.177 Pellets for rabbits.

Bear68

I've used Bisley Mags, very good and deadly, and AirArms Fields, very good and deadly....but in my guns, the AA's Fields have been a bit more accurate.

The guns being AA's 400 and 510, Daystate Mk3, BSA Ultra, and Loguns S16, probably a couple of others but I can't remember exactly what I've shot through the others.

Edited by -Mongrel-

• 2 weeks later...

If I could get Super H to shoot accurately I would use them for hunting. Sadly I have never managed decent accuracy with them in any rifle, I actually watched them corkscrewing towards paper targets.

Find the most accurate pellet you can and use it, the accuracy is the most important factor but if you find two equally accurate pellets use the one with the flattest trajectory - note that this is not necessarily the lightest pellet, some heavier pellets shoot flatter at the end of your range as they can hold energy better, I'm thinking specifically of the 9.5grn Logun Penetrator / Exterminator but there are others.

Many people find the JSB Exact / AA Field pellets work well, they would be my starting point if looking for an accurate pellet.

"Corkscrewing Pellets" The last time I posted on this subject (not on this site) someone who is very well known but shall be nameless on this occasion ,came along with a handful of mathematical formulae proving that what I had seen was completely impossible.I have seen this with a decent scope so I'm with you on this.In my case it was a Setra rifle which at about 15 yards or so would hit a 12 bore cartridge every time but at about 40 yards wouldn't hit a 5 gallon oil drum.

Pete.

"Corkscrewing Pellets" The last time I posted on this subject (not on this site) someone who is very well known but shall be nameless on this occasion ,came along with a handful of mathematical formulae proving that what I had seen was completely impossible.I have seen this with a decent scope so I'm with you on this.In my case it was a Setra rifle which at about 15 yards or so would hit a 12 bore cartridge every time but at about 40 yards wouldn't hit a 5 gallon oil drum.

Pete.

Hi Pete,

Obviously the mathematics was flawed, as I have watched the pellets do this time after time.

Hi Pete,

Obviously the mathematics was flawed, as I have watched the pellets do this time after time.

I don't think Newton is wrong, but that doesn't mean pellets can't corkscrew, it just means that for them to change direction they would need a force acting on them - maybe unequal air pressure on a deformed pellet as it spins could be enough.