Is shooting over stubble illegal

magoo the noo

In this case its best to read the license, you will see facts from Greymaster are pure rumour with no foundation as its not against the law to shoot Canada geese whatever the situation due to their non native status they don't need to be causing damage or a health risk same as parakeets etc you can eat your heart out shooting them

http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/Images/wlc-gl04_tcm6-24149.pdf

however pigeons do have a few technicalities attached so its best to know which bit you are using as good reason

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This seems to be the attitude of Hampshire Police. when asked why you are shooting you have to state the correct purpose under the GL. A shooter was successfully prosecuted for shooting Canadas on a golf course when he stated that he was shooting vermin without stating it was related to control of disease etc...

Iv not ever had any issues being stopped by hants police. Infact iv never been asked such questions, possibly because the police don't know the answers.

I have only ever been asked if I have permission to shoot on the ground that I was stopped on. Producing a copy of the permission letter and shotgun certificate saw me back to shooting within minutes.

Would be interested in reading about the goose case if you have a link ???

there won't be a link as its fiction, its not against the law to shoot Canadas and no need to proove they are being a nuisance or a health issue. As a foreign invasive species they can be culled no conditions attached as per the general license as long as you stick to the law regarding gun use etc

In this case its best to read the license, you will see facts from Greymaster are pure rumour with no foundation as its not against the law to shoot Canada geese whatever the situation due to their non native status they don't need to be causing damage or a health risk same as parakeets etc you can eat your heart out shooting them

http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/Images/wlc-gl04_tcm6-24149.pdf

however pigeons do have a few technicalities attached so its best to know which bit you are using as good reason

Thanks for the info mate, I had to read it a couple of times to understand it.

Regards James

commonsense to us says we are reducing the pigeon population but does it really fit the GL?

We aren't protecting an existing crop since the crop has already been harvested, new crop hasn't been sown.

Previous attempts at prevention of crop damage? Dodgy! Was there scarecrows or gas guns?

Can you prove it?

I'm not trying to be unduly negative but sooner or later someone is going to get challenged about shooting on stubble when there's no crop to protect within a mile or so.

Roost shooting could be seen in a bad light as well, what about using decoys? deliberately pulling birds in range in a field that's already been harvested?

Baiting birds is another great one, how many threads advocate using carcases or eggs to attract crows and magpies?

Illegal if you abide by the GL.

It's a massive minefield of loopholes, be careful!

Lots of grey areas that we all need to be careful of

come on then lets have a confirmation of that one, canadas are as an invasive non native species on the part of the GL where you don't have to proove damage.

With regard to this case the technicality is correct as would be the question have you tried non lethal means of deterrent first? In practice everyone does shoot them but its a shady area but one that is unenforced.

Speak with PC Mick Ames of Hampshire Police.

there won't be a link as its fiction, its not against the law to shoot Canadas and no need to proove they are being a nuisance or a health issue. As a foreign invasive species they can be culled no conditions attached as per the general license as long as you stick to the law regarding gun use etc

Speak with PC 1536 Mick Ames of Hampshire Police. hart.rural.snt@hampshire.pnn.police.uk

Read the account in the paper here:

http://www.telegraph...-on-course.html

The police brought a prosecution because he didn't state the correct purpose under the GL, but the Magistrates found in his favour by deeming the correct purpose, My point was that you need to be able to state the relevant clause under the GL or plod will have you up before the bench and you will be without your guns until the case is decided.

I was led to believe by Pc Ames that they had won the case, but it seems they had won the point only. Sorry for any confusion.

However, a condition did attach and you cannot simply state that they are vermin and not have plod in your face.

Edited by Greymaster

Speak with PC 1536 Mick Ames of Hampshire Police. hart.rural.snt@hampshire.pnn.police.uk

Read the account in the paper here:

http://www.telegraph...-on-course.html

The police brought a prosecution because he didn't state the correct purpose under the GL, but the Magistrates found in his favour by deeming the correct purpose, My point was that you need to be able to state the relevant clause under the GL or plod will have you up before the bench and you will be without your guns until the case is decided.

I was led to believe by Pc Ames that they had won the case, but it seems they had won the point only. Sorry for any confusion.

However, a condition did attach and you cannot simply state that they are vermin and not have plod in your face.

That link purely shows the police making a tragic waste of public money and not understanding the law. It was as much about the slight issue of did he have permission or not. You need nothing to comply as far as shooting Canada's is concerned pigeons yes but not Canada's. It's a classic case where the wildlife officer needs more training or a strip torn off for not reading the gl

Re the reason for culling. I was given a very stern lecture by PC Ames about giving the "proper reason" and was told of the prosecution as a warning. Giving the "wrong reason" would be treated as an admission of a breach of the GL. My colleague who couldn't produce his SGC in the field was reminded again about the prosecution when he took it in to the local nick.

The case does seem to be being used as an example, even though the shooter was vindicated.

Re the reason for culling. I was given a very stern lecture by PC Ames about giving the "proper reason" and was told of the prosecution as a warning. Giving the "wrong reason" would be treated as an admission of a breach of the GL. My colleague who couldn't produce his SGC in the field was reminded again about the prosecution when he took it in to the local nick.

The case does seem to be being used as an example, even though the shooter was vindicated.

This pc seems like a bit of a jobs worth......... You do not legally have to carry your sgc.

• 1 month later...

http://www.naturalen..._tcm6-24149.pdf

Can someone clarify the General Licence wording for me please? I'm reading it as the species listed in both (2)(i)(a) and (2)(i)( b ) can be killed only for the purposes set out in paragraph (1)......

Parakeets and Canada Geese included? as they are listed in (2)(i)( b ). I hear what everyone is saying about non-native, but where does it say exempt in the licence? Or am I just being thick?

Edited by SniperCWF