other types of knives are banned (except pen knifes) then it could be a matter of time under we need a licence to buy a knife? Maybe we can apply to their police force for a possession and acquisition licence like that we propose for airguns so they may skin and gut and rabbit that they might shoot? ?[u]10 a year wouldnt be unreasonable and the money gained could be put back into fighting knife crime... This would stop yobs getting their hands on knives and using them in an improper manner but meanwhile letting law abiding folk use and carry them.[/u]

you are having a laugh mate ;) I don`t think so

and denounce all those who want to tie us all up.

Sorry but I don't think we need to go that far mate.....I knew this girl...but hey that's a totally different forum ;-))))

Not trying to derail the thread its all vey interesting. The biggest irony of all is that the more legislation they introduce the less likely any of it is to get used or gain any credibility.

In my view it would be pointless as the jerks who cause all the trouble would either keep them without licensing them or buy them illegally - look what the handgun ban did to gun crime - jack all.

It would just be another form of taxation and once they do license you and want to ban them then they know where a hell of a lot of them are and good old joe blogs who pays his taxes and works hard etc gets screwed again.

thats my opinion anyway lol ;)

I can see both sides of the debate. But the principal for licensing is surely to prevent opportunist crime. If a license is introduced then surely it will prevent these bored out of job teenagers buying a £25 gun and missusing it.

If the guns are licensed the Police will have more power to act on those that flaunt the law. This in principle will reduce the number of opportunist airgun accidents/incidents. Many of the guns may well stay in circulation but people will be more afraid to be seen with them. Lets not keep referring to the serious criminal though, they certainly arent interested in a 12ft/lb rifle, are they?

In order to move forward things must change, its a shame but thats the way it is. EU laws get tougher by the minute and the Police get less and less power to act. If licensing is not the answer then what is?

well addresed Axe, ( sorry a little slow , i mean your post on page 4) over here the introduction of the CFSC (Canadian firearms safety cource) prior to licencing actualy increased the volume of leagaly purchased guns (hand long and shot) licenced or otherwise, something the government tried to reduce actualy bit them in the rear, in my own opinion, i beleive a true sporstman,and i include hunter with target shooter, will not have a problem with a controlled system, AS LONG AS IT WORKS dont let the powers that be screw up like they did here, no-one knows who got what and where it was in the first place now :good: , but we do still have handguns B)

Martin

How will they buy the guns without a licence ?

o what a license will stop people using airguns illegally?! Just like our FAC system has stopped illegal use of firearms. If judges just punish people properly who abuse the law and the government stop making up new crappy laws like this one would be, that would help stop the rise in airgun crimes and many other crimes. If it means building more prisons then so be it. I'd prefer my tax money to go towards that then more bloody speed cameras and building more homes for immrigants living off benefits.

Licenseing will help to stop a good percentage of people using airguns illegally. Particularly as the Police will have no choice but to enforce the law. Whereas at the moment its all haphazzard, a question of civial & human rights and unfortunately funding.

It won't be long now before Blair is out, so hopefully tax money might just get spent a little better. Yeah right I hear you say. B) :good:

How will they buy the guns without a licence ?

o what a license will stop people using airguns illegally?! Just like our FAC system has stopped illegal use of firearms. If judges just punish people properly who abuse the law and the government stop making up new crappy laws like this one would be, that would help stop the rise in airgun crimes and many other crimes. If it means building more prisons then so be it. I'd prefer my tax money to go towards that then more bloody speed cameras and building more homes for immrigants living off benefits.

good man. :good:

I voted no, however, explain why if licensing was introduced, and we now have to pay a fee, fill in a form, justify why we need an air rifle, etc etc, the police may still decline my application? I dont get it. How would that stop mis use of air weapons? Mr chav will still be able to do the same. I presume if licensing became mandatory I would need permmission to have an air rifle. Where as at the moment I do not require permission to own one. I can see a lot of owners getting worried over this :good:

I can see both sides of the debate. But the principal for licensing is surely to prevent opportunist crime. If a license is introduced then surely it will prevent these bored out of job teenagers buying a £25 gun and missusing it.

