FAC and a Conviction

Patrick1

wise up PNC checks are carried out on applications for work with many employers. You sign thats its ok, same as a club no sighn= no job or no membership- its that simple

I am in two clubs and was not asked to sign anything allowing the police pass on my details to the club. And have never being asked by a employer to sign anything..

Firearms licensing: clubs/target shooting

Guidance on the Criteria

The club must be a genuine rifle and/or muzzle-loading pistol club set up for the purpose of target shooting. The club's constitution should implement the conditions of approval.

Club officials should be responsible people who are not disqualified from being in possession of firearms. See What is a prohibited person?

Clubs must make their own arrangements for assessing whether or not prospective members are of good character.( Police Firearms Licensing Departments should not be asked to disclose whether or not someone has a criminal record.) Prospective members should not be required to apply for a firearm or shotgun certificate as a means of determining good character. Firearm certificates are not normally issued to someone just because they are a probationary member of a club.

PS. Maybe you should wise-up.

Edited by ordnance

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ordnance in reply to your post on general criteria do you feel this would be a good approach.

Might email my local rifle and shooting club, explaining my convictions to them, and my intrest in .22 target shooting. Also to ask to see if they would be prepared to accept me as a probationary member with my convictions, so that I can shoot and then become a full member, but still not apply for my FAC for another 3 years. i then would have been a full member for 2 an half years and an a avid shooter. All advice greatly appreciated chaps.

Cheers Patrick.

Hi Ordnance in reply to your post on general criteria do you feel this would be a good approach.

Might email my local rifle and shooting club, explaining my convictions to them, and my intrest in .22 target shooting. Also to ask to see if they would be prepared to accept me as a probationary member with my convictions, so that I can shoot and then become a full member, but still not apply for my FAC for another 3 years. i then would have been a full member for 2 an half years and an a avid shooter. All advice greatly appreciated chaps.

Cheers Patrick.

Hi Patrick All i can tell you is what i did when applying for a FAC. I have three minor convictions going back 20 years or so when i applied for a FAC i just put the convictions on the form. There was no problems i got the certificate i did not approach the police with any queries beforehand. As for joining a club Its always helpful if you know someone that's in a club to introduce you. But if you pass the criteria for getting a certificate if you are in a club or not shouldn't make any difference. If you have a certificate before approaching a club they know that the police have already checked your background. I was shooting for 20 years before joining a club. PS I know people with much more serious convictions than you who have firearms certificates.

Edited by ordnance

But if you pass the criteria for getting a certificate if you are in a club or not shouldn't make any difference. I was shooting for 20 years before joining a club. PS I know people with much more serious convictions than you who have firearms certificates.

I don't know the law in Northern Ireland but it is different to the mainland UK where to have an FAC for target shooting you have to be full member of a Home Office approved Club, which means filling out the forms and doing the probationary period this is also a good idea as if you decide target smallbore, fullbore, LBR etc shooting isn't for you, then you haven't wasted loads of money.

I don't know the law in Northern Ireland but it is different to the mainland UK where to have an FAC for target shooting you have to be full member of a Home Office approved Club, which means filling out the forms and doing the probationary period this is also a good idea as if you decide target smallbore, fullbore, LBR etc shooting isn't for you, then you haven't wasted loads of money.

I would say they are broadly the same with a few notable differences pistols are sec1 for example. You need a FAC for any firearm air rifle included If you buy a .22 dedicated target rifle or m4 or pistol for example then you would need to be in a club. There is a 1 year probationary period the club can apply for this to be shortened in certain circumstances.

What about a conviction for Cannabis 14 years ago ? I got my Shotgun Cert ok............but FAC, what do you think guys ? I would love a .22lr for Rabbits ( maybe .17HMR), have private land to shoot on .

I'm a good boy now guv......honest !! :lookaround:

I would say try and see what happens. The worst can happen is they will say no.

What about a conviction for Cannabis 14 years ago ? I got my Shotgun Cert ok............but FAC, what do you think guys ? I would love a .22lr for Rabbits ( maybe .17HMR), have private land to shoot on .

If you've been granted a SGC then i dont see why not.You're obviously not deemed a threat to others or yourself and provided you can satisfy the licensing bods you're safe and have land to shoot over then i say go for it.

hi spoke to my Firearms enquiry line today, and they told me that the target shooting club would not approach them to check on me, and that my conviction would most likely not stop me from getting an FAC when I would become a full memeber, but the FEO would talk to me about it.

Cheers

hi spoke to my Firearms enquiry line today, and they told me that the target shooting club would not approach them to check on me, and that my conviction would most likely not stop me from getting an FAC when I would become a full memeber, but the FEO would talk to me about it.

Cheers

That has been the best thing you have done so far.

Only they will decide in the long run

:shaun:

Quote.ordnance, on 04 November 2012 - 10:24 PM, said:

The police should not be giving information on any individual to any cub. I am not even sure if that would be legal.

Quote kent. wise up PNC checks are carried out on applications for work with many employers. You sign that's its OK, same as a club no sighn= no job or no membership- its that simple.

Firearms licensing: clubs/target shooting

Guidance on the Criteria

The club must be a genuine rifle and/or muzzle-loading pistol club set up for the purpose of target shooting. The club's constitution should implement the conditions of approval.

Club officials should be responsible people who are not disqualified from being in possession of firearms. See What is a prohibited person?

Clubs must make their own arrangements for assessing whether or not prospective members are of good character.( Police Firearms Licensing Departments should not be asked to disclose whether or not someone has a criminal record.) Prospective members should not be required to apply for a firearm or shotgun certificate as a means of determining good character. Firearm certificates are not normally issued to someone just because they are a probationary member of a club.

Quore. Patrick1, on 06 November 2012 - 11:05 AM, said:

Hi spoke to my Firearms enquiry line today, and they told me that the target shooting club would not approach them to check on me.

Hi kent i am still waiting for you to back up your earlier wise up post. Manta.

Edited by ordnance

If you have a shotgun certificate then I cannot see how your conviction would resault in the refusal of a firearm certificate. The 'fit and proper person' and 'public safety' considerations are the same for both so if you are fit to be issued one then you are fit to be issued with the other.

J.

as most have said apply and see,join a club.if you join a club before applying then the club sec will be one of your refs.

just one thing to remember someone will correct if wrong that if you apply and our turned down you will be a prohibited person and wont be able to shoot at a club,your feo will be able to tell you at interview if you are likely to be turned down just withdraw your application carry on shooting at the club and try again at a later date.

as most have said apply and see,join a club.if you join a club before applying then the club sec will be one of your refs.

Nope. A club oficial cannot be a referee on a grant application but must be so upon renewal.

just one thing to remember someone will correct if wrong that if you apply and our turned down you will be a prohibited person and wont be able to shoot at a club,

Corrected for you.

J.