Little Crabs - are they edible?

Vince Green

This question goes back to the summer when were in Poole Harbour. There are always loads of small boys 'crabbing', My kids used to do it there when they were young.They catch little tiddlers about 2" across This year there were some older blokes with big dop nets there, I would imagine they were catching them for bait (?) but I wondered, having caught them could you eat them if you were so inclined? You would have to catch loads to make it worth trying but are they actually edible?

Question.

If you are going to cook and chop these ickle crabs, do you not need to remove the dead mans fingers as you would for large crabs? Are they not poisonous or at least likely to make you rather unwell?

You are not eating them as you will be straining the liquid.

Toxins wont be released, you wouldnt be able to eat crab at all if they were.

They won't be catching them for bait as the peeler crab that's used for bait does not feed during the peeling process hence no use in using a baited drop net. The local kids here just catch and release as they are a different species than the brown edible

They might be catching for bait small hard back crab are a popular bait for fish such as smoothhounds and wrasse.