New ferret housing

Boston

I have been working on the new ferret housing today, each house (3) being 7ft by 2.1/2 ft. I was wanting to know what paint / varnish I can use on the flooring and the side so I can wipe it out easily each morning.

The girl had a little play in it while I was in the shed before going back to their old hutch while this one is completed.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Trac...22/imag0007.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Trac.../IMAG0021-1.jpg

I have never felt it necessary to paint, or varnish the inside of a hutch.

There must be some pet friendly stuff you can use, but it probably won't stop the wood rotting in the toilet corner, which is the only real problem.

I know someone that tried sticking a vinyl floor covering (like lino) on the floor of the hutch, to make it wipe friendly and to protect the wood from urine.

The ferrets had it all up in about a week. :lol:

Perhaps someone has had a good experience with paint, or some coating and will post a response.

That is an impressive bank of hutches you have and 7ft x 2.5 ft is a good size. :good:

Even though they appear to be indoors, it might be a good idea to have a layer of roofing felt between the hutches, so that any liquids from the top hutches, doesn't seep through to the ones below.

Tilting the hutches slightly backwards, also helps.

You may already be doing these things, but its not too clear from the photographs.

Thanks for the replys!

I have just managed to arrange to spend the morning at a ferrets rescue center, bless her, the lady is going to give me one on one and prepaired for my barage of questions in exchange of me mucking in and helping her clean out her many courts and hutches :good: ... so hopefully I will get a better idea tomorrow of her clean out routeen ... she has 40+ at the moment not including babies :lol:

As for the hutches, they are a complete block, but are tilted back already :lol: but always worth a mention just in case. They are in a shed, but with out a door, just a fly screen and the window is always open for air flow.

Enjoy your morning, the prospect of mucking out 40 ferrets doesn't sound too appealing to me. :lol::lol:

Its always difficult in offering tips and advice, to know just how much so called "newcomers" already know.

Nobody wants to sound patronising, or "teaching Granny to suck eggs" etc.,

Best practise seems to be, offer it anyway and what you don't need, or don't like the sound of, just ignore. :good:

Fantastic answers guys ... but as for a shower ... I was waiting for two years before the old man got round to putting one in for me, God only knows how long the ferrets would wait .. but saying that they will be bringing in the food so it could be an instant job, I just cook the food, clean up, do his washing, nag at him to do the jobs he said he will do .... :lol::lol::lol:

I think we are going with yacht varnish, apparantly once dry this does the job well and keeps the hutches for an extra year or so.

As for this morning at the rescue .. no mucking out was done ... I had a worse task of standing in the ferret court with 8 - 10 castrated (not vasectomised :good: ) ferrets while she introduced them to me one by one as they undid my shoes over and over again and tried to climb up inside my rather baggy trouse legs. I thought I would have been safe with draw strings legs... but boy where they determined to get inside :o But it was an enjoyable day with loads of tips for hunting off the husband that used to ferret ... ho and Matt (old man) booked a rather big albino baby in view to becoming our vasectomised hoblet. I was good and did not book any thing...

And even better news when we got home, a local farmer that we know well has agreed that when we are ready we can ferret her land stating that they are over run with rabbits but was waiting for somebody they knew to take up the hobby!!

So, good news all ready today.