Curious Fellow...What is it???

Theskyfox

Hi all, Well basically I was in my garden this evening and saw this curious fellow land on my roof. Im used to seeing Woodpigeons and Magpies etc, but havent seen any birds quite like this one....at first I thought it was a feral pigeon, but it seems to colourful. Do you think it is a private racing pigeon or something? (I cannot see any ring?) Any information to satisfy my curiosity would be great!

-Andrew

pigeon1.jpg

Hi all, Well basically I was in my garden this evening and saw this curious fellow land on my roof. Im used to seeing Woodpigeons and Magpies etc, but havent seen any birds quite like this one....at first I thought it was a feral pigeon, but it seems to colourful. Do you think it is a private racing pigeon or something? (I cannot see any ring?) Any information to satisfy my curiosity would be great!

-Andrew

pigeon1.jpg

looks like a ferral to me nowt strange about it just i little brighter that the normal ferral imo :good:

-Andrew

pigeon1.jpg

looks like a ferral to me nowt strange about it just i little brighter that the normal ferral imo :good:

Oh oh I can finally post something about birds. I am basically a rabbit hunter with air rifle and do a few pheasants with shotty but never really bothered with birds and air rifles. Now here as I see it a rare but often occurrence. now before I tell this story I must advise I am no bird expert what I am about to pass on is what was said to me by an old guy who grows my garlic for me. He is a dude abut 110 years of age well he looks it. He is a strange old guy who keeps an allotment near my house, he also has a pigeon and dove loft. I have seen these birds at his place; he explained to me that this is a mating between a dove and a feral. I say it’s rare but often because it dose happen often but the feral gene is stronger than the dove so most offspring appear feral in appearance. Any how as I say it came from a strange old guy (don’t shoot the messenger)

Deffo ferral........

Ive even had brown and white ones......

Had a nice conditioned feral on the bird table the other day........Gun out of bedroom window............noticed it had a ring on......

Went out into the garden and it didnt move..........went over to table,, same thing.....just sat there...

Ended up picking it up and putting it in a box..........

Theres a bloke that keeps them down the road, it wasnt one of his, but I left it with him.....

If it aint got a ring on its leg its a feral ! Could well be some sort of dove hybrid but its still feral. As the others have said they really do come in every colour from pure white to multi colour.

Some of the ferals I've shot have been lovely looking birds.

Leeboy

• 4 weeks later...

Hi lads only just seen this post, these are tumbler pigeons. As with all pigeons these chaps breed like fury, but watch out that these aren't someone's birds that you are shooting. Given their tameness (recent post says they were landing whilst you were in the garden) have my concerns that even if they're not ringed they may be youngsters. Not sure what the legal aspect is.

its 110% feral

its coloring is whats known in the homing world as a grizzle the're many variations of grizzle birds

pigeons name feral/homing

blue bar

light chequer

dark chequer

red chequer

mealy

grizzle

and if they have white flight feathers aswell then pied is simply added :good::good: