The Wildfowling season 2012 - 2013

Wildfowler

Amazing how two people in the same acre of land or so can have two very different experiences!

I'm cold, wet and tired. My waterproof jacket wasn't waterproof. My waterproof trousers also weren't waterproof. My kit got drenched because the fishing seat I use, guess what, wasn't .........proof?

I shall be expecting, nay demanding refunds!!

Very well done SP3 for a tremendous bag, a personal best no less :good:

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went for a flight on the Wash opposite some stubble fields as we noticed a very large number of Greylags feeding during the week.

The Mallard remained elusive but we came for the Geese so decided to sit tight.

We could here large numbers of Greys making a hell of a racket then within a couple of minutes we spotted a skein of around 20.

Unfortunately they were to far over to our right. The 2nd Skein of around 40 made a move and yet again were to far over to our right.

We looked at each other and decided we were sitting in the wrong spot!

We took the decision to crawl to where the Geese were coming over. After 10 minutes we managed to take a peek and there must have been around 70 still on the stubble field.

Another 10 minutes past and we could hear them taking off...........they did take off and flew about 30 yards high right over exactly where we were sitting originally!!!!!!! :shout: :shout:

Always stick to your original plan and never move!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: You would have thought after 27yrs I`d have learned my lesson!!!!!!!! :whistling:

Tomorrow evening Frampton and i think Thurs evening at Hill

Sunday evening will also be at Hill at present or if im not busy maybe Poulton Court

are you coming out to play

Yes i will be out one eve this week, just trying to fit it in around work and kids clubs! It looks like Weds will be ok, and the weather is meant to be awful again :yes: And then will be out for a morning flight somewhere on Sunday. Tide times are all a bit late really so will have to have a think, probably head over the other side somewhere.

Out fox lamping last night on the few remaining stubble fields around my village area.

With a great clattering of wings and calling we put up 30 - 40 greylags!

Looked great through the scope but I resisted the temptation to take a pull.

Never seen them on that field before.

Can't fowl it - Only allowed access to shoot charlies.

Damn!

Not had a look at aheps yet. Although I think its the closest to me. Must get the map out and all the access points.

I was thinking of having a go on the 6th of Oct, possibly an evening flight.

Which would be my first ever session on the marsh. No had the confidence to go yet.

I got all my gear out last night. No reason just excited

Edited by lister1

Sheps will be the closest!

6th of October :o I don't think i could wait that long, i havent been out in a week and a half and i want to be out there as soon as possible :lol:

Get out and have a go, you wont regret it!

That's it I've had enough of that attitude.

I'm going now....... I wish.

But I may squeeze a session in over this weekend.

I may go this Saturday tides permitting.

The only thing stopping me is confidence really. Silly isn't it.

Just had a trip up to Lindisfarne on Monday,Tuesday and Wednesday morning. Managed two morning goose flights, two tide flights and one evening flight. Shot 12 wigeon,2 pin tail, 1 teal and three pink foot geese. Weather was shocking most of the time but it brought good shooting!!

Got any photos and a report to put up, it would be nice to read about your trip, i'm offf in 2 weeks so fire me up :good:

Got any photos and a report to put up, it would be nice to read about your trip, i'm off in 2 weeks so fire me up :good:

I decided to travel up on the Sun and find a place to park and get some sleep, my plan was to do a morning flight but for some reason i didn't get up..lol :no: . Anyway got my things together and got ready for the tide flight at 1030 am near Teal hole point. I knew the wind was going to be blowing from the east and that it was going to be around 30 mph with added rain. Perfect for keeping the ducks low and close to the edge of the water. After a quick chat to a lad at the Teal Point I got into position at around 0930 am.

post-39680-0-98741800-1348768888_thumb.jpg

I shot my first about 20 min later, its the male Pin tale in the picture. He came in low from my left, fired and he reared up and dropped down dead. Then followed an exciting hour..one behind and four wigeon to the front, all left to rights.I didn't use decoys, just the weather. I packed up and moved back to car to sort my kit out.

