success on the 1st

aister

this morning was one of those mornings where everything worked to perfection. 3 of us in layout blinds and one in a hide along the fence. 24 FUD decoys around our blinds and a good stiff breeze on our backs. we waited a long time before the geese came, we arived at the park at 3.15am and the first geese came about 5.45am. they came in just a treat, it reminded me of some of the american vids on youtube, paddles down and trying to land just 20-25 yards in front. the 4 of us shot well (very unusual). the geese came in small bunches of 8-20 which is just what you want. by the time we were finished, a very tired max had retrieved 45 geese. i would just like to say before anyone says that thats excesive, a few of years ago i would never have shot that many and i would be pretty ****** off if someone in the area had shot that many but shetland is getting a bit like orkney with the number of resident birds increasing rapidly. the local farmers are struggling with crops such as carrots and neeps. there have been talks of a cull here so we may as well have a good crack at them while we can. we had a great morning with a good few young birds which will be good in the pot. the pics are poor as they are from my slightly damp mobile. if you look close you can see orange bands on the necks of two of them.

post-29954-0-07056300-1346493324_thumb.jpg

post-29954-0-58562700-1346493339_thumb.jpg

Looks like you got one with a neck collar by the look of it ? check out where it was from & let us know , wonder if its one of the Orkney geese ? .

Best to take the bigger bags before the Icelandic birds come in & then you are sure you are getting the local geese .

Hope the pasta munchers don't see that photo or you will have the *!!!!s up there next !

not quite as big a bag as you, but went out this morning with silpig, jr, son of jr, and beretta 28g and had six between us, 3 or 4 skeins took off from a neighbouring lake, we had to jump from straw bale to bale to suss where they were going to appear from the tree line. a great day thanks to Adi, even worth the 3.30 am alarm :lol:

not quite as big a bag as you, but went out this morning with silpig, jr, son of jr, and beretta 28g and had six between us, 3 or 4 skeins took off from a neighbouring lake, we had to jump from straw bale to bale to suss where they were going to appear from the tree line. a great day thanks to Adi, even worth the 3.30 am alarm :lol:

well done :good: . there was competition for the spot we were in today so we were in the park at 3am. i didnt even bother going to bed, couldnt sleep with excitement anyway :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looks like you got one with a neck collar by the look of it ? check out where it was from & let us know , wonder if its one of the Orkney geese ?

theres two with collars. i will send in the number and location in and let you know what i get back :good:

Thanks aister will be interesting to see & dont forget to call in when your down in Orkney . :good:

ps do the BTO/RSPB do any banding in Shetland ?

Edited by Pole Star

Thats one hell of a flight mate!!. Totally understand about the numbers explanation.... even though I wouldn`t fancy plucking and gutting that lot!!! :lol: You certainly have some superb shooting in your neck of the woods.

Its great to hear the Winchester X3`s performed well. :good:

Come to think of it aister Yoggy mentioned plucking & gutting ? so tell us what is on the menu for the four of you for the next few weeks ???:hmm:

Every one on PW now want to know what plans you have for the geese & your culinary skills ! DON'T WE BOYS ???

We take it you have lots of tasty recipes to share with us ??? or perhaps you had better seek some advice from BBL ! looks like he has tried em more ways than I have going by one of his posts ! :lol:

i only use one goose recipe, its one the wife and kids love and thats the main thing. i remember the first years of shooting i used to pluck the whole bird and really when its whole plucked you can only roast them. sometimes you would get one that wasnt bad but most of the time it was like chewin on a half sole, you could use the breasts for engine mounts. heres the recipe i use, its a Polish recipe from the war that they used for poor cuts of beef, it works a treat with goose.

AISTERS GOOSE RECIPE.

INGREDIENTS:

2-3 goose breasts,

2 large red onions,

1lb of mushrooms,

300ml of single cream (or small tub)

2 cubes of beef bovril,

butter as needed,

flour.

DIRECTIONS:

1. cut goose breast in to 3 chunks, coat in flour and sear on both sides in very hot butter. adding butter as required. remove meat to large casserole dish.

2. dice onion and fry in butter till starting to brown and add too goose.

3. half mushrooms and fry in butter and add too goose and onions.

4. pour the cream in among the goose, onions and mushrooms, add water till it is all just covered then add the bovrill.

5. cover and bake in the oven at 165 deg C for three hours.

i only use one goose recipe, its one the wife and kids love and thats the main thing. i remember the first years of shooting i used to pluck the whole bird and really when its whole plucked you can only roast them. sometimes you would get one that wasnt bad but most of the time it was like chewin on a half sole, you could use the breasts for engine mounts. heres the recipe i use, its a Polish recipe from the war that they used for poor cuts of beef, it works a treat with goose.

AISTERS GOOSE RECIPE.

INGREDIENTS:

2-3 goose breasts,

2 large red onions,

1lb of mushrooms,

300ml of single cream (or small tub)

2 cubes of beef bovril,

butter as needed,

flour.

DIRECTIONS:

1. cut goose breast in to 3 chunks, coat in flour and sear on both sides in very hot butter. adding butter as required. remove meat to large casserole dish.

2. dice onion and fry in butter till starting to brown and add too goose.

3. half mushrooms and fry in butter and add too goose and onions.

4. pour the cream in among the goose, onions and mushrooms, add water till it is all just covered then add the bovrill.

5. cover and bake in the oven at 165 deg C for three hours.

YUM ! sounds good aister ! I have not tried that one only thing I will ask whats it like with a old black breasted Greylag ? anyway you still have weeks of eating :lol:

YUM ! sounds good aister ! I have not tried that one only thing I will ask whats it like with a old black breasted Greylag ? anyway you still have weeks of eating :lol:

an older one may just need a bit longer in the oven. sorry i havnt been in touch yet pole star, my shootin buddy is in the process of selling his house and starting to build a new one so we are not sure when we will get down. i will know better once he gets his house sold.

i was working with robbie (my RFD with the double 4) and he was telling me he has been doing up an old single 2 bore, new lock and a new stock. its a beast of a gun 7'6" long, 8 ounce of shot. not sure wheather i should be excited at the prospect of firing it or terrified :lol:

Edited by aister

an older one may just need a bit longer in the oven. sorry i havnt been in touch yet pole star, my shootin buddy is in the process of selling his house and starting to build a new one so we are not sure when we will get down. i will know better once he gets his house sold.

i was working with robbie (my RFD with the double 4) and he was telling me he has been doing up an old single 2 bore, new lock and a new stock. its a beast of a gun 7'6" long, 8 ounce of shot. not sure wheather i should be excited at the prospect of firing it or terrified :lol:

UM ! that will be a punt or bank gun ! or perhaps a bone breaker :hmm: I have a mate who comes up with a variety of big bore muzzle loaders ie 4s 8s ect & has got hold of a Tolley 6 bore front loader should be good ! . Should have my double 8 handy soon so when you get down it will be a fun time .

Two lads got 30 greys not far from here this morn but once the geese get wise that wont be so easy ! & to hammer the Icelandic birds that hard I think is wrong incidentally I heard a rumour that the Icelandic geese had a good breeding year this year but that's what I heard ? perhaps they had a better summer than the UK :hmm: .

ps I bet one of those neck collars is an Orcadian goose ? I know one was recorded on the Norfolk Broads some time back .

ATB Pole Star .

UM ! that will be a punt or bank gun ! or perhaps a bone breaker :hmm: I have a mate who comes up with a variety of big bore muzzle loaders ie 4s 8s ect & has got hold of a Tolley 6 bore front loader should be good ! . Should have my double 8 handy soon so when you get down it will be a fun time .

Two lads got 30 greys not far from here this morn but once the geese get wise that wont be so easy ! & to hammer the Icelandic birds that hard I think is wrong incidentally I heard a rumour that the Icelandic geese had a good breeding year this year but that's what I heard ? perhaps they had a better summer than the UK :hmm: .

ps I bet one of those neck collars is an Orcadian goose ? I know one was recorded on the Norfolk Broads some time back .

ATB Pole Star .

it could be from orkney. they collared quite a few young geese here two summers ago, we shot two of them last season.

we have been trying to hit the resident geese quite hard in september this last couple of seasons, just before the migrants come. i was surprised that we only saw 6 mallard this morning, i hope they have done well this summer. my first two shots this morning was at a pair of mallard and missed, much to the amusement of my companions :blush: :blush:

no probs mate , trust you 2 to bag the hot spots , hahahaha luck of the draw in a still air . good mornings shooting , even if dan did miss it . can you work on top of a early start one day midweek ??

It was a very good morning, Thanks very much Adi!

Looks like you got one with a neck collar by the look of it ? check out where it was from & let us know , wonder if its one of the Orkney geese ?

theres two with collars. i will send in the number and location in and let you know what i get back :good:

aister can you pm me the numbers of those collars ? & I can check them out on a fast track that I have . I under stand that one of the Orkney neck banded geese was recorded in the Faroe's so some of yours may well be Orkney banded .

Its most important that anyone getting banded or collard geese or ducks or waders pass on the number to the BTO RSPB or BASC note this is in all our interests :good:

Edited by Pole Star