Night time rat shooting??

rallyrus

Get there just as it's getting dark and you'll probably see a couple moving, use dimmer on lamp. Bait with peanut butter or runny cat food they can't see far so cammo is not needed, but they hear good so quiet. Look for activity hotspots, footprints near puddles where they drink is a good one, and from experience i have found don't shoot them if only their head is poking out of a hole as it will block up the hole and stop others coming out. I usually stop when either i've had enough or the squeaking and running around has stopped and the've twigged your there.

Was thinking of parking about 35/40 yds away an shooting from the truck window, there is a shed with feed in it which they are going to with runs and holes everywhere around it, I'm surprised I havn't seen any in the day when I've been there the amount of runs, holes etc

Going to take the .22lr and the air rifle, me and a mate taking it in turns to shoot

A 12 v dc car indicator orange bulb run off a small amperage battery is another alternative. :good: Little bit of soldering and i put mine in a used small drinks bottle so if bulb should smash no glass is dropped onto whatever it's hanging over. Make sure to make some holes to allow heat to escape.

It worked in the end russ and thanyou for the great night. I do wish you wasnt married so we could have a civil partnership together,no touching or kissing though. In future I will lay off the carrots.

It worked in the end russ and thanyou for the great night. I do wish you wasnt married so we could have a civil partnership together,no touching or kissing though. In future I will lay off the carrots.

Awesome sport and whats more no guilt about making a big bag. I think its fair to say a lot of us started off with an air rifle and rats by torchlight. I know i did with a HW35 .22 cal. issue was only finding enough school mates who were game enough to try it as these were the days before gunlight kits, when a big modified rally type spotlight and motorbike battery was state of the art for the lurcher work

• 3 weeks later...

Pad up warm, Get a good rest, handwarmer, plenty of ammo, soup/coffee, lamp, lamp batteries.

My current favourite bait.

Half jar of peanut butter mixed with quarter jar of sunflower seed oil mixed with another quarter of golden syrup, put in the microwave till warm.

The warm sunflower oil/ peanuts have a certain smell to them, and has worked well for the devious rats that are a bit wise.

Chocolate spread works will so im told, but so far i havent tried it.