More to follow...

Edited by Anth6568

I decided to travel up on the Sun and find a place to park and get some sleep, my plan was to do a morning flight but for some reason i didn't get up..lol :no: . Anyway got my things together and got ready for the tide flight at 1030 am near Teal hole point. I knew the wind was going top be blowing from the east and that it was going to be around 30 mph with added rain. Perfect for keeping the ducks low and close to the edge of the water. After a quick chat to a lad at the Teal Point I got into position at around 0930 am.

I shot my first about 20 min later, its the female Pin tale in the picture. She came in low from my left, fired and she reared up and dropped down dead. Then followed an exciting hour..one behind and four wigeon to the front, all left to rights.I didn't use decoys, just the weather. I packed up and moved back to car to sort my kit out.

More to follow...

Had a quick Costa in the garage and then planned my next move. Harvey's on an evening flight!!

I checked Beal Point after my coffee,as i had also planned a goose shoot the following morning. I wanted to confirm my routes in the day light. Moved back to Fenham-le-moor and walked out at around 4 pm to get my slot, any one who's been there will know what i mean..can be very busy at times and it pays to be early sometimes. I trekked across the mud flats into position.

post-39680-0-41821500-1348770369_thumb.jpg

I built the wall a little higher and then a few more lads turned up about 30 min later. One on Teal Point, one on the Chair and one at the rear of me 80 yards back.

post-39680-0-38075900-1348770006_thumb.jpg

As the evening drew darker say 7.30 pm all hell broke lose and around 100 wigeon flew in from the left, then commenced the barrage from all four guns as they flew through all our positions. I hit two wigeon, bloke behind me hit two and he had a lucky late appearance of four pink foot geese from the rear of his position. He fired and down fell a goose!! :yes: Good shot!! Shoot was over by 8 pm, looked for the birds then went back to the car again. Moved to the causeway car park!

More to follow

Edited by Anth6568

Had a quick Costa in the garage and then planned my next move. Harvey's on an evening flight!!

I checked Beal Point after my coffee,as i had also planned a goose shoot the following morning. I wanted to confirm my routes in the day light. Moved back to Fenham-le-moor and walked out at around 4 pm to get my slot, any one who's been there will know what i mean..can be very busy at times and it pays to be early sometimes. I trekked across the mud flats into position.

post-39680-0-41821500-1348770369_thumb.jpg

I built the wall a little higher and then a few more lads turned up about 30 min later. One on Teal Point, one on the Chair and one at the rear of me 80 yards back.

post-39680-0-38075900-1348770006_thumb.jpg

As the evening drew darker say 7.30 pm all hell broke lose and around 100 wigeon flew in from the left then commenced the barrage from all four guns as thew flew through all our positions. I hit two wigeon, bloke behind me hit two and he had a lucky late appearance of four pink foot geese from the rear of his position. He fired and down fell a goose!! :yes: Good shot!! Shoot was over by 8 pm, looked for the birds then went back to the car again. Moved to the causeway car park!

More to follow

I woke at 5 am and got dressed, move off 20 min later to Beal Point. I moved to the point then crossed the water. Even though it was low tide at 5.14 am it was still up to my waist :hmm: ! and no, I'm not a four foot tall before anyone asks!! Found my location in the mud channels and started to set up and get my bearings. I could hear the geese in the distance and the wind was around 35 mph and blowing from the east. The rain was coming down hard too!! As it got to around 7 am the geese started to lift, hundreds started to come over towards me and i managed to shoot 3 Pink foot that came in close enough. Due to the wind, they were blown up to 100 m away from me so i had to go in search of my bounty for the next 30 min.I was trying out my new River west Eider jkt today, glad i did as i was bone dry after that episode!! :good: not like last year :mad: !

post-39680-0-99799000-1348771719_thumb.jpg

I moved back to the car and moved to Fenham-le-moor for the next move!! Not before i stopped off for another Costa from the garage,...god bless Barbara!!!

More to follow!!

Edited by Anth6568