30-06 or 45-70

welshwarrior

I have decided to buy a new rifle for boar and then deer. Instead of 12 bore slugs.

I have settled on a Baikal sbs rifle I have always wanted a double rifle. They come in 30-06 or 45-70 now which is better I know a 06 will shoot flatter and is better at longer ranged but most if not all my shots will be sub 150 m if not 75m.

Ok so I need to test fire both really on a range but for short range work read this and some US forums the 45-70 looks good and will feel like an old school double.

The 30-06 wins if I'm going to push the range out beyond 200 but will snag more on reloading as it is rimless.

Decisions decisions

If its a double rifle then long range isn't really an issue, in which case the 45/70 would be my preferred option. I have friends who use them for "bear defence" in Canada. They hit like the Hammer of the Gods. Since its not going in a lever you have a better choice of bullet, though Hornady's FTX gives lever users more choice. I would go with a 45/70 over a 30-06

Im lead to believe that the military calibre thing is being revised shortly

I hope not tooooo soooon :no: :no: as its giving me a reason to buy another rifle calibre :good:

Oh !!! double rifles are OK if your sure you aint gona need more that 2 shots on a group of Boar, If you get say a group of 1/2 a doz you only have 2 shots on a double or say 5 shots using a bolt action My choice would be the 5 shot mag.

Of course only my opinion :good:

I think the 45-70 falls short of all UK deer on muzzle velocity, so check the legislation it needs to do 2450 fps- does it get there?

Good point looks like its 30-06 then. Hornady do have a 250gr bullet and Hodgdon have some max loads with a 300gr bullet which go approach 2400 so it is probably theoretically possible with a 250gr bullet, but its probably less aggro to get a 30-06

I think the 45-70 falls short of all UK deer on muzzle velocity, so check the legislation it needs to do 2450 fps- does it get there?

Very good point looks like its the 30-06 then.

Oh !!! double rifles are OK if your sure you aint gona need more that 2 shots on a group of Boar, If you get say a group of 1/2 a doz you only have 2 shots on a double or say 5 shots using a bolt action My choice would be the 5 shot mag.

Of course only my opinion :good:

Yes 5 shots in the bolt I can fire 6 slugs fast in my sbs slug gun than I could in my 308!

This will be my sixth year going to Croatia to shoot Boar.

I use an over/under 30.06 made by Fair (I think it is the same company as the Lincoln guns).It groups 2 shots 2 inches apart at 100 meters using Fedral 180 grain bullets.

But with 150grain they are about5/6 inches apart. It is topped with a leopold 1.5-5x24 scope. and being an ejector is pretty quick to load.

I supose I would favour a 30-06.

Saw some one at the range yesterday using an under lever 45-70 and it shot pretty well,but he did say you have to be a bit carefull which bullets you use because the

recoil could possibly set off a round in the magazine tube.

Remember that the 2450ft/sec velocity minimum only applies in Scotland. If you're in England all you need is a minimum of .240 cal and 1700 ft/lbs. The .45-70 can double that energy figure and I'd imagine (but don't know) that a double could handle some heavy loads.

I recently bought a marlin .45-70 and am in the process of working up loads. Pointed bullets could be risky under recoil in a tube fed gun, but there are some hornady bullets which get round this with a pointed, flexible sythetic tip. The .30-06 still wins on versatility though.