Cold Game Retrieves.

ETO

Not sure if this is alright in here. Mods move it if not :)

So this was Pennie's 1st go at cold game retrieves and Louie's 3rd. Sourcing cold game for me is pretty difficult but a good friend managed to get me this one. :) Pennie is coming up to 8 months old.

I started out with the dummies first to get her attention, only managed one photo though, two hands + treats + clicker + camera - doesn't work so well.

155282_10151880482268912_2093559081_n.jpg

Then I put the bird out for her to fathom.

311241_10151880482463912_1151446665_n.jpg

577282_10151880482328912_1327275305_n.jpg

12906_10151880482633912_766535811_n.jpg

479911_10151880482808912_1333363816_n.jpg

Not bad for a kidda.

Then the boys turn.

420832_10151880482953912_1868472291_n.jpg

487404_10151880483048912_724737469_n.jpg

I love love love this one.

155193_10151880483188912_346915102_n.jpg

What a clown!

391760_10151880483358912_461525636_n.jpg

1041_10151880483423912_1595330253_n.jpg

Thanks for looking. And the bird is slightly frozen, I forgot to take it out this morning before I left for work.. Oh and I must say I am proud of myself, touching dead things is not a strong point, nor are birds.. they creep me out!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great pics there pal

Thank you :)

Nice pics. Never heard of a shooter with a gun dog who's creeped out by birds lol.

I don't shoot. And I've only owned gun dogs for two years, the boy being my first. But birds creep me out anyway. It's there eyes! I was sat in the town centre with my parents once and my Mother so cruelly says "there's one behind you" and laughed as I jumped up and screamed.. I hate pigeons and chickens - they're the worst! :lol: It all stems from when my cousin's Budgie kept flying at me then sitting and actually laughing at me..

hope you've eaten the pheasant and not wasted it, sorry if it sounds harsh but are you actually going to use the dogs for retrieving or is this just playing. I've an increasing number of people I know and "gun dog" training seems to be the in thing at the moment one on from showing but with no intention of ever using them. It does seem a little odd if you don't shoot

hope you've eaten the pheasant and not wasted it, sorry if it sounds harsh but are you actually going to use the dogs for retrieving or is this just playing. I've an increasing number of people I know and "gun dog" training seems to be the in thing at the moment one on from showing but with no intention of ever using them. It does seem a little odd if you don't shoot

i don't see it as odd,as long as the dogs are enjoying them selves and getting plenty of exercise.

The pheasant will be their dinner when I have finished using it for game retrieves, the wings and pelt will be used for their dummies and scent work.

And why do you think I joined a shooting forum if I have no intention of working them? I don't see the point in owning dogs if they don't do the work they are bred to do or an activity that works their mind. Please don't berate me when you don't know me. I take my dogs seriously. And I don't shoot because I couldn't bring myself to kill an animal.

The pheasant will be their dinner when I have finished using it for game retrieves, the wings and pelt will be used for their dummies and scent work.

And why do you think I joined a shooting forum if I have no intention of working them? I don't see the point in owning dogs if they don't do the work they are bred to do or an activity that works their mind. Please don't berate me when you don't know me. I take my dogs seriously. And I don't shoot because I couldn't bring myself to kill an animal.

A very honest reply and fair play for training your dogs for what they are bred for. Don't know if your plans are to eventually use your dogs for picking up on a shoot but if they are you will need to get to grips with the dispatching of a bird as a number will be retrieved still alive and will need dispatching by you.

Not having a dig but just raising a point :good:

A very honest reply and fair play for training your dogs for what they are bred for. Don't know if your plans are to eventually use your dogs for picking up on a shoot but if they are you will need to get to grips with the dispatching of a bird as a number will be retrieved still alive and will need dispatching by you.

Not having a dig but just raising a point :good:

Thank you, I am well aware of the whole dispatching of game that may be needed, but I don't think I'll be learning that for a while.. I'm just going to train my dogs up and get to that bit when I need too..

why dont you join a gundog club and enter field tests you can have as much fun and you dont have to deal with live birds plus you learn alot more being round people who are as like minded as yourself alb with your dogs

I can't do field tests.. the dogs are crosses.

I can't join a club.. they're all too far away and I don't drive.

I'll just have to stop being a big girl and learn to dispatch game.

