S/H Browning on a budget, but which one ???

Bogder

I am looking to add a Second Hand Browning, to the 12g "30" Beretta 686E Sporter that I already own, which I use mainly for clays but also Pigeon shooting .

Not being long to the Sport (and putting fit to one side for the moment) having shot the 325 425 & 525 which although different to my Beretta felt good so I am going to teat myself, but have a Max budget of £700 .

Knowing next to nothing about Brownings which model should I be going for & why?

I picked up a s/h US imported Browning Citori for just less than your budget last year. From what I understand the Citori is the US market's name for the 325/425/525 series. More details on the Browning US site. Mine has Invector multi-chokes & I use it mostly for clays and the occasional walked up shoot. Could be another option for you to consider.

Dont want to rain on your parade; but you may care to consider upgrading the Beretta if you are shooting well with it ! Brownings and Beretta have a totally different feel to them due to the setting up of the stocks and point of balance & overall weight. Both in their own way are well built, reliable and nice looking guns; but you often find that people tend to shoot better with one or the other but not both.

You havent said whether you are looking for a Sporter or a Game gun; but as the majority of 325 / 425 / 525 Brownings on the market are Sporters I can see you ending up with 2 x Sporters that shoot and handle totally differently. You end up swapping from one to another and your results will suffer accordingly. If the aim of buying is to fill the gun-cabinet up, feel free to blow your 700 notes on a nice Grade 1 425, but you may end up confusing the memory bank by swapping around between the two when you go shooting !

Dont want to rain on your parade; but you may care to consider upgrading the Beretta if you are shooting well with it ! Brownings and Beretta have a totally different feel to them due to the setting up of the stocks and point of balance & overall weight. Both in their own way are well built, reliable and nice looking guns; but you often find that people tend to shoot better with one or the other but not both.

You havent said whether you are looking for a Sporter or a Game gun; but as the majority of 325 / 425 / 525 Brownings on the market are Sporters I can see you ending up with 2 x Sporters that shoot and handle totally differently. You end up swapping from one to another and your results will suffer accordingly. If the aim of buying is to fill the gun-cabinet up, feel free to blow your 700 notes on a nice Grade 1 425, but you may end up confusing the memory bank by swapping around between the two when you go shooting !

Ditto. :good:

hello bodger have a look at browning medalist i have 2 one 28in,20g with 3 in chamber,and one 30in 12g,23/4 chamber they handel very well,you can geet them for around £500.there made in italy for browning,but thats no problem cos the other brownings are made by miroku for them,i might add i use both guns regular an can shoot equally with both.both are sporters.check em out.both are multi chokes as well.

Edited by hawkfanz

Ditto +1

Had both browning and beretta and they handle totally differently to each other, as my 525 was a excelent gun had it altered for a better fit. In the end sold the browning & miruko and stick to beretta's, My s/a are not beretta's but the cast etc is close as I can reasonable get to the beretta's,

Every one is different but worth checking when you are mounting the beretta check to see what your sight plain is down the rib, then mount say a 525 and you probally find that you are looking differently down the rib.

I started off with a 325 then on to a 425 then on to a DT10.

Both the 325 and the 425 behaved flawless, my 425 had the back bored barrels and invector + chokes which are an option on the 425 and 525, the 325 IIRC is only available with the standard barrels and Invector chokes.

The Invector + are meant to give better patterns but I never had an issue with the patterns on the 325 so I would not let that worry you.

Both my guns were made by Miroku and if I was going down the Browning route again I would buy a Miroku as it’s the exact same action and barrels just cheaper to buy with a few different fit and cosmetic details.

So you get a lot more gun for your money with the Miroku as you are just paying for the Browning name and marketing.

:good: