Shooting crows

Topgunners

I got a phone call from one of my farmer's yesterday saying the blackies were 'Battering his shoots', so I popped over about 5.30pm last night and saw quite a few flying about.

Decided to go out for an hour or two before work this morning.

All I had in the van was my gun , cartridges, a small fold-up stool and a bag of deeks.

The idea was to try and bury myself in the hedgerow and keep still until ready to shoot. The only problem was the wind was all wrong and i had to sit down behind a wire fence and a couple of stalks for cover.

I rang my hoppo up and he said " You are wasting your time without any netting" but I had a brainwave of an idea and to my left I opened up my camo gun case fully and in front of me I stood my deek bag up and to my right the little cluster of stalks.

I used 12 deeks. 4 full-bodied plastic and 8 half-shell flocks and i spread these out in front of the hide with a full and 1 half at the forefront of the pattern just in front of the hide 15-18 yards out.

What I do love is the bouncing sticks; either wooden or the new "Z-Head ones I purchased from Weston Park.

BRILLIANT !!!!!!!!!!!

Well, to say it worked was nothing short of amazing as I shot 19 crows and 5 pigeons in 1 1/4 hours.

I had to keep perfectly still until the very very last minute but had some cracking sport and hope i DIDN'T WAKE TOO MANY PEOPLE UP AT THAT EARLY HOUR (7 O'CLOCK).

:good::/

any body else have any improvisation ideas that work.;)?:)?

Dave K

Did you use a call at all dave, I know you didn't say you had one with you..

Been using a cheapo one, the only one my local dealer had, with some reasonable success. Wait for them to come close ish and give it some, seems to do something. Had a dozen or so in an hour tonight where I might have had 2 in the last 3 months - so it does work :good:

Like Teal, I have had success with a cammo net suit, just sitting in the hedge.

Its ideal if you only have a short time out, or need to be on the move after the birds.

I also use a 5ft square piece of ex MOD cammo net, which does roll up suprising small.

This I either drape over myself, or use as a "front wall" in a hedge, or ditch.

Keeping still is the important bit.