Road kill is an excellent source of cold game for non shooters and off season, just get there early before the crows etc. Actually using birds still frozen hard can preserve them for another day if you pop them back in the freezer (its a ruse we use to handle hard mouth tendencies and game eaters). Dont listen to the knockers, your critic dont even pick up his dead rabbits said so before on here previously- keep it up and enjoy. There are some tests run for non pedigree gundogs, there is a wildfowler who runs a Hancock bred quarter collie greyhound quite sucsessfully. If your realy stuggling for game there is always the direct approach to gamedealers for the more shot up specimines etc.

Road kill is an excellent source of cold game for non shooters and off season, just get there early before the crows etc. Actually using birds still frozen hard can preserve them for another day if you pop them back in the freezer (its a ruse we use to handle hard mouth tendencies and game eaters). Dont listen to the knockers, your critic dont even pick up his dead rabbits said so before on here previously- keep it up and enjoy. There are some tests run for non pedigree gundogs, there is a wildfowler who runs a Hancock bred quarter collie greyhound quite sucsessfully. If your realy stuggling for game there is always the direct approach to gamedealers for the more shot up specimines etc.

Thank you, I'm not struggling per say it's just finding the right people at the right time. :) Thank you for your kind words. I don't bother with people who don't know me and what I'm about. Forums are full of people who don't know much..

sorry it wasn't meant to offend its just I see an increase locally of people with a gun dog breed buying the dog the clothing, going to training taking pictures of their dogs chewing cold game taking photos but never wanting to go on a shooting field. Its not having a go but are you sure agility or something similar wouldn't be more suitable, by your words you don't like handling dead birds and live ones are an issue as is killing them. The unfortunate facts are the reason we use dogs on a shooting field is particularly to collect any birds that are injured so the handler can despatch them, anyone on any of our shoots who left those birds for someone else wouldn't be invited again. Dead birds the guns can pick up its the runners that test the dogs and handlers and are particularly important to deal with humanely.

The main thing is its not everyones cup of tea we have a fair few women on our shoots they enjoy working their dogs but do despatch birds when required. There are plenty of activities done to stimulate dogs if handling dead and wounded game isn't your thing.

sorry it wasn't meant to offend its just I see an increase locally of people with a gun dog breed buying the dog the clothing, going to training taking pictures of their dogs chewing cold game taking photos but never wanting to go on a shooting field. Its not having a go but are you sure agility or something similar wouldn't be more suitable, by your words you don't like handling dead birds and live ones are an issue as is killing them. The unfortunate facts are the reason we use dogs on a shooting field is particularly to collect any birds that are injured so the handler can despatch them, anyone on any of our shoots who left those birds for someone else wouldn't be invited again. Dead birds the guns can pick up its the runners that test the dogs and handlers and are particularly important to deal with humanely.

The main thing is its not everyones cup of tea we have a fair few women on our shoots they enjoy working their dogs but do despatch birds when required. There are plenty of activities done to stimulate dogs if handling dead and wounded game isn't your thing.

How bloody dare you suggest that agility might be something more my speed! I may be a woman but what does that mean, oh I don't have a penis, thats all it means. I was practically raised in a country park, my Dad only took me home during the week so I could get an education. Just because I find birds creepy does not mean that if one needed dispatching humanely that I wouldn't be up to the task. I would rather bring myself to put one out of it's pain than let it suffer. I know what gundogs are used for. Don't treat me like a half wit. And you didn't offend me. Your dinosaur way of thinking angered me. As for the dead ones - I'm overcoming that, I mean, someone had to take the bird out of the game bag and place it in strategic places to work the dog didn't they? Oh yeah, that would be me.

If I didn't enjoy training my dogs to do what they were bred for. I would've gotten a toy breed. And as it is, Labs are not really made for the agility scene.. they haven't got the matched speed of a collie, nor the grace to stay on the dog walk.

Think before you speak next time. I am fed up of people judging me because I don't shoot and I'm a woman! You may think that it's now an "in" thing but I have been training Louie for 2 years now. Therefore I surpass your "trend" theory.

you wouldn't be putting one out of its misery though on a sensible sized shoot you could be doing a couple every drive and being in the action watching everything being killed, and if you get an iffy team of guns its your responsibility to sort out the problems.