How? There are millions of them all over the place, and anyone who wanted one could surely get it.

If the guns are licensed the Police will have more power to act on those that flaunt the law. This in principle will reduce the number of opportunist airgun accidents/incidents. Many of the guns may well stay in circulation but people will be more afraid to be seen with them. Lets not keep referring to the serious criminal though, they certainly arent interested in a 12ft/lb rifle, are they?

But the already have ALL the power they need to act against opportunist crimes with airguns. They have plenty of power already. References to the hand gun ban has simply been to show how futile the most draconian bans are in depriving those who won't respect the rules. The answer is to have EFFECTIVE punishment of idiots.

In order to move forward things must change, its a shame but thats the way it is. EU laws get tougher by the minute and the Police get less and less power to act. If licensing is not the answer then what is?

Move forward on the right front by all means. The issue isn't the guns, it is the total lack of respect, decency, sense of responsibility, of a MINORITY of people. Most people are as sound as any of us here. Sadly police spend so much time dealing with the dross of humanity that they start to believe that everybody is dross and needs to be vetted before being allowed to walk the streets or wipe their own a*se. I know some who think just like that. The default position for them is that people are bad until they prove otherwise. Fortunately, they don't make policy and the presumption of our common law is that an individual is innocent until proven guilty. This allows most of us to go about unhindered in our everyday lives and pursuits, but this does not stop the cops from calling for more and more powers, especially in relation to firearms, but last I heard, they were the ones shooting electricians in the head eight times and letting off guns on dark staircases while arresting dusky youths of dubious character. If you want to see some real menace with firearms talk to Harry Stanley's relatives. He was shot dead whilst drunk in charge of a table leg, and all the other ludicrous cases of shootings of mental cases who could have been sorted in other ways, or of course the armed response unit that lost its firearm because they went somewhere leaving the car unlocked and the gun in the footwell...... LOL and they come and pass ME as fit to own a rimmy and a shogun? Don't make me laugh mate.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm The only thing I wouldnt like is the fact that this government likes to make it such a "nanny state". If they did licence air rifles it would soon change to a "You can only have one if you prove you need one" which would probably discourage people from using them and lets be honest....the rules would end up just as tight as a normal FAC. I agree that the principle is a great idea...it keeps the place safer and makes it more responsible, but I can really see more headaches coming from this than good points at the moment.

-Andrew

P.s. I agree...I think the answer is tougher punishment on those that abuse/misuse airguns because lets face it....theyre as much a weapon in the wrong hands as a real gun.

I voted yes. A SGC type licence would reduce the number of air weapons to those most likely to abuse them. Shotguns weren't licenced at one time, not that long ago, and I bet people were saying the same then...only difference is they were leaning against a bar where, I might add, these discussions should take place :blush:

Hmm The only thing I wouldnt like is the fact that this government likes to make it such a "nanny state". If they did licence air rifles it would soon change to a "You can only have one if you prove you need one" which would probably discourage people from using them and lets be honest....the rules would end up just as tight as a normal FAC. I agree that the principle is a great idea...it keeps the place safer and makes it more responsible, but I can really see more headaches coming from this than good points at the moment.

-Andrew

P.s. I agree...I think the answer is tougher punishment on those that abuse/misuse airguns because lets face it....theyre as much a weapon in the wrong hands as a real gun.

x2 :blush:

• 3 years later...

Hi my answer is no to licensed air rifles just proof of age on purchase if you license air rifles what about the piece of 3 by 2 which i could do far more damage with topics like this give the antis more to play on lets not turn on ourselve's please ;) cheers Rob.

Edited by AirArmsRob

Hi my answer is no to licensed air rifles just proof of age on purchase if you license air rifles what about the piece of 3 by 2 which i could do far more damage with topics like this give the antis more to play on lets not turn on ourselve's please ;) cheers Rob.

How about trying not to drag four year old threads back to the top of the pile then? :sly::oops: