Wildfowling

Shotgun jimmy

Hi all,

I have recently got a chance of a big area of ground to shoot ducks and geese and whatever else may appear over the area.

I need some advice on equipment to use as I only shoot crows over grass and arable land so I suspect my over and under with number 6 carts will not be suitable.

What is the best type of gun ? Over and under or semi?

What sort of carts should I be using and what choke should I have in the gun?

Its like starting shooting all over again :)

A lot depends on the type of area you will be shooting.

Inland or estuarial shooting doesn't require a gun any different than you are using for crows, assuming you can use non lead shot in it.

Nor is it obligatory to have a semi auto magnum for wildfowling.

Fortunately, you do not normally get as many shots at wildfowl as you get at crows.

Otherwise the cost of the cartridges would make your hair curl.

Check out the proofing of your current gun and take a look at this review of non lead shot for wildfowling, I found it useful.

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/guns/531137/Nontoxic_cartridges_review.html

Check for a picture of a lilly on the chamber area of your gun i think that is the stamp for steel proof,then check the chamber length normal guns are 2 3/4" but older guns could be 2 1/2" and newer guns are usually 3" chambers,this will tell you which length cartridge you can use maximum. For duck i use gambore super steel 32g 4's 2 3/4" 0r 70mm.As for choke stick to 1/4 0r 1/2 no tighter and if multi chokes check they are steel compatable. On geese you may want to go larger in shot size bb's or 1"s in steel. If not confident dont shoot at geese as they need a lot of stopping.I shoot infront and go for head shots.And to be honest not keen on shooting canadas.

I used my browning 425 o/u for ducks with steel and its an old gun and not proofed but that was my choice. I now use a semi as the browning doesnt like salt water.

Best bet would be to pop allong to your local gun shop with your gun and get them to check it over and explain what you would like to be doing with it.At the worst you could end up with a new gun. All the best and good luck.

it doesnt matter what gun you have, you will be able to get cartridges for it that are non toxic

if you have an older gun that is not proofed for steel, get some tmx or bismuth, 5s for duck, 1/BBs for geese

choke, depends on the gun, choose a cartridge you will stick to and check pattern through each choke at the average range you will be shooting

decoys can help but are not a must

as with shooting any wild birds, recon recon recon!!