What 17 hmr

trevor

i would expect the CZ 452 to win hands down here. Simply as so many people shoot this gun, so they are bound to say its the best (not that im saying otherwise)

I would have thought the ones to consider where:

sako quad (nice gun, quite expensive for what it is)

cz 452/453 varmint/american (trigger often needs some work, but typically very accurate and cheap)

marlin (no experiance with this model, but have found other marlin rimfires to be quite 'agricultural')

anschutz (bound to be stunning, but expensive)

weihrauch (heavy, has monte carlo stock on it which i am not too fond on, very good 2 stage trigger)

ruger (bit like marmite, not so fond of it myself, heard of alot of bad experiances with them and it didnt strike me as a good deal or good quality package)

I have the Anschutz with Utra silencer and am happy with it.

I think that one main consideration is what the round is capable of.

0.75" groups at 100 yards would appear to be the best that you will get in good conditions - which equates to head shots at rabbits at 100 yards in good conditions. I use 17g Hornady V Max. If anyone is getting better results than this will they please let us know..

Consistent head shots at rabbits at 150 yards - well - I don't think so, but again will someone please put their hand up if they can.

Body shots at rabbits at 150 yards - easy peasy as the round is fairly flat up to 170 yards or so.

From what I have read most of the popular makes will do this - Sako, Anschutz, CZ etc. Some triggers are better than others, but I have not really met anyone who owns any of the above makes that are hugely dissatisfied. You pays your money and takes your choice.

As with a 0.22 rimmy you can chop your barrel down a couple of inches which will assist handling with no perceptible loss in accuracy. The theory of doing this will lose you some velocity, and in theory this will result in bullet drop at longer ranges. In practice - I don't think that anyone who has done this will have noticed it!

Don

Consistent head shots at rabbits at 150 yards - well - I don't think so, but again will someone please put their hand up if they can.

Yes, with no wind, a bipod, a clear line of sight & a high mag scope + known distance.

The drop is only a couple of inches if zeroed at 100 yards.

Cheers

AndyCM

Well at 100yrds, i can get 1 inch groupings constantly, at 150 its usually around the 2 inch mark and any further usually 3 or less depending on how im shooting, never usually shoot anything over 150 anyway.

At 60 yrds its ususally always hitting the same spot every time.

:good:

Yep, roughly the same as mine.

It's all relative really - with my 0.223 I start to panic if I get worse than 0.5" at 100 yards. This is with homeloads.

Don

Well at 100yrds, i can get 1 inch groupings constantly, at 150 its usually around the 2 inch mark and any further usually 3 or less depending on how im shooting, never usually shoot anything over 150 anyway.

At 60 yrds its ususally always hitting the same spot every time.

:good:

ive got a marlin vs costomised by roger francis at south yorks shootig supplies. it was 500 quid but really looks the part. when i first got it i was really disappointed with the accuracy as i could only get 3inch groups at at best no matter what ammo i ran through it. i cleaned after every 20 shots and very nearly took it back then after about 400 rounds it started to group with hornady 20grn and now at 600 rounds later with 17grn remington it absolutely fantastic !!!! i think a much better guage of accuracy. than firing off group after group, is being able to hit a target like a golf ball every time at every reasonable distance , say 25 t0 150 yds. set up half a dozen golf balls at varying ranges up to200 yds and fire a single shot at each.

if you hit them all great then leave the sights alone and dont get too caught up in the

"my gun can shoot half moa can yours" thing.

remember you normally only get one shot at a rabbit so make it count.

also the cleaning thing can become counter productive .i pull though with a bore snake after every session and thats all it gets. and yes when i do very occaisionally shoot groups, it does do the half moa thing .

thing

Sorry Hummer, but I think that you have missed the point that I was trying to make..

I don't expect any hmr to shoot 0.25" groups at 100 yards as the current range of ammo is not capable of this - perhaps it never will.

But if my rifle (which I have not had all that long) is shooting less than the guns of other experienced shooters then I want to know why.

Is it me, the way that I am holding the gun, the ammo, or is my gun a Friday night shift special?

If the same experienced guns are getting better results than me I would be very interested to know how they are doing it.

If I want to shoot rabbits in the kill area in the head at 100 yards then there is no point in having a gun that will group on a range at 2.5", as you can be damn sure that in shooting conditions your accuracy will be worse than this.

Some people are happy with a 0.223 that will group at 1.5" at 100 yards and who am I to argue with this - it is a dead fox at normal shooting ranges.

However, if I miss a fox and I know that my gun is achieving 0.5" at 100 yards then what have I done wrong? It is down to me as the shooter, as I don't want a fox with a bloody big hole in it's side wandering off to be seen by Joe Public - and to do this it's not humane anyway.

I have met some shooters who have said "I'm not very good at shooting holes in paper targets, but put me in front of a live target and watch me do it!". Absolute ********. If someone cannot shoot a gun under ideal conditions then in the field they will be worse.

Now I don't say the last statement as any criticism of you whatsoever - and you have already said that you get good groups from your gun in range conditions. I don't know you and what you do - if you use this forum then by me you're an OK bloke with lots of experience to give to others - thank you for what you have said already - especially about the cleaning bit as I am still learning about this.

Don

set up half a dozen golf balls at varying ranges up to200 yds

of course its safe magman ,every shot you ever take, whether the target is paper, game, or a golf ball should be safe. im lucky enough to shoot on the south downs which are mainly high undulating banks of chalk so theres very little chance ,if any ,of any round i fire going too far past the target.

[color=#3333FF]

set up half a dozen golf balls at varying ranges up to200 yds

of course its safe magman ,every shot you ever take, whether the target is paper, game, or a golf ball should be safe. im lucky enough to shoot on the south downs which are mainly high undulating banks of chalk so theres very little chance ,if any ,of any round i fire going too far past the target.

.17 hummer

Years ago when all I had was a legal limit Air rifle I would occasionally shoot at a golf ball with the old man next to me lighting it up ........One night I hit a 40 yarder only to have the pellet bounce straight back and hit the old man on his arm ,although it did,nt penetrate his wax jacket it would/nt have done either of our eyes any favours .

Be careful mate :good: