Hard Drive Partitioning on Sony Vaio Laptop - Help!

PhilR

My laptop has an 80Gb hard drive and it has been partitioned. The C drive contains the operating system and the D drive all my files. The C drive is almost full, just 5Gb left and I've got just under 13Gb on the D drive.

I would be obliged if someone can help me, in very simple language, to transfer some of the available space from the D to C drive.

I'm using Windows XP.

As above, but if you MUST move them for the time being, click the start button, all programs, accessories, windows explorer.

When this opens, click on computer in the left hand pane, then C:.This will show you all the files in C:

Click the ones you want to move then drag them to D: (also in the left hand column)

Word of note: Your D: drive might contain files for system recovery. If it is a recovery partition, best leave it alone!

Hi Phil

I'm not going to add to the different ways you can manipulate the storage on you computer, as this will only add to confusion.

What I will advise though mate is that, looking at the capacity of 80GB, I will hesitate a guess that your laptop is some 5+ years old. Being you have used over 60gb of storage again I will guess this is mainly taken up with photos and possibly videos, music, personal files etc.

You want to be looking at backing all this data up somewhere separate to your main PC. God forbid your hard drive fails ( though there are various recovery methods possible that can sometimes work) you could end up losing all your personal data.

Invest in an external hard drive and move all your personal data over, they aren't very expensive but worth their weight in gold.

I prefer to copy to an external hard drive rather than move, this way I always have two sets of my data just in case, one on my PC and a full copy on the external hard drive; In your case since your laptop has a small hard drive, you may want to move some and copy some across.

If you want to discuss any of the above, give me a shout.

Cos

Hi Phil,

As above, either chuck a bigger drive in there. Or, dump to external. However, it would be best to do both as then you have a duplicate. If you are really not that bothered about backup/resilience, bring it next time you're at Wobbly and i'll increase the partition size for you. It will only take a few minutes. I may even have a bigger drive floating around depending on if it's SATA or IDE.

:)

Edited by huffhuff

Hi Phil

I'm not going to add to the different ways you can manipulate the storage on you computer, as this will only add to confusion.

What I will advise though mate is that, looking at the capacity of 80GB, I will hesitate a guess that your laptop is some 5+ years old. Being you have used over 60gb of storage again I will guess this is mainly taken up with photos and possibly videos, music, personal files etc.

You want to be looking at backing all this data up somewhere separate to your main PC. God forbid your hard drive fails ( though there are various recovery methods possible that can sometimes work) you could end up losing all your personal data.

Invest in an external hard drive and move all your personal data over, they aren't very expensive but worth their weight in gold.

I prefer to copy to an external hard drive rather than move, this way I always have two sets of my data just in case, one on my PC and a full copy on the external hard drive; In your case since your laptop has a small hard drive, you may want to move some and copy some across.

If you want to discuss any of the above, give me a shout.

Cos

Agreed .... Click Free ....Are very good.

Hi Guys,

Thank you for your assistance. I've already got a 150Gb iomega external drive that I back up to, when I remember! I like the idea of a bigger hard drive in the computer, I've already upgraded the memory from 512Mb to 2k. The computer walks at snails pace despite me having a good clear out of junk, and defragging both drives (took all day yesterday). The D drive BTW is purely for my application data not a recovery drive.

There's two product numbers on it VGN-FS415B shows on the label by the keyboard and below the screen, and on a label on the underside it's a PCG-7G1M. I don't know whether the drive is SATA, PATA or IDE, or what capacity to go for, is the biggest best? I'd certainly like it to zip along faster than it does now.

BTW Cos you're spot on it was bought in March 2006.

Cheers,

Phil

unfortunately because it's an old IDE, you're fairly limited - 160gb being about as big as they get.

actually i've found a 250gb...

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item337cb5618a

I forgot I'd got Belarc on the computer and I've just run it and the hard drive is a Toshiba MK8025GAS I've googled that and it seems that it's an ATA-6 interface so is that the same as IDE?

buy a new laptop, move the stuff over all flog old laptop, all your problems solved. That might seem flippant but frankly it always ends up cheaper and easier than trying to flog a dead horse.

You may well be right but I've got two cars queueing up for expensive repairs and I don't have the spare cash for another laptop. What I have got is spare time and if a larger hard drive will cure my problem with a little time and effort on my part then that's the route I'll take.

no it's still an IDE

Cheers Nick. I'll have a look at the ebay link now.

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I've now got a 160Gb hard drive up and running. Special thanks to Cos for talking me through the process of cloning the old one and installation of the new. Seems to be working fine now, touch wood.