Peregrine falcon

Got a new pond this year on a large farm that just hasn't worked , haven't been to it so far this season with a gun!

Anyway at the nearest village a guy I know is allowed to feed a splash on the boundary of the farm far enough away from the pond and not doing any harm!

I spoke to him recently and said that there's no hope of ducks as this falcon is in the area, he having witnessed while out n about the falcon take a mallard clean out the air and a teal ! Never heard of this but I'm taking his word for it!

Now I'm looking for reasons as to why this pond hasn't worked so far it's a cracking wee pond could it be this falcon is working this area! I very briefly was getting good numbers of duck into it at the start of sept then went away for a week and been nothing on since! We recently took a load of weed that seems to double by the day out to try and clear the water a bit but still nothing

The splash I mentioned is prob a good half a mike away and wonder if there is a falcon takin duck as they go into splash will they work my pond and possibly put the frighteners up anything that's been near it??

defo mate , i know of people who feed ponds to fly there falcons on the duck ,

i used to see them regular on a estuary working the tide for waders and duck .

1/2 a mile is only seconds away to one of them , ive even had one take a pigeon that was pitched to my decoys . great sight to see

Is there much other disturbance going on in & around your pond Markboy ? & how often do you shoot it ? nothing can be done about your visiting peregrine but on the good side of things the peregrine will only take what it needs unlike some other 4 legged & 2 legged predators !.

If you are lucky enough to see a peregrine stoop & take a duck clean out of the air just sit back & admire as its sight not many get to see .

Good luck Pole Star

No but whatever was using it in sept and I swear the pond was covered in fresh feather has been scared away ! You can blame rain, but the duck knew there was food there and there hasn't been a thing back in the space of a week both occasions the feed completely gone ! To having nothing at all at flight time ! I don't blame all the rain! I would blame rain for a drop in numbers using it but not for nothing to use it after a week!

Look at pond at torthorwald with all the rain there's always been something using it at night fair enough it might only be half a dozen but they know its there and numbers building with over 50 on this morn

No but whatever was using it in sept and I swear the pond was covered in fresh feather has been scared away ! You can blame rain, but the duck knew there was food there and there hasn't been a thing back in the space of a week both occasions the feed completely gone ! To having nothing at all at flight time ! I don't blame all the rain! I would blame rain for a drop in numbers using it but not for nothing to use it after a week!

Look at pond at torthorwald with all the rain there's always been something using it at night fair enough it might only be half a dozen but they know its there and numbers building with over 50 on this morn

Maybe they just don't like your pond ! it happens ! :whistling:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One of the best flight ponds I have ever known had a peregrine or often the pair, waiting on at least 3 or 4 times a week. One duck got whacked, usually a teal, then the other 4 or 500 ducks came in unpeturbed,

This season there has been a constant area of floodwater available in most areas. If this is a new and previously unfed pond, especially given the weeks break in feeding, it is quite possible the duck never really got in to a routine of flighting in. Other sources of disturbance are also possible. Another point to consider if feed is going but nothing flights at dusk may be that duck use it by day or as a dawn flighting pond. They do that on some ponds.

It has been a generally tough year for flighting even on long established ponds so don't be too despondent. Start feeding early next season, at least a month before you intend to shoot it, shoot lightly and leave early and see if things improve for you.

• 1 month later...