.410 suprise

kent

Recently i swapped some reloading kit for an old .410 single, thought it might come in ok for dog training being lighter and less recoiling and a bit less stess on a young dogs ear drums.

Anyways i picked up a few fibre wad 3" eleys 18grm no.6 and put them on paper, nice groups at 20yds but looking a bit thin at 25. but hey the velocity is there so i thought i will have a go with this sometime. I have had a few .410's many years ago and i never realy found them very humane or even very usable to be frank. Anyhow either the shells have come a long way or i knew very little of range when i was a teenager.

The thing kills like a lightning bolt! 8 shells fired all one handed lamping for 4 kills and 4 missed those never even flinched so i am gonna say they were all clean misses, its not moderated but the game dont seem to particular care if its windy and best of all it dont smash them up at short range like the 12 so perfect for cold game training and the table. Guess what Lil gun is also the powder they seem to like (the same as my hornet) so i just might start re-loading it, i am already saving the cases.

these things are kinda usefull round me as i often struggle to get a good clean path for a .22 bullet with the rushy fields and heather etc. Basically it makes the shots and covers the ground thats hard with the rifle and you certainly dont need to be as mindfull of backstops

Now does anyone know of any box lock non ejector doubles going cheap or loading presses? :hmm:

You don't need a press for .410; hand tools are the way to go. You'll make more scrap with a press because they were designed for the strong compression formed American cases.

Invest in a de/re primer, a MEC Supersizer and a roll spinner that fits in a bench drill.

Serious money can be saved with a punch to make your own wads from felt offcuts and card, if fibre is your choice.

We have a .410 loading syndicate.

PM me your location. We may be of help to you now you have re-discovered this much maligned tool!

Edit: Gleaned your location from your Profile!

Edited by Floating Chamber

As an addition to the above, invest in a good digital scale with grams/grains, a set of Lee dippers and make yourself a simple loading block with 25 holes. (Mine have 50 in a 10 x 5 format)

Imported Continental cases (hulls), can be a problem, primer-wise.

The Cheddite case is fitted with a CX50 primer OR a 684 primer. The CX50 has a brass coloured battery cup with a red varnish* over the flash hole.

The 684's battery cup is copper coloured, with an internally fitted white paper flash hole cover.

The Cheddite battery cup is MUCH SLIMMER than the 684 and will fall out of a previously 684 primed shell.

The Fiocchi primer is of the 'fatter' type.

* This varnish is water-based. The coating should be shiny. Any wrinkles will indicate exposure to moisture.

Edited by Floating Chamber

Recently i swapped some reloading kit for an old .410 single, thought it might come in ok for dog training being lighter and less recoiling and a bit less stess on a young dogs ear drums.

Anyways i picked up a few fibre wad 3" eleys 18grm no.6 and put them on paper, nice groups at 20yds but looking a bit thin at 25. but hey the velocity is there so i thought i will have a go with this sometime. I have had a few .410's many years ago and i never realy found them very humane or even very usable to be frank. Anyhow either the shells have come a long way or i knew very little of range when i was a teenager.

The thing kills like a lightning bolt! 8 shells fired all one handed lamping for 4 kills and 4 missed those never even flinched so i am gonna say they were all clean misses, its not moderated but the game dont seem to particular care if its windy and best of all it dont smash them up at short range like the 12 so perfect for cold game training and the table. Guess what Lil gun is also the powder they seem to like (the same as my hornet) so i just might start re-loading it, i am already saving the cases.

these things are kinda usefull round me as i often struggle to get a good clean path for a .22 bullet with the rushy fields and heather etc. Basically it makes the shots and covers the ground thats hard with the rifle and you certainly dont need to be as mindfull of backstops

Now does anyone know of any box lock non ejector doubles going cheap or loading presses? :hmm:

Kent i done some pattern test a while back on lots of different 410 carts and found the 2.5" patterned better than the 18g magnums my 2 fav's at the moment are Hull 11g 6s and layvelle 14g 7s give them a try they not too bad and you may be surprised

colin

Kent i done some pattern test a while back on lots of different 410 carts and found the 2.5" patterned better than the 18g magnums my 2 fav's at the moment are Hull 11g 6s and layvelle 14g 7s give them a try they not too bad and you may be surprised

colin

I will, i am quite impressed by the patterns of the 18grm load presently and as we know some guns like some shells others dont. i intend to test a few more though