The Wildfowling season 2012 - 2013

Wildfowler

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all this rain, hows the tide with you Brian, you will need some line and weight to hold the bottom on the Taw and Torridge at the moment!

Won't be going Steve, was looking to go Saturday, saw the river at "low tide" today, looked like high tide, going out like a steam train and more rain tomorrow

Think I'd need a ships anchor to hold bottom at the moment and it's neaps till Sunday

Much joy lately. You on the Exe Saturday?

Missed a Mallard on Saturday before last.

Last Saturday I disturbed 30 Mallard when arriving in that gulley that was on your right, then saw nothing, until I had a Spoonbill circling above me about 10yds up, and a Little Grebe swimming and diving it's way to my deeks

Brian

I took a guest last weekend. He had a few chances but didnt connect. He had some greylags come right over but didnt recognise them so didnt shoot, which was the right thing to do. I am going to try the estuary this weekend but the rain might keep me away with the extra water coming through. I am on the River Tavy on Sat morning. I have not tried it this year as it normally needs a cold snap to bring the ducks in but there are lots of mallard around at the moment.

Buy it from e bay dirt cheap http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5638a06cec

Only paid £1.50 for the Black Forge

Our local discount/value house is also selling 50m of 3mm polyproplene cord for £7.50, ideal for mother lines

Just found it cheaper still http://shop.tacticalthings.com/product_info.php?products_id=376&cPath=44 even better :good:

Only paid £1.50 for the Black Forge

Our local discount/value house is also selling 50m of 3mm polyproplene cord for £7.50, ideal for mother lines

Just found it cheaper still http://shop.tacticalthings.com/product_info.php?products_id=376&cPath=44 even better :good:

I tried all our local shops and most if not all only stocked it in 30mtr lengths hence I bought it off ebay in bulk. Think there are cheaper rolls on there that was just the first one I came across tonight. Either way I think we agree its good useable stuff

Edited by Reabrook

I LOVE MY NEW GUN!!!

I went for evening flight with my new Maxus, the wind was howling and the birds were darting all over the sky. The first pack of teal came along the creek and decided to swoop to land in front of me, without any decoys... i had 2 shots, missed the first and dropped a drake with the second. A few more packs came past but my feet were welded in place, so when i turned to swing through i just couldn't go far enough, so didn't shoot. Another pack came down the creek soon after, this time 3 widgeon, i dropped one with the first shot, hit the second with the second shot but it carried on, third shot dropped it dead... a few more packs came and went by which time the light had faded so seeing them was getting difficult. A while later, a couple of high birds came by with the wind up their tail, i caught them at the last minuet and let off a shot, but to no avail. As i was about to pack up one last widgeon came along the creek, it dropped below the moon cast shadow so i couldn't see it, i got ready for when it lifted, which in turn put it up, it soared up, i watched it go skyward until it was perfectly silhouetted against the cloud covered moon and shot, it crumpled stone dead in the air. A shot i will remember for a long time!

For 7 shots i dropped 3 widgeon and a teal, so well chuffed considering it was my first trip with the new gun! Just looking forward to morning flight now!

Great morning flight. Lost my only duck. Went up to my boll ocks in freezing water. Refused to leave. An hour later I walked back to the car with painfully cold feet. At the car I realised my hide poles had fallen out of my bag :rolleyes: I did find them but did not appreciate the extra discomfort walking back.

Got home and hit my head off the door. Could be one off those days!

Not just you mate, my lab had a mini fit last night. It happens occasionally. We have had it investigated but they can't find anything so it's just something we live with.

However, it does knock her back for about 12 hours, as such, we'll be looking to get out tomorrow morning instead of today...if nothing else, it will be windy...like severe gale force windy!!!

Well that makes 3 of us! There was heavy fog early on and i've had some good flights in similar conditions so i was quietly confident.

It started when i couldn't find the dogs whistle as my Mrs had 'tidied' it, finally found it by which time i was running late. I got to the marsh and as it was high tide at 8 i had to take a boat out to get to the spot where i thought they would be crossing. Where it had rained so much the boat was full up so i had to spend ages bailing it out until it was light enough for me to tip it over. I got across to the other side, dragged the boat up onto the mud and realised that the rope had dragged underneath the boat meaning i couldnt tie it up. after a bit of pi**ing about a had secured the boat and was off across the island. by this time the creeks had started to fill up so the going was tough. I got to my spot and put out the long line decoy rig, after a while a lone widgeon came into the decoys, i hit it with the first shot but it didnt drop so shot it again and missed (how i dont know) so let it have another one and hit it again but it carried on, as it had been hit it was startled and came round to the decoys again by which time i had loaded another cartridge and let it have another one and missed again!!! 4 shots for nothing!!! As i sat there i noticed my left hand was covered in mud, not wanting to get it on my new gun i wiped it off on my waders and thought nothing more of it. a minuet or so later my hand had sticky mud on again but all i had done was hold my gun... :hmm: wiped it off on my coat this time and carried on. Again, a minuet or so later i had a sticky hand, this is getting silly! so wiped my hand off again and watched it (i know how mad this sounds!). this time i noticed that the 'mud' was in-fact blood, it was pouring from the tip of my middle finger, but as my hand was so cold i hadn't felt it. As i had swung round for the last of the 4 pointless shots, my left hand had slipped down and the tip of my finger had sat on the action, as it reloaded the next cartridge into the breach, it cut a nice deep chunk out of my finger tip! As my hand warmed up i regained feeling... and then soon wished i hadn't!

Having stuck my finger back, 20 mins or so later a small pack came down the estuary, i dropped the closest one to me but it landed on the other bank about 70-80 yards away. My eldedst lab went straight out for it but by the time she got there it had cleared off. Then I missed a perfect opportunity at a teal whilst taking the pic below...

As the tide reached its peak there were a few widgeon dropping onto a splash behind me, i held out in my position for a while but i soon decided to move. I dragged in my decoy rig and pulled it across the marsh, all was well until i threw the anchor out into the splash. The decoys just seemed to jump up into the air and tie themselves into a monumental knot. Sod it, they can go out as they are... i turned round to walk back to my spot, tripped over the dog, slipped of the tiny spit of already submerged marsh and somehow a jet of water shot up straight into my face. After a couple of choice words with the dog (as i had told her to stay where she was), we sat down to continue the flight. Following my move, not a single duck flew into the splash and instead they all flighted along the estuary!

**** this! im off! so i packed up my gear in one massive ball of string and plastic ducks, coat and waders covered in my own blood, finger throbbing, pockets full of water where the tide had come up so far and a face covered in salt from my drop in the drink. *** am i doing!

dog infront of the flooded splash

Well, finally got out this morning. Dog was fully recovered (thanks for asking). Wind was whisling across the marsh still, the tide was approaching high and there was not a bird to be seen in the air. Day started to break and at last one or two birds began to take to the wing...straight down the centre of the channel about 150 metres out. A steady trickle of birds lifted off and headed out into the estuary over the next half hour or so with nothing coming anywhere near.

I decided to get my gloves out of the bag as they were beginning to chill, reached round for them and opened the bag up, pulled the gloves out and looked up, to see a pair of teal come past me with the wind up their tails about 2o yards away! I grabbed the gun, mounted and swung onto the rapidly receding birds, pulled through them and let two shots rip, both of which missed!!! And that was the last birds I saw in range.

Such is 'fowling! I prefer a lower tide to be honest, it lets me get closer to the channel which is their preferred route and gives a couple more chances, retrospectively the other side of the channel would have been better, but I've sat on the other side to see more birds flight the side I was on. I now need to have a think about the why's of that, for future use. A disappointing flight if I'm honest as I had high expectations, might help if I could shoot straighter though, I always struggle to adjust from clays to live and need three or four sessions to start hitting things.

Onnward and upward! :yes:

Edited by -Mongrel-

Glad to hear your dog is back on her feet! Better luck next time!

Yeah, the fitting is a bit of a problem, but without a treatable cause, there's nothing I can do about it and the occasional probelm doesn't justify getting another gundog apparently!

It's only my 2nd visit to the marsh this year, work has been very restrictive but thankfully now back to normal, so I can get out regularly again. :good:

Not just you mate, my lab had a mini fit last night. It happens occasionally. We have had it investigated but they can't find anything so it's just something we live with.

However, it does knock her back for about 12 hours, as such, we'll be looking to get out tomorrow morning instead of today...if nothing else, it will be windy...like severe gale force windy!!!

Sorry to hear about your lab. My old lab used to suffer from fits now & then, so the vet put him on mysoline tablets. These were taken each day & did keep the fits under control. I am sure you have looked into treatments, but hope my tale may be of some help.

ATB

Sky Gipsy.

Crikey we are all having a bad time. Went out tonight and lumped 30 decoys to the flooded area off the sea wall set up and thought to myself how am i going to carry all the ducks i am going to get off!

A while later about 10 canadas came past silent and by the time i saw them they were out of range, but i could hear more coming a smaller skein was following and with a couple of calls they straightened up and came within 10 yards of me about 25 yards up, long story short 3 shots for F all. Gun nearly went swimming dog got told to F off and i had my own hissy fit. 1st chance at the geese all season and probably one of the easiest i will have and i cock it up. To make it worse didnt see a duck all flight!!!!

Never mind though i am sure the next flight will be better :hmm:

Edited by silver pigeon 3

Well this morning i headed to the marsh, got there about half 9, but i wasnt there to go shooting, we had work to do!

We had road plannings arriving to fill the holes in, there were 6 of us there and we filled in the worst of them so the car park isnt soo horrible to drive in and out of. It was blowing a gale all morning and abit overcast and i'd packed the gear for the evening flight.

We had a quick fry up at the cafe after we were done and i headed back towards sheps. I got half way back and the wind had completely gone and the sun had come up making it very warm, i decided i didnt want the walk out onto the front in the heat so i headed back home to work on the kennels!

Anyone who is a regular at sheps should notice the difference now!

Although this is not a post about a shooting trip, i think its worthy of this post as its part of what we do as wildfowlers!

Edited by Big Mat