various Lab and terrier/lurcher questions

Ogi73

Right, had offer accepted on a house so moving out of rented and so looking to get dogs as shooting budies and pets.

Would love a springer, but had one when young so know just how mad they are (but great and loyal dogs) and has we work all day thought the more chilled out lab would be a wiser (head) choice rather than the heart choice springer. It will be used on a rough shoot with a few walked up days and the occasional pigeon shooting.

I know this is contenious but I don't think a lab will be as good at bushing, so was thinking of getting a terrier, probably a JTF to work along side it (I was always planning on 2 dogs). Do you think I'm right in my thinking?

Also my partner is a bit reluctant about the terrier (she loves them but is worried about their snappyness with kids), what are people opion on a whippet/terrier lurcher? Would this be less snappy? would it be a good bushing dog? ( i know all dogs are individual but taking an average).

I am planning on getting a Lab between 1 and 2 years letting it settle and start on training and getting the terrier or lurcher about 6 months later (again between 1 and 2 years old) do people think this is the best way to do it or would I be better getting both together? My reasoning was to let the lab settle and form its territory before the terrier (or lurcher) comes in with the terrier attitude on taking on the world!

Finally, they will have a run out in the morning and a longer walk at night, be outside kenneled together in the day and brought in when we get in from work on a night.

Got loads more questions but I've bombraded all ready!

Thanks

Martin

We have a whippet x jr. He's a super obedient dog. He was meant for ratting but he doesn't have it in him bless him - too gentle. As for a bushing dog I'm not sure as he has a thin coat and is a right wimp although I'm sure if you got a cross with more terrier characteristics than whippet such as a thicker more wiry coat and more tendency to 'hunt' (than mine does, anyway!) you might be in with a chance.,,

Edited by bigbird

Slow down a bit is the best advice anyone can give you. your head is all over the place and any dog should hopefully be with you for many years. certainly dont go getting multiples, bringing another dog into a house were you already have an unfinished dog is a bad idea. You cannot be breed specific about temprements all depends on the breeding and then how you bring them up.

you mention Kids so take it even steadier One dog at a time, it might well be three years or more before you feel like another will fit. besides anything else mentioned it means you get some sucession rather than a housefull of half cripled pentioners all at the same time

As terriers go I love my border...absolutely bomb proof temperament....kids have pulled him about all over the place and he doesn't bat an eyelid, as did my spaniel pup for a couple of months when he first cme home.. He has never shown any aggression to anything apart from small furry things or dogs that think they can pick on him as he is only 10kg - they soon back off.

His wire oat also means he rarely stays muddy and is relatively thorn proof so is quite at home crashing through brambles when he comes beating.

I would agree about slowing down though...get a border or whatever then wait about 2 years to get another dog.

Thanks for the advice, all makes sense, seems best bet (for me anyway) is to start with lab and get that settled and trainining well underway for a year or 3 and then look at the next dog. Was thinking about shooting needs rather than dog needs so good to have my head pulled back in :shifty:

Still interested in terrier vs whippet/terrier lurcher (mainly out of curiosity)

From the kind of shooting you say you will be doing a spaniel is the ideal dog. They are not all mad, as you said in your post. Get the right dog for the job and you will only need one. The thought of taking a terrier out shooting, and I`ve had a number, makes me feel quite nervous and unwell.

Bill

if a spaniel rules your heart, and it suits your shooting type, then get the spanner, you have to live with it for a lot of years, so best to go for something you really love and enjoy, if going for an older dog look at part trained, hopefully all its energies will be directed to working and not craziness around the house, as you will be training it too - its mind will be utilised again calming the dog whilst at home with you,

good luck

jan

Thanks for the responce's, although suggesting a spaniel is not helpfull as I've just persuaded myself but more importantly my partner that a Lab is the way forward, she has just read the pro spaniel responces and now she feels the argument is won :eh:

So could all change to a spaniel, although I pretty much argue for a living not sure I can take on the joint forces of piegeon watch members and my partner :no:

So a search through the Lab vs Spanniel threads for me!

Never thought shooting was so complicated, deciding gun is hard enough deciding dog even harder!!

After pressing post got a chant of "I'm getting a spaniel" so much for research.......great springer has just come on the telly too, everyones against me :drool:

Hey mate.

In my honest opinion I wouldn't bother with a lurcher for bashing especially if your thinking of shooting over it. Don't get me wrong my beddy whippet will bush to some extent but is also regular running out after rabbits etc. Great ferreting dogs mind heart of gold and hard as nails not much hurts him or stops him apart from his own stupidity lol.

Karpman