Terriers for beating ?

smilersmiff

I have a 4yr old Parsons Jack Russell that is fairly well trained in that it will sit, wait, lay down and retrieve.

I have been invited to do some beating next season on a small informal shoot.

The shoot captain said I was welcome to bring the dog alongand I think that he would really enjoy it.

The problem I have is that I dont want the dog to misbehave by running in or doing something that he shouldnt.

I thought about taking him but keeping him on the lead just to see what happens.

What do you think ? does anybody else use a terrier in the beating line ?

I'm on a lovely small informal shoot. I have 2 springers and a boarder. The boarder is a great little flusher but I wouldn't recommend allowing him to retreave as they are hard mouthed and will damage the game. Both myself and the dog take a lot away from the day and I strongly recommend you take him along.

I stick a hi vis jacket on mine as she is fox coloured and although we have a no ground game rule someone may get tempted one day.

Good luck

I have 2 JRT's and they are always welcomed on the small shoot I go on as there are some thick vegitation that only they can get into.

They generally work hard and play hard so aslong as they are in control go for it you never know it could improve the flush I know mine do.

Good luck and get out there.

Our Cairn thinks he`s part spaniel too. He comes beating every year and more than capable of retreives off water with duck and pheasant of the ground and from thick cover to !

Most of the time he`s kept on the lead apart from around the pond and towards the end of a drive where he is let off to help flush the last of the birds which he does well !

The shoot I take him to is just a small informal friendly shoot with just 3 beaters (although we have a walking back gun) and 6 dogs !

Touch wood hes able to be trusted with game and has never pegged a bird !

ATB

Matt

My Border is brilliant at flushing game,and is always welcome in the beating line.First into the water and often last out,in the past she has retrieved rabbits(always dead!),dead and live pheasant,ducks,pigeons(not keen on the feathers though)and even Greylag.She has never been trained but simply grew up copying other dogs on the shoots,but will 'wait' and stop to whistle,but when all's said and done she is a terrier so I have to keep a close eye on her,as given the chance she will 'run in'.Great dogs.

Always take my Patterdale when I go beating she is really good at finding and flushing birds. There are a couple of drives on one shoot that are really thick with brambles and the keeper always asks if I will put my terrier in these. Does not retrieve as has no interest in dead birds but will find and "dispatch " any